7900GTX vs. 7950GX2

Ill have to place the order tonight for it to get here in time, so now the choice must be made.

GX2

• Just brutal raw power that will last a long time
  • Draws less power than an ATI x1900XTX

GTX

• Is just as fast as the GX2 in 1280x1024 with maxed AA+AF
  • Is very quiet
  • Costs only 80% of a GX2
  • Wont require me to mod my chipset cooler to fit in my comp

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Well, my 7900gtx is working quite well in my computer.

I like the idea behind the 7950gx, but I'm usually a bit leery of new technology until it's been out long enough to hear about some of the potential problem. On the other hand, if you try the 7950gx, you can be our little test subject. bwahahaha

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Its not double power, its not even noticeable until you run in 1600x1200 with max AA+AF and my 17" screen cant go higher than 1280x1024. So..

Ive just placd an order for a Geforce7900GTX, unfortunantly, they ran out of ASUS cards :sorcerer: while I was being indecisive so I had to buy a BFG card instead but the reviews say its quiet and I get a free Tshirt to comfort me.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The BFG card is supposed to be quite good. They had problems with overclocking at first, but I think that's been resolved. Good luck, Kaftan!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I actually wish I'd bought the 1900 XTX. I've enjoyed my Geforce, though, so I can't complain. I finished FEAR, DOOM 3, Resurrection of Evil, and I'm playing HoMM V. It's sweet. Great card.

Obsidian Plays

The 1900's sound like blowdriers and I dont think getting those extra 3fps in Quake4 is worth that noise.

I have the ears of a Ferengi.

When my Nvidia 7800GS's fan reaches top-speed, I am almost certain I've seen my computer case slowly sucking its way around the room.

It's not quiet (the brand is XFX) but I do like the performance. It's worth a little noice.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I have never owned an Asus video card, but my roommate has. And he has had fan troubles with everyone of them (as in the fan decides it no longer needs to spin).

My second-hand experiences with Asus video cards has been mediocre.

My first Nvidia (Geforce Ti4600 128MB) vas an Asus. Very expensive (at the time) and it has been incredibly reliable. It wouldn't surprise me if it still could run most of today's games. No problems whatsoever with the fan, but either the drivers or the way it handled the drivers were odd. I often had problems when I upgraded my drivers and in the end I just reinstalled some very old drivers (30.XX something) and never touched them again.

I was recommended ASUS by my more knowledgeable friends, theyre cheaper and just as reliable as the flashier brands like BFG.

Although that fan thing might be true, the chipset fan on my A8N motherboard gave up quite quickly.

Then you'll likely think that any card is too loud.

Yes, thats why I took the stock cooler off my old 6800u and replaced it with a Zalman that I ran on just 5volt... and why I have a special dampened case... and fanless heatsinks wherever they fit.

I wont be touching this new card though, atleast in a visible way because Ive learnt that a warranty is a good thing to have :thumbsup:

...I knows this be too li'l, too late, but @ 1280x1024, a 7900GTX be a bit o' a waste...$200+ extra dollars fer a few extra FPS and a difference o' medium-high ta high o'er a 7900GT...fer that resolution, if the "ultra-high" eyecandy matters that much ta ya, a X1900XT, which can be found fer o'er $100 cheaper than a 7900GTX, works just as well, an' better wit' AA & AF tearin' it up... :wub:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Don't forget that FSAA & Bloom at the same time ;)

I think you mean FSAA and HDR at the same time. Nvidia can handle FSAA and Bloom at the same time alright, but not FSAA and HDR.

There wont be any ATI cards in my computers until they seriously shape up (well, apart from the one thats in this one ;)" )

and HDR has to be the most overrated eye-candy to date. the only game it looked good in was Hl2, in Oblivion or Farcry it just looks like someoe smeared vaseline on the inside of my screen and cranked up the brightness (no, Im not confusing it with LightBloom)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

and HDR has to be the most overrated eye-candy to date. the only game it looked good in was Hl2, in Oblivion or Farcry it just looks like someoe smeared vaseline on the inside of my screen and cranked up the brightness (no, Im not confusing it with LightBloom)

I didn't like HDR at first, but now I've gotten used to it and love it! And with this stupid Nvidia card of mine I have to choose between HDR and antialiasing!! :ermm:

Usually AA wins and I settle for crappy Bloom instead. I JUST WISH I HAD AN ATI AGAIN.

I just think devs use it in unnescessary places and theres too much of it. Kind of like people did with Lens Flare when that first came in photoshop :rolleyes:

GTX

* Is just as fast as the GX2 in 1280x1024 with maxed AA+AF

Wow, this really true? I've been considering the GX2 but I only play at 1280x1024... Blah, I have to do some serious case modding before I can fit my new power supply in my case. :rolleyes: