A little KOTOR 2 PC help.

Alright, I just bought KOTOR 2 for my PC, and it installed pretty well. It all seems to be running good thus far, as I created my character and tried to begin the game... Only to find that as soon as the opening cutscene ends, the screen goes black. The music continues to play, and on one of my many attempts, the robotic female voice even said something relevant to the situation, but I still couldn't see anything. I'm forced to go back to my desktop and end KOTOR 2 from the Task Panel.

Though I doubt it, it could be a problem with my video card. Since I'm not really a tech junkie, here are my computer's stats.

If anyone can come up with an idea, please reply as soon as possible. I have work in less than six hours, so I'd like to have the peace of mind that KOTOR 2 is waiting for me when I get back. =D Thanks.

It's likely your graphics controller; I remember some other posts relating to that particular one in the old Tech board that no longer exists. I tried a Google and came up with these:

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:0ce4uMN...us&ct=clnk&cd=1

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:rbfO_kd...us&ct=clnk&cd=3

If those links don't work, do a Google on:

Intel 82865G Graphics Controller +Kotor2 and when it pulls up the few results click on the the 'cached' link under the entries.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Heh heh, your Googling skills are much better than mine.

The links worked, but they didn't really offer solid solutions. The first one ended with the guy downloading an Intel Chipset pack to which he provides no source, and the second with the guy asking about a certain video card.

All in all, it looks like I'm going to have to spend more money on this.

Thank you, though, LadyCrimson. If anyone can come up with more possible solutions, let me know.

Heh heh, your Googling skills are much better than mine.

Maybe here? :D

Edit: they have a specific page for kotor game compatability. Luck!

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Maybe here? :D

Edit: they have a specific page for kotor game compatability. Luck!

Yeah, I didn't bother to mention that it was doing that "minimize to the taskbar" thing, though the offered solution doesn't work for me. I made it to the graphic properties of "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator", but there's no "OpenGL" tab.

The edited link that you so kindly brought me led me to this, which includes two downloads I'm going to try out. Thanks again.

EDIT: Well, bad news for me. Yeah, I'll pick up a new video card sometime soon. This computer probably needs it anyway.

Edited by TranceRufus

Alright, I just bought KOTOR 2 for my PC, and it installed pretty well.  It all seems to be running good thus far, as I created my character and tried to begin the game...  Only to find that as soon as the opening cutscene ends, the screen goes black.  The music continues to play, and on one of my many attempts, the robotic female voice even said something relevant to the situation, but I still couldn't see anything.  I'm forced to go back to my desktop and end KOTOR 2 from the Task Panel.

Though I doubt it, it could be a problem with my video card.  Since I'm not really a tech junkie, here are my computer's stats.

If anyone can come up with an idea, please reply as soon as possible.  I have work in less than six hours, so I'd like to have the peace of mind that KOTOR 2 is waiting for me when I get back.  =D  Thanks.

Yeah it could be your video card of ram that happened to me when i tried to play oblivian my ram was too slow

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin

" Revan was power and it was like staring into the heart of the force."

Hey I had the same problem before, the problem is with your Video card, if you have under 8-16MB or ram in your card this will happen.

If you have more then that then it should work, just update your drives, if not then i guess you gotta buy a new card.

Did you actually try those downloads? Didn't that one thread say he got it to work even tho it was claimed the card wasn't supported?

Altho, I'd still probably get a newer card. >_<

Oh yeah, that baby'll run KOTOR. I ran KOTOR 1 and 2 just fine (albeit low settings) with a GeforceFX 5200...so that'd be great card for you.

I'm sure it would be, if my computer supported it... Turns out it's AGP-only, however; My motherboard is ATI-only. So it came in, I happily tried to install it only to find it wouldn't fit...

Yeah, I'm returning it, and probably my copy of KOTOR 2, too. =( My computer crushed my dreams.

Sorry for whoring this topic out, guys. Thanks, though.