A lifestyle question

Llyranor

Why are people so adamant about calling their lifestyle some specific "lolita" lifestyle? I find that to be a paradox because you live your own lifestyle, not that of someone else's. You may take aspects of the fantasy surrounding the lolita fashion into your everyday doings, and may aspire to behave in a way you're intrigued by, but in doing so you are making it your life. If you aim to behave and indulge in things that feel uncomfortable just because you feel it's necessary to do so in order to 'live like a lolita', then that is not life, that's pretence. So why is it so difficult to just say, I am living like me? If the lolita 'subculture' compels you more than any other, and you feel comfortable doing the things 'a lolita' would do, then you aren't living some lolita lifestyle, you are living your own, which in turn is "one lolita's lifestyle", i.e. yours. We all make our own interpretation on things and we all carry that out differently. People who cry about others not understanding the meaning of a lolita lifestyle do not understand that everyone has their own concept of what it means, even those who claim to live by it. The whole argument is pointless and I wish people would just get over it and do the things they like, "lolita-like" or not.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Does this lifestyle refer to the novel? I mean, I definitely neither dress nor act like lolita.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

aren't lolita's underage girls who have sex with old men? I mean, thats what I've been led to believe.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

aren't lolita's underage girls who have sex with old men? I mean, thats what I've been led to believe.

google images lolita.

actually I think it's more just naked preteens... :wub:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Are we truly debating the paradoxical nature of a Japanese-centric lifestyle or its enduring effects on the Western psyche? The key word here, my friends, is Japanese. Say it out loud. In the mirror. See how the world reacts. Do not worry. Worries are for pussies and sissies. Instead reflect on the consequences such words breed. For every time you pronounce the word "Japanese", God kills a Fetus.

That said, I present you:

396px-Music_manasan.jpg

Gothic Lolita.

Yes, that is a man.

Are we truly debating the paradoxical nature of a Japanese-centric lifestyle or its enduring effects on the Western psyche? The key word here, my friends, is Japanese. Say it out loud. In the mirror. See how the world reacts. Do not worry. Worries are for pussies and sissies. Instead reflect on the consequences such words breed. For every time you pronounce the word "Japanese", God kills a Fetus.

That said, I present you:

396px-Music_manasan.jpg

Gothic Lolita.

Yes, that is a man.

:'(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Why are people so adamant about calling their lifestyle some specific "lolita" lifestyle? I find that to be a paradox because you live your own lifestyle, not that of someone else's. You may take aspects of the fantasy surrounding the lolita fashion into your everyday doings, and may aspire to behave in a way you're intrigued by, but in doing so you are making it your life. If you aim to behave and indulge in things that feel uncomfortable just because you feel it's necessary to do so in order to 'live like a lolita', then that is not life, that's pretence. So why is it so difficult to just say, I am living like me? If the lolita 'subculture' compels you more than any other, and you feel comfortable doing the things 'a lolita' would do, then you aren't living some lolita lifestyle, you are living your own, which in turn is "one lolita's lifestyle", i.e. yours. We all make our own interpretation on things and we all carry that out differently. People who cry about others not understanding the meaning of a lolita lifestyle do not understand that everyone has their own concept of what it means, even those who claim to live by it. The whole argument is pointless and I wish people would just get over it and do the things they like, "lolita-like" or not.

I don't understand the question ... :ermm:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Llryanor, tell your girlfriend that dressing like a lolita is for idiots.

That should sort it out.

P.S. People tend to define their lifestyles in the context that others would understand. For example, I am not a prep, but I define my style of dress as prep. I wouldn't describe it as "my style," because then people wouldn't understand (1), and people would think I was some sort of pretentious fashionista (2).

P.P.S. As usual, it takes my supernatural intellect to bring the issue to light. God, I am so smrt. You rank amateurs should all quit living.

P.P.P.S. Seriously, Llyranor, just go yell at your girlfriend and stop posting psuedo-intellectual banter, or you're off my non-existent buddy list!

I'm lame and have nothing to add to the discussion at hand except Visual Kei bull****.

I'm thinking his post is some kind of Gabrielle parody. I've got a hunch the original term was Goth, then again, I know ****. Can't even write in the morning.

This post has been edited by Llyranor: Today, 07:01 AM

I'm lame and have nothing to add to the discussion at hand except Visual Kei bull****.

I'm thinking his post is some kind of Gabrielle parody. I've got a hunch the original term was Goth, then again, I know ****. Can't even write in the morning.

How did Llyranor manage to edit Baley's post?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I was asking myself the same question... :ermm:

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Llryanor, tell your girlfriend that dressing like a lolita is for idiots.

That should sort it out.

P.P.S.  As usual, it takes my supernatural intellect to bring the issue to light.  God, I am so smrt.  You rank amateurs should all quit living.

P.P.P.S.  Seriously, Llyranor, just go yell at your girlfriend and stop posting psuedo-intellectual banter, or you're off my non-existent buddy list!

The joke is you're right, only it's my (ex)girlfriend, not Llyranors. Note the ex, because I DID do the above :D

Some of you better know her as a camel.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

If you inspect Baley's post, you will notice that the 'edited' message is part of the body, i.e. Baley typed it himself. It is not part of the normal editing functions of this board.

Mystary solved!

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had