Al-Zarqawi Dead

LoneWolf16

"Battle not with monsters, lest in doing so you become a monster yourself. And if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Always liked that quote.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Ooh... good article Bales. Pretty much sums up my view on the whole thing :huh:

EDIT - If he had been caught, then he would have been tried in court for his crimes. You know, aren't the "democratic" nations meant to be setting an example to the "barbaric" ones? Celebrating this man's death only teaches that the death of an enemy is a good one. Not a good lesson. Not by my standards at least. And yes, I am aware of his crimes, as I do read and follow the News almost religiously (my obsession with the BBC News website has a part in that). Don't give me the whole "in the middle ages" **** Lovewolf... atrocities of all shapes and forms took place everywhere as recent as 100 years ago. Surely you know that.

And from my own research, and that I have read of other psychologists, anyone is capable of anything (do a google search of Milgram for an example).

Being that I'm 100% for capital punishment when necessary, I happen to believe the opposite. "Democratic" is not an antonym for "Barbaric". There is a distinct difference between putting someone to death for murdering a family of six in their own home and slaughtering/raping a whole town of innocents for no other reason than because they're there.

That wasn't the point I was making with the Middle Ages bit. I was just using that to call to mind the fact that those two particular methods were more merciful and speedier than that of these ****ers.

Yes, I do know that atrocities take place everywhere. Were it up to me, each of those responsible in all cases would be given a wonderful lesson in the concept of "An Eye for An Eye". But it's not, so apparently, people like you should be thankful that's not the case.

You may know of his crimes, but to see it is another thing entirely.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Respect to Mr Berg.

Indeed.

And btw, Lonewolf, that 'an eye for an eye' stuff is so OT. The NT says 'turn the other cheek' and 'love thy enemy'. (Though to clarify, I merely believe that violence on a personal level should be prohibited, but on the state level, it is a necessay evil because people like Zarqawi must be stopped from committing more crimes, but I certainly don't believe any individual has the right over another's life because let's face it, there is also 'let the one who is sinless cast the first stone'. Am I still making sense? :huh: )

Edited by julianw

And btw, Lonewolf, that 'an eye for an eye' stuff is so OT. The NT says 'turn the other cheek' and 'love thy enemy'.

Good thing I'm not religious. ^_^

- Everlast

"Battle not with monsters, lest in doing so you become a monster yourself. And if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

That's "He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." Try to not mangle it next time, hmm?

Edited by Nartwak

I don't see why any of us should restrain ourselves in celebrating the death of this man, hearing that he was dead brought a smile to my face. I find it only a pity that we couldn't get a public execution of some sort. All of these hardcore terrorist scum deserve nothing less.

Because that makes you like them.

War is a tool, nothing more.

When you kill in war, you're just a soldier, a warrior; when you enjoy the killing... any of it.. that just makes you a killer.

I'd like to think that they're the only killers in this, but I'm not that naieve.

Good thing you've got it all figured out.

Damn straight :p

Yeah. On the other hand, it'd be a bit better if you actually had the faintest clue in hell as to what you were talking about.

Care to elaborate? Not that I'm disagreeing, just like to see your take on this.

- Everlast

Huh? That's insulting to Baley, actually... :p

- Everlast

Hell no. 18, baby...woo...hoo?

- Everlast

Damn straight :p

Yeah. On the other hand, it'd be a bit better if you actually had the faintest clue in hell as to what you were talking about.

Care to elaborate? Not that I'm disagreeing, just like to see your take on this.

Her position is that by taking pleasure in the elimination of a man such as this, we bring ourselves down to the level of those we're fighting. It's absurd to ignore motivation and rationale; she calls us killers for being happy about the fact that we managed to kill those who wished to kill us before they managed to do so. Every legal system in the world, as far as I know, agrees with me in that you cannot lump all takings of life into the same category. I shoot the guy who breaks into my house, kills half my family, and then tries to kill me, and being happy that he's dead puts me on the same level as him?

I believe she may want to rethink that particular position, should she ever prove capable of emerging from the haze of patchouli and tie-dye.