Common Question

Alleyslink

Hail Obsidian. I am a long time fan of Feargus' work. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale. I am a long time Neverwinter Nights modder. I eagerly await the release of NWN2. I am troubled by Atari's finacial woes. The news I have heard about no DM Client in NWN2 is disheartening, but as long as there is an editor I am happy. I have been watching the custom content team known as d20. They have been working on adding modern content to the NWN community. I know that Feargus will eventually address this issue in his top ten thread, but I have to ask anyway.

Will you ever release a post apocalyptic RPG? If so would it have an editor like NWN2?

I am aware that you are no longer associated with the Fallout franchise and that you guys already have a lot on your plates. I would be very happy to mod in a wasteland-esque world. The humor in the Fallout series would be a welcome addition to the all to serious rpg community.

Edited by Alleyslink

Will you ever release a post apocalyptic RPG?

Glad to see I'm not the only one longing for another post apocalyptic themed RPG. I'm eagerly awaiting the answer to this question too :))

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Hey, I'd like a good post-apocalyptic game myself. I had hopes for The Fall, but then heard enough bad things about it that I decided not to buy it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hail Obsidian. I am a long time fan of Feargus' work. Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale. I am a long time Neverwinter Nights modder. I eagerly await the release of NWN2. I am troubled by Atari's finacial woes. The news I have heard about no DM Client in NWN2 is disheartening, but as long as there is an editor I am happy. I have been watching the custom content team known as d20. They have been working on adding modern content to the NWN community. I know that Feargus will eventually address this issue in his top ten thread, but I have to ask anyway.

Will you ever release a post apocalyptic RPG? If so would it have an editor like NWN2?

I am aware that you are no longer associated with the Fallout franchise and that you guys already have a lot on your plates. I would be very happy to mod in a wasteland-esque world. The humor in the Fallout series would be a welcome addition to the all to serious rpg community.

Maybe they can make an unoffical sequel like they did with Wasteland.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

As I said, I am a long time modder with NWN. I have spent years in the Forgotten Realms. I developed a PW called Lands of Intrigue: Castle Spulzeer based in Amn and Tethyr. I was using the Aurora Toolset which is geared towards the Forgotten Realms. ("Good business to ya." says the female commoner in a cheesy irish accent.) The decision to base my campaign in the FR setting was almost made for me.

Why should the Forgotten Realms get all the attention.

The WOTC d20 system was not made to only represent Dungeons and Dragons. Why should the Aurora Toolset be any different?

My problem is with magic. If anybody with enough intelligence could become a wizard, wouldn't every intelligent person become a magic user? Same thing with wisdom and clerics, or charisma with sorcerers. High level magic users could completely alter the world which they inhabit. Time Stop, Gate, Wish, Raise Dead, Ressurection, Lich-dom. I prefer the gun, the great equalizer.

I am not particularly extolling the virtues of d20. Indeed, you would have more creative freedom without Hasbro over your shoulder. A version of the Aurora Toolset altered to have some modern weapons, a wasteland tileset, a vault tileset, and some new classes, races and skills. That would be awsome! As I have said, there is an effort in the NWN community to add modern content, also calling themselves d20mm. Though their efforts are commendable, it is a part time effort at best. I think a little diversity in the CRPG and being able to mod it would help expand the community.

Edited by Alleyslink

The WOTC d20 system was not made to only represent Dungeons and Dragons. Why should the Aurora Toolset be any different?

Because of the inherent assets?

If you have no problems creating your own content, you should be able to get rid of the Forgotten Realms influence.

The phrase "inherent assets" goes straight to the heart of the matter. NWN is a medieval fantasy game, and the owners of that game like it that way. They will not wish to alter their games, and download such huge haks, just to try a post-apocalyptic module. A separate game would allow for a more cohesive and targeted game.

When I dled the d20mm system and installed the custom content it completely altered my NWN install. Files in the Override folder, .tlk files, 2da's, haks, altered load screens in the game, and GUI appearances. Also, when I worked on my own custom mods there was problems. Even after I removed those custom content the game was still messed up and I had to reinstall it. I am not saying that a better system than the d20mm stuff couldn't be devised. It would definitely be a more reliable system if it was released by a professional design team.

Perhaps the answer is the advent of a universal player that allowed you to buy add-ons. For example the basic universal player comes with D&D stuff, but you could buy post-apocalyptic content disks, or Star Wars content, WWII content, Civil War content, extraterrestrial content, or to add your own custom content. Like the ultimate, expanded Bard's Tale Construction Set. That would be cool, too.

This thread was a targeted question at the staff of Obsidian. I have played their past titles and I think they could make something truly great. With the addition of an editor they would be taking it in a new direction. Console games are eating up the market, shelf space for PC titles is shrinking at your local retailers daily. Playstation 3 is a computer with no mouse or keyboard that links to your TV. Modding and Custom Content are the defining feature of computer gaming. I think it should be spotlighted.

Just some ideas.

As for me, I have spent the last four years learning how to script and write dialogues, make maps and objects, and all the other myriad details that need minding while making mods. After seeing the work of the Community Expansion Pack (CEP), Dragon Lance Adventures (DLA), and recently the d20 Modern Mod (d20mm) my interest in custom content has been sparked. I have nearly finished the gmax tutorials and also the NWmax tutorials and I am learning modeling and animation in anticipation of being able to create my own custom content. Alas, I am only a beginner. Making custom classes and races is also a difficult process, and editing 2da's is new to me.

But I will learn.

Edited by Alleyslink

You just shot your own credibility to shreds by posting such drivel over one of (of not THE) most respected members on this board. Congratulations, "goober".

Again you all think I posted here for you.

This is a public board. No matter how much you whine and troll, you will not be able to control neither the content nor the poster of the posts, even in threads you yourself started. Lesson number one.

Number two: don't get hung up over the amount of posts people have. We don't care and neither should you. What you really should do, though, is check up on if your accusations hold water before you throw a hissy fit for no reason at all. Do a search for alanschu's posts and you'll see what I mean.

Lesson three: no, with your crummy attitude I am sure you don't belong here. Although you seem to have learnt that lesson yourself. Noone is particularly interested in "proving" their worth to your bragging ass, so please, take your own advice and find another board.

Whatever. I still think my posts should be read by the developers. I my more calmer moments I would suggest that people should only post comments when they have something to add. When you do make comments, try to be clear about your remarks. I can not evaulate your input with only a sentence to read.

"I'm not sure how lucrative "toolset content" would be."

Why do you feel that way?

P.S. a goober is a peanut. Yes, I deleted some of my own posts. I took some of alanschu's comments dissmisive of my ideas, and I took offense. I posted some comments, which I latter felt were unproductive. So I removed them.

Thanks mkreku for pointing out that I was having a hissy fit.

Edited by Alleyslink

"I'm not sure how lucrative "toolset content" would be."

Why do you feel that way?

Because in order for people to build with that content, they'll have to buy it. But how many people will buy something to create content, with no one really willing to play it (upon release)? People aren't going to buy content expansions without having quality modules created with that content.

The only way to really work around this is to make the content "expansions" (for lack of a better word) would then be to make them cheap. The only thing is, creating content isn't cheap (it's arguably one of the most expensive part of game development now). In terms of finding ways to invest their money, a company would probably have a better ROI simply by making another game. At best, maybe they make a game with that toolset that's post-apocolyptic.

Since full-fledged expansions typically don't sell anywhere near the amount of copies as the original game does, I can't expect content (which doesn't really have any incentive for a non-content creator to buy) to sell any better. Except that I'd expect you to have to sell at a lower price, with less volume of sales.

Thank you alanschu for clarafication.

"Because in order for people to build with that content, they'll have to buy it. ... People aren't going to buy content expansions without having quality modules created with that content."

This is true. My response would be to take a look at some of the design teams I metioned before, like Dragon Lance Adventures. DLA is an ameteur development team which was later contracted by Atari and Bioware to make premium modules. I am not sure of the financial deal between these entities, but I am sure DLA's budget was minimal compared to the bill Atari received from Bioware to develop NWN.

"At best, maybe they make a game with that toolset that's post-apocolyptic."

That really was the intent of this thread. The second idea I had was just a spur of the moment thing.

That doesn't mean I think my idea was a bad one. Again I point to DLA as an example. The create custom content and mod it too. Then they release it as a premium mod. Other teams like the PRC, CEP, and HCR have significantly changed the face of NWN. Teams like d20mm have even changed the time and place of the game. It would be easily conceivable that a more universal RPG system would be successful. But I agree, I might not be very lucrative.

The thing about DLA is that, when they were hired, they still helped work on a story with an actual adventure. (Their response to the cutting of support by Atari also demonstrates the woes of hiring "mod groups" to work with you).

Yes, people have made changes to the NWN game environment. But how much of their stuff had a price attached to it?

Edited by alanschu

Well, CEP and PRC were free. DLA was going to release a new premium module for digial distribution. Since Atari pulled the plug on NWN, DLA has decided to release it all on the IGN Vault for FREE. I will not complain. The Premium Mods principally funded the Live Team's support of NWN1. So in that sense, Atari paid nothing for further support of NWN. It was all generated in house at BioWare from premium mod sales.

You don't need to tell me about the woes of working with a mod team, I know first hand it can be a nightmare. I have never worked on a mod team that was paid, and I figured that they must be a higher caliber modder than myself or my associates.

I guess that's the trade off. A little unprofesional behaviour for free content.

Hmm... Rideable horses, DM Client, Free Content?

Well, that is neither here nor there. I was hoping Feargus and Friends would release a post-apocalyptic CRPG with an editor.

Well, CEP and PRC were free. DLA was going to release a new premium module for digial distribution. Since Atari pulled the plug on NWN, DLA has decided to release it all on the IGN Vault for FREE. I will not complain. The Premium Mods principally funded the Live Team's support of NWN1. So in that sense, Atari paid nothing for further support of NWN. It was all generated in house at BioWare from premium mod sales.

I'm well aware of the way the Live Team works.

Well, that is neither here nor there. I was hoping Feargus and Friends would release a post-apocalyptic CRPG with an editor.

I'm sure you're not the only one.