7900GTX vs. 7950GX2

...anyone e'en considerin' the 7950GX2 when theys only plays @ 1280x1024 has faaaaaar too much cash an' faaaaaar too li'l common sense...like I's posted 'afore, e'en the 7900GTX be a sorry waste o' cash @ 1280x1024...peoples gotta understand that them uber gpus be made fer theys that plays @ 1600x1200 or greater wit' all the eye candy maxed ta the hilt...grab a 7900GT that'll run e'erythin' @ 1280x1024 on medium-high minimum or, if the eye candy be yer one true luv in Life, grab a X1900XT an' ye'll be Livin' La Vita Loca...Save a Tree, save yer cash... :rolleyes:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

The 7900GTX will give me full eyecandy, full AA+AF@1280x1024 BUT it will also give me one hell of an fps, which you won get at 1600x1200 (per-pixel lighting/effects are heavier to run the more pixels youve got, see?)

And where did you get it frm that the x1900XT is cheaper? :rolleyes: its almost the exact same price

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes, well, my 7900gtx is running things quite well. I'm sure some cards could be better and I'm sure there are arguments for all of them. However, I'm running HoMM V and that Hitman demo at 1600x1200 with EVERYTHING maxed. It's pulling the weight. When I get back to town, I'll run the Hitman demo with fraps running and check out my fps rate.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

And where did you get it frm that the x1900XT is cheaper? :( its almost the exact same price

...ya gotta be lookin' in the wrong spots, then, lad, cuz the cheapest I's found a 7900GTX in Canada be $539 'afore taxes, yet I can grab a Sapphire X1900XT (retail, not OEM) fer $457 'afore taxes... :o

I, too, have no idea where Kaftan is looking:

XFX GeForce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 eXtreme, PCI-Express, 2xDVI/HDTV, 675/1700Mhz costs 5095 SEK

Sapphire Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3, PCI-Express, ViVo, Dual-DVI-I, Full-Retail costs 3999 SEK

Unless, of course, he was looking at the factory overclocked version, the XTX...

Edit: prices from http://www.komplett.se/k/kl.asp?bn=10488

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=54157 1900XT @ 5279kr

http://www.webhallen.com/prod.php?id=56555 7900GTX @ 5265kr

theyre about the same price. but sure, if you compare a factory overclocked eVGA GTX with a point-of-view 1900XT then the nVidia card is more expensive.

Also, a big point is that the 1900 cards draw a humongous amout of power(around 130w), too much for my 350w silent PSU, whereas the 7900GTX draw only 10w more than my old 6800u(65-74w)

HDR in oblivion freaking rocks, everything is so dull and lifeless looking without it.

Bloom with .ini tweaks can look just as good...

The way HDR is implemented in Oblivion is just like Bloom effects. They dont use it like youre supposed to on specific ares of luminescence (like a window in daylight seen from a dark interior) but they plaster it everywhere. Just look at the damn walls in the capital city, they shine so bright your eyes hurt and thats not the way its supposed to be IMO

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Ok, a smarter way to compare prices (makes it brand/store independant):

Pricerunner's best price on Geforce 7900GTX: 4331 SEK

http://se.pricerunner.com/computing/compon...s/576652/prices

Pricerunner's best price on Radeon X1900XT: 3783 SEK

http://se.pricerunner.com/computing/compon...s/555361/prices

ATI is generally a bit cheaper for the same amount of performance, plus a few extra hardware tidbits.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, I still get a free Tshirt :huh:"

Do the 9800/9600's even support HDR?

All I know is that when I was having troubles with HL2:Ep1 before updating my drivers I messed around with all the graphical settings. I noticed the HDR box was unchecked even though it was flagged as a 'recommended setting' for my system so I checked the thing. BAM! Game got all pretty all of a sudden.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

Well, I still get a free Tshirt  :)"

...noone 'ere's knockin' yer choice, Kaftan; jus' offerin' up a bit o' info on the subject...an' if'n ya steps up yer monitor in the future, yer already prepared fer 1600x1200 or above wit' yer 7900GTX, which be always nice... :thumbsup: