Oblivion Thread

Sorry for bringing this thread back up...

A few weeks ago I procured my self ALL the downloadable plugins from Bethesda. Mehrune's Razor, the "pirate ship", the stupid saddle pack, etc.

Of course I didn't know about Knights of the Nine PC because I stayed away from possible spoilers so my ventures into the Oblivion forums was only for technical issues.

I'm really wondering why O why did I pay for this stuff?

Out of the extra quests the plugins give me I only found the pirate ship and took what... 10 minutes? If you do it at low level it's way too easy and the the "quest" involves buying furniture and hiring merchants at 1000$ a pop.

And then a few weeks later a package comes out in retail that includes everything plus a supposedly 10 hour quest? WTF?  :angry:

Knights of the Nine is the best of the faction quest sets, too.

At least so far, haven't finished it yet.

Can KotN be baught seperately without the add-ons?

I don't believe so. Its pretty good, but I don't know if its worth the full price of the retail box all by itself. Not the $20 US is too terribly much. But still.

If you really like the idea of playing a Paladin type pc and building your own knightly order complete with Knights who will kick your enemies teeth in for you, then it might be worth it. My wood elf had trouble getting the quest at first cause she was too arrogant. Humble is the key!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sorry for bringing this thread back up...

A few weeks ago I procured my self ALL the downloadable plugins from Bethesda. Mehrune's Razor, the "pirate ship", the stupid saddle pack, etc.

Of course I didn't know about Knights of the Nine PC because I stayed away from possible spoilers so my ventures into the Oblivion forums was only for technical issues.

I'm really wondering why O why did I pay for this stuff?

Out of the extra quests the plugins give me I only found the pirate ship and took what... 10 minutes? If you do it at low level it's way too easy and the the "quest" involves buying furniture and hiring merchants at 1000$ a pop.

And then a few weeks later a package comes out in retail that includes everything plus a supposedly 10 hour quest? WTF?  :angry:

Knights of the Nine is the best of the faction quest sets, too.

At least so far, haven't finished it yet.

Can KotN be baught seperately without the add-ons?

I don't believe so. Its pretty good, but I don't know if its worth the full price of the retail box all by itself. Not the $20 US is too terribly much. But still.

If you really like the idea of playing a Paladin type pc and building your own knightly order complete with Knights who will kick your enemies teeth in for you, then it might be worth it. My wood elf had trouble getting the quest at first cause she was too arrogant. Humble is the key!

So I'm guessing High fame is essential?

So I'm guessing High fame is essential?

No, you just gotta say the right things, even if you don't believe them. My Wood Elf is an assassinm but still got the quest, I just wasn't expecting her to get turned down at first.

However, I don't believe you can have any infamy. You don't however need a lot of fame. My wood elf had like a 4 or something.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

• 3 weeks later...
There's nothing wrong with charging for a mod after the game is released, if it's good and adds more value to the product. Unfortunately though, Microsoft has managed to turn things upside down with their Live Marketplace. They are basically forcing every new game that comes on the market to immediately have downloadable content to sell on that Marketplace. Now, do you think they (the developers) are first making the game complete (100%) and then add extra downloadable content as a bonus (100% +10% = 110% work).. OR if the developers make the game (100%), cut out stuff they already made (100% -  10% = 90%) and make it a mod (10%) they can sell for money later (90% +10% = 100% work)? I know which version I believe. Especially after Oblivion.

Or maybe I'm just being cynical. Maybe all developers complete the game two-three months before deadline and they're like, "Hey, now that we have all this spare time, let's make lots and lots of bonus goodies for the marketplace instead!". It could happen.

Knights of the Nine was developed completely after Oblivion's release with the exception of concept. All artwork, dialogue (and voice over), gameplay and areas were made over the span of 3 months (possibly a bit longer).

Does this Mod actually let the player character have an impact on its story unlike the main quest of Oblivion?

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

What I mean, is it the character who saves the day, central to the story, or is it some smoe that steps in at the last minute and does the work for you.

Edited by Sand

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

What I mean, is it the character who saves the day, central to the story, or is it some smoe that steps in at the last minute and does the work for you.

The player saves the day, if he is noble, worthy knight. The player leads the Knights of the Nine to battle against Umaril the Unfeathered (if he recruits Knights at all).

Isn't the Knights of the Nine available for half the retail price as a bunch of downloads from t'internet?

I'm not sure how much the KotN box costs if off store shelves, but all the DLCs are available on our download website:

http://obliviondownloads.com/

The Knights download there is JUST the Knights (DLC8) content, not all the accompanying DLC content. The box on store shelves is all the DLCs.

@Bokishi:

The depends, really. The first time you play through the content, I'd imagine it takes at least 8-10 hours.

Edited by Shadowstrider

The player saves the day, if he is noble, worthy knight.  The player leads the Knights of the Nine to battle against Umaril the Unfeathered (if he recruits Knights at all).

Good, because that really annoyed the hell out of me in the Oblivion main quest. I hope Bethesda does not do that again. It made playing the game pretty much pointless.

It's funny, because people will complain about being the big chosen one who does everything, and then at the same time, complain if their role isn't always the primary role.

I don't necessarily mind it if the PC isn't the big solution to the problem, as long as the PC is involved with it.

It's funny, because people will complain about being the big chosen one who does everything, and then at the same time, complain if their role isn't always the primary role.

I don't necessarily mind it if the PC isn't the big solution to the problem, as long as the PC is involved with it.

It's even funnier because nothing that Martin does at the end would be possible without the player.

You can't win, no matter who you try to please.

I didn't mind that too much. It made my character feel like a sidekick, though.

People do often complain about being the chosen one. The idea people are thinking of as an alternative is not to be the chosen one's lackey. They're thinking to do away with the chosen one concept altogether.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

Exactly.  It's not like you were off and about doing your thing, and suddenly Martin wins the game while you're off doing something else.

That would have been really good - if you'd been off doing the Dark Brotherhood quests and suddenly one day it was announced that somebody else had saved the world behind your back. :))

I downloaded one of these priced mods - can't remember which one, not the horse armour definitely - but I wasn't impressed. I think I'll wait a year or two and buy the whole lot at a discount next time I install the game. Are there any more expansions in the pipeline?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The problem stems that every CRPG usually ends up being about saving the world or civilization as we know it and only the PC can do it. Why don't we just ditch saving the world idea altogether and just have a normal adventuring CRPG. Sure there maybe bad guys to fight but they aren't threatening the world. Threatening a shipping, or seeking to raid a few towns maybe, but not threatening the world.

You know, something low key. Something that you aren't the chosen one while at the same time there isn't a need for a chosen one. Just everyday people staving off cruelty, evil, and whatnot that happens to come across their everyday lives.

I didn't mind that too much.  It made my character feel like a sidekick, though.

People do often complain about being the chosen one.  The idea people are thinking of as an alternative is not to be the chosen one's lackey.  They're thinking to do away with the chosen one concept altogether.

So what exactly do you do then? Do you make the PC completely uninvolved in the actual conflict? Because either you're solving it, or you're doing what you can to help.

Do people not like, for instance Aragorn, even though his contribution to solving the problem is essentially just trying to help buy Frodo the time he needs?

I just see the whole game of Oblivion as pointless. Hell, Bethesda even made leveling pointless, and in some cases a detriment.

Edited by Sand

I didn't mind that too much.  It made my character feel like a sidekick, though.

People do often complain about being the chosen one.  The idea people are thinking of as an alternative is not to be the chosen one's lackey.  They're thinking to do away with the chosen one concept altogether.

So what exactly do you do then? Do you make the PC completely uninvolved in the actual conflict? Because either you're solving it, or you're doing what you can to help.

Do people not like, for instance Aragorn, even though his contribution to solving the problem is essentially just trying to help buy Frodo the time he needs?

You can be involved in a conflict, you can help stop the conflict, without being the shardbearer/son of a god/the returning king/reincarnation of a man made god. Frodo wasn't "the chosen one." Fate didn't decide his place, he did.

I just see the whole game of Oblivion as pointless.  Hell, Bethesda even made leveling pointless, and in some cases a detriment.

Is this the thread where we talk about this? I didn't want to go into it without being prompted, but I agree on the detriment point. Especially as a stealth character.

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I just like to go through a normal adventure in which the world does not need saving. Hell, it would be even more nice if there wasn't a big bad guy to beat on in the end. Something different for a change.

Edited by Sand

Exactly.  It's not like you were off and about doing your thing, and suddenly Martin wins the game while you're off doing something else.

That used too happen, kinda.

NPCs used to solve quests and close Oblivion gates on their own. It had to be fixed, because it was preventing the player from doing some things.