Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

7900GTX vs. 7950GX2

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

It works fine in Episode One on my old 9600XT.  :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you sure. My Radeon 9800 Pro didn't cut it for HDR with Lost Coast.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
Lost Coast HDR was uber-demanding, more so than episode 1.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Do the 9800/9600's even support HDR?

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
http://www.webhallen...od.php?id=54157 1900XT @ 5279kr
http://www.webhallen...od.php?id=56555 7900GTX @ 5265kr

theyre about the same price. but sure, if you compare a factory overclocked eVGA GTX with a point-of-view 1900XT then the nVidia card is more expensive.

Also, a big point is that the 1900 cards draw a humongous amout of power(around 130w), too much for my 350w silent PSU, whereas the 7900GTX draw only 10w more than my old 6800u(65-74w)

HDR in oblivion freaking rocks, everything is so dull and lifeless looking without it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bloom with .ini tweaks can look just as good...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way HDR is implemented in Oblivion is just like Bloom effects. They dont use it like youre supposed to on specific ares of luminescence (like a window in daylight seen from a dark interior) but they plaster it everywhere. Just look at the damn walls in the capital city, they shine so bright your eyes hurt and thats not the way its supposed to be IMO

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
Ok, a smarter way to compare prices (makes it brand/store independant):

Pricerunner's best price on Geforce 7900GTX: 4331 SEK

http://se.pricerunne...s/576652/prices

Pricerunner's best price on Radeon X1900XT: 3783 SEK

http://se.pricerunne...s/555361/prices

ATI is generally a bit cheaper for the same amount of performance, plus a few extra hardware tidbits.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
Well, I still get a free Tshirt :huh:"

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All I know is that when I was having troubles with HL2:Ep1 before updating my drivers I messed around with all the graphical settings. I noticed the HDR box was unchecked even though it was flagged as a 'recommended setting' for my system so I checked the thing. BAM! Game got all pretty all of a sudden.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I wonder if it's a Software implmentation in that case. Or just a different version.

Meh...at least you got to experience it.

Haitoku

Haitoku

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1471 posts

I wonder if it's a Software implmentation in that case.  Or just a different version.

Meh...at least you got to experience it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Differed version I believe. Doesn't use Sm 3.0.

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts

Well, I still get a free Tshirt  :)"

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...noone 'ere's knockin' yer choice, Kaftan; jus' offerin' up a bit o' info on the subject...an' if'n ya steps up yer monitor in the future, yer already prepared fer 1600x1200 or above wit' yer 7900GTX, which be always nice... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Source HDR is software.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
Btw, do you think Ill be fine with my AMD 64 3500+ or will that CPU be a bit of a bottleneck? I just read on BFG's website that the minimum required CPU is a 2500+

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
First post with new sweet 7900GTX. First impressions:

This card is quiet! :shifty: less noise than my old zalman cooler.. it also runs at about 45C idle which 15-20C lower than my 6800U

Belhawk

Belhawk

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 167 posts
I just got an eVGA 7950 GX2. It has great preformance, quiet, but it runs warm, 60c at idle and 70c with a load.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts

I just got an eVGA 7950 GX2.  It has great preformance, quiet, but it runs warm, 60c at idle and 70c with a load.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

..and you didnt get a complimentary T-shirt :shifty:

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts

..and you didnt get a complimentary T-shirt :shifty:

If you were cool, you'd wear it, take a picture of you and it and then post the picture in the Way Off Topic pictures 2006 thread.

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts

Btw, do you think Ill be fine with my AMD 64 3500+ or will that CPU be a bit of a bottleneck? I just read on BFG's website that the minimum required CPU is a 2500+

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...supposedly, AMD 64/X2 prices are gonna drop somethin' HUGE in July once Conroe hits retail, so if'n ya can wait, I's'd betcha could pick up a X2 dual core fer peanuts... :)

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
About HDR, I managed to run HDR+AA simultaneously in Rainbow6:Lockdown. Thats not supposed to be possible, is it?

..and you didnt get a complimentary T-shirt :huh:

If you were cool, you'd wear it, take a picture of you and it and then post the picture in the Way Off Topic pictures 2006 thread.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would, except its made for american body fatness and so it would hurt my skinny manhood if I clohed myself in it.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

About HDR, I managed to run HDR+AA simultaneously in Rainbow6:Lockdown. Thats not supposed to be possible, is it?

Were they both actually working?

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts

Were they both actually working?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I doubt it.. or R6 has the least noticeable HDR lighting ever (the white haze in the corners happens when you activate "post-processing effects" )

Posted Image

Edited by Kaftan Barlast, 22 June 2006 - 01:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users