Attributes.

karka

I am trying to create a role playing rule system for my home-made sci-fi crpg project. Which attributes are important for you?

Strength, Perception, Constitution, Charisma, Wisdom, Intelligence, Dextrity, Beauty, Luck etc...

centinexx.png

strength, intelligence, dexterity, and constitution.

those probably are the basics for anything else. you could have an appearance/demanor that would take the place of charisma. but that's social so... :thumbsup:

just a hint. Don't make somthing mundane like Knitting cost as much xp to level as say decapitiaton.

Edit: also wouldn't this go in PnP?

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think it will take 6 to 8 months to complete the whole rule system. So expect more "What would you like to see..." threads like this. Then, i will start to create the content. Story, setting, items, etc. Content creating probably will take another 6 to 8 months.

Production state will follow the content creating.

My Gfx engine is ready to use. So, i hope production state won't take more than a year. If everything goes well, game will be playable in 2009. Our team is not big. So don't expect it sooner.

Yeah, i can distribute my rule system after that. :D

centinexx.png

It really depends on what you want to do with it. Will the emphasis be on interpersonal relations, or kicking ass and taking names? Do you want strong stealth options? Lots of different sciency skills?

As a general template, I'd go with:

Strength

Endurance: Better name than the D&D "Constitution." Also, consider combining this with Strength into a general "Athleticism" stat if brute force melee combat isn't going to be a strong option.

Reflexes: Sorta like Dexterity/Agility, but more precise. Should govern involuntary actions only. Deliberate action (like lockpicking, # of APs in combat) is better thought of under the rubric of skills.

Concentration: Captures some of what's in SPECIAL's Perception (noticing things) and D&D's Wisdom (patience, study skills, etc.). Would also have a strong influence on ranged combat skills.

Empathy: A general measure of interpersonal relations. I like the name better than "Charisma," which I think works better as a skill. Highly empathic persons aren't necessarily charismatic, but they can usually learn it. If the game is going to be particularly talky, you might add a separate category for physical beauty.

Intelligence: I hate it, but you probably need some kind of barometer of general academic capacity, memory, and the like.

Edited by Enoch

I like the following stat system:

Strength

Agility

Endurance

Perception

Intelligence

In a fantasy setting, I would have wisdom as an attribute as well.

Ive always thought of charisma as being a skill and not an attribute.

I really like the d&d stats system (STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHA), however I always thought that it would be nice to have a LUCK attribute too. The problem is that I don't know how one can implement this. What purpose will it have? BTW, how did it work in Fallout?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

It made you lucky. Increased chance of criticals for you. Probably helped prevent criticals against, but maybe not.

YOu also had a greater chance of randomly finding the cool events in the wasteland.

Strength

Dexterity

Agility

Endurance

Intelligence

Perception

Cunning

Presence

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

ass curvature

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

That would also be my choice.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Luck worked well in Fallout because the random encounters portion was a huge part of the game. So it all depends on what the game is built for.

Pretty much the usual ones, like mentioned, whatever their names. They allow for a good flexibility of builds.

I'd probably like a Luck one too...I had great fun w/the Luck stat in the M&M rpg series. And yeah, typically Luck is used to increase chances very slightly all across the board - usually combat related, but could be used for any random-chance calculations, like magical-loot-finding or trap avoidance etc.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Religious zealotism: How influenced you are faced by religious people trying to enroll you in their galaxy-conquering cult.

Addictiveness: How susceptible you are to chemicals of all sorts and how they affect you.

Resistance: How your body deals with physical injury and implant installation(if it's sci-fi you gotta have implants!)

Psychic: Deals with psychic powers and how they affect you.

Interaction: How you handle conversations, negociations and da ladies.

Power: Strength.

What I personally prefer to see in my RPG's:

Strength: combat abilities, carrying capacity.

Agility: dodge, parry, acrobatics, that sort of thing.

Speed: self-explanatory, determines the speed of almost all actions.

Endurance: resistances, hitpoints.

Intelligence: ease of learning, amount of skills available to you and so on.

I'm not so interested in charisma and wisdom and such, as they feel like something living past its usefulness in systems like D&D. There are skills that handle stuff like that better. Luck can be fun once in a while, but it feels strange that luck should be something that's individual from person to person.. That's not how I view the real world at least.

Strange that noone but me likes Speed in this thread :-

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have to add that agility depends not only on reflexes, but on strength too. And so does speed if you meant speed of motion (as opposed to response time). However speed should start to decrease when muscle mass reaches certain point.

My .02

I tend to think of Agility covering the Speed aspect - at least partially - since how well one dodges is often determined by how quick/nimble/flexible you are...but if you're talking about something that affects how fast you can walk/run or how fast you can cast spells/strike with your weapon, I prefer those as skill/training-based improvements/spells etc. rather than attributes.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I tend to think of Agility covering the Speed aspect - at least partially - since how well one dodges is often determined by how quick/nimble/flexible you are...

That's what I meant, quick body movements (esp. martial arts) is a stress on muscles. This sort of agility requires certain amount of strength; on the other hand, things like juggling don't.

It's perfectly possible to be strong as an ox and still slow as hell (check out the guys on World's Strongest Man competitions), strong as hell and fast as hell (check out Linford Christie, for example, who could bench 300+ pounds and was still one of the world's fastest men) or fast as hell and weak as a hell (check out the football players playing in germany right now, especially those that weigh under 140 lbs..).

I was thinking of agility in terms of techniques for doing stuff, like climbing stuff (determines what you can climb).. martial arts (what kind of moves you're able to perform).. assembling a weapon.

Speed would be running speed, the velocity of your hands when you punch stuff, the amount of time it would take you to ascend that wall in the agility example.

I have no idea why I am bothering to clarify my views on this :()

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

In my steadily growing rules system, Ive replaced the usual "dexterity/agility" with Speed and Precision. Their usage is quite obvious and also quite necessary since my system is modern and so is made for ranged firearm combat (you can be quick to draw but youve got to be able to hit your opponent awell)

and random tidbit, Ive never understood why D&D uses traits that go from 1-18+ but never ever uses anything but the modifiers? Wouldnt it be easier to just have a strength of 4 rather than 18(+4) ?

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Their usage is quite obvious and also quite necessary since my system is modern and so is made for ranged firearm combat (you can be quick to draw but youve got to be able to hit your opponent awell)

And thus it goes back to "it all depends on what kind of game/focus you're making." :D