Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

7900GTX vs. 7950GX2

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
There wont be any ATI cards in my computers until they seriously shape up (well, apart from the one thats in this one ;)" )

and HDR has to be the most overrated eye-candy to date. the only game it looked good in was Hl2, in Oblivion or Farcry it just looks like someoe smeared vaseline on the inside of my screen and cranked up the brightness (no, Im not confusing it with LightBloom)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast, 19 June 2006 - 12:55 PM.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

Don't forget that FSAA & Bloom at the same time :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you mean FSAA and HDR at the same time. Nvidia can handle FSAA and Bloom at the same time alright, but not FSAA and HDR.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You may be correct. I may be dumb.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts

and HDR has to be the most overrated eye-candy to date. the only game it looked good in was Hl2, in Oblivion or Farcry it just looks like someoe smeared vaseline on the inside of my screen and cranked up the brightness (no, Im not confusing it with LightBloom)

I didn't like HDR at first, but now I've gotten used to it and love it! And with this stupid Nvidia card of mine I have to choose between HDR and antialiasing!! :ermm:

Usually AA wins and I settle for crappy Bloom instead. I JUST WISH I HAD AN ATI AGAIN.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
I just think devs use it in unnescessary places and theres too much of it. Kind of like people did with Lens Flare when that first came in photoshop :rolleyes:

Haitoku

Haitoku

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1471 posts

GTX

* Is just as fast as the GX2 in 1280x1024 with maxed AA+AF

Wow, this really true? I've been considering the GX2 but I only play at 1280x1024... Blah, I have to do some serious case modding before I can fit my new power supply in my case. :rolleyes:

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts
...anyone e'en considerin' the 7950GX2 when theys only plays @ 1280x1024 has faaaaaar too much cash an' faaaaaar too li'l common sense...like I's posted 'afore, e'en the 7900GTX be a sorry waste o' cash @ 1280x1024...peoples gotta understand that them uber gpus be made fer theys that plays @ 1600x1200 or greater wit' all the eye candy maxed ta the hilt...grab a 7900GT that'll run e'erythin' @ 1280x1024 on medium-high minimum or, if the eye candy be yer one true luv in Life, grab a X1900XT an' ye'll be Livin' La Vita Loca...Save a Tree, save yer cash... :rolleyes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
The 7900GTX will give me full eyecandy, full AA+AF@1280x1024 BUT it will also give me one hell of an fps, which you won get at 1600x1200 (per-pixel lighting/effects are heavier to run the more pixels youve got, see?)

And where did you get it frm that the x1900XT is cheaper? :rolleyes: its almost the exact same price

Edited by Kaftan Barlast, 19 June 2006 - 05:00 PM.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
HDR in oblivion freaking rocks, everything is so dull and lifeless looking without it.

Haitoku

Haitoku

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1471 posts

HDR in oblivion freaking rocks, everything is so dull and lifeless looking without it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bloom with .ini tweaks can look just as good...

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
I tried it and it didn't look as good. Maybe a little more color but still massive washout.

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
Yes, well, my 7900gtx is running things quite well. I'm sure some cards could be better and I'm sure there are arguments for all of them. However, I'm running HoMM V and that Hitman demo at 1600x1200 with EVERYTHING maxed. It's pulling the weight. When I get back to town, I'll run the Hitman demo with fraps running and check out my fps rate.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
Hitman doesn't seem like a system hog game.

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1323 posts

And where did you get it frm that the x1900XT is cheaper? :( its almost the exact same price

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...ya gotta be lookin' in the wrong spots, then, lad, cuz the cheapest I's found a 7900GTX in Canada be $539 'afore taxes, yet I can grab a Sapphire X1900XT (retail, not OEM) fer $457 'afore taxes... :o

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8559 posts
I, too, have no idea where Kaftan is looking:

XFX GeForce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 eXtreme, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV, 675/1700Mhz costs 5095 SEK

Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, ViVo, Dual-DVI-I, Full-Retail costs 3999 SEK

Unless, of course, he was looking at the factory overclocked version, the XTX...

Edit: prices from http://www.komplett....kl.asp?bn=10488

Edited by mkreku, 19 June 2006 - 10:36 PM.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I like HDR.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
Anyone who hates it probably gets lag from it :p"

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Or just can't enable it.

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
It works fine in Episode One on my old 9600XT. :huh:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6449 posts
Probably a less demanding HDR; I mean it's even compatible with AA on nvidia :huh:

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
Hm. It makes the game look real pretty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users