How to get a NWN 2 project off the ground

Rhomal

While classic NWN was in its 5 year development hell I got into the player run Ultima Online servers. For those of you that are not familiar with it, in a nutshell, some peeps reversed engineered the communication protocols from the UO client and the UO master servers. Took that data and created a script based server. Then people, with the UO client data files could run their own UO server. It is a very similar concept to the NWN client/server setup.

Thus while waiting for NWN to be released for a year and a half I played and eventually ran my own successful UO server. When NWN finally came out I switched over and got a very popular server off the ground as well.

Now as you know I run a high traffic news and community NWN 2 site.

With NWN 2 around the corner I was reflecting upon all of this and felt it would be a good article to write about my experiences with such. What I did right, what I did wrong and hopefully for those interested in starting a NWN 2 project to pick up something and help your own project get going.

Full article:

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/news/artic...hp?storyid=1160

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Sawyer wrote a great little treatise on this a while ago. It might be worth it to read his also. I'll take a look at yours, Rhomal. I've deliberated going in on a module, but I've been leery of it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!