Question about how to use my external HD

ramza

I recently bought an external HD so that I can store all my anime, but there's something weird about it (maybe I am just paranoid :ph34r: ).

When I try to remove my HD from computer I always click on the "add hardware" icon that appears on the lower right corner of my screen and then click on the "remove" button. The thing is that after doing that my pc refuses to disconnect my external HD and I get this message saying that I can't temporarily use that button (it always says that whenever I try).

So far, all I did was switch off the power button that is on HD but I really wonder if it is the correct way of removing it. I wouldn't want to lose all these files I have stored in it! So, my question is whether it is normal that I get such a message. Is it ok if I just switch off the power button or is there a risk of losing everything?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers.

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I use external HDs and just unplug them from the USB port. Powering down the external drive would do just as well. Without power, it'll be a little difficult to damage the info there. What version of Windows are you using. There should be an icon at the lower right corner of your screen that says 'Safely Remove Hardware". If you click on that, it should prompt you on what to do. I've never had any issues though.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Yeah, when I was talking about the icon that appears at the lower right corner of my screen, I meant the "safely remove hardware" one (sorry for being unclear). The problem is that my pc will never allow me to use that thing (I always get some kind of error message). So, I had no other choice than to unplug my HD.

The thing is that everyone has told me that we should always click on that icon before remove USB devices and more particularly USB memory sticks because I might lose all my data otherwise. I was thinking the same might happen to my HD since I am not removing it properly. But is it possible that it was designed that way, so that I have to switch it off in order to remove it?

Thanks for your answer, BTW.

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

For your information, the message I get is "The device cannot be stopped right now. Please try again later".

The problem is that I always get this message.

Please, help me guys!

Edited by ramza