A dirty little secret

Cantousent

i'm writing, too. however, my "works" are attempts at technical publication as well as a role as the draft editor for a soon-to-be ANSI standard.

you are right, it is lonely, and MSWORD sucks donkey nuggets. fortunately, most of what i'm writing now is from my existing knowledge base. i.e. the "research" part is not that intensive. however, the dissertation is about to take up 10-20 hours a week of such research, particularly in areas which i have no prior experience.

willpower is my only suggestion. wading through the endless background information is tedious, but can be gotten through simply by repeatedly telling yourself that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. just hope that the light isn't a train running in the other direction!

good luck.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Why would we laugh at you?

Actually, why would we not?

After you're done with the book, you should try experimenting with storytelling within an interative medium and make a CRPG!

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

My wife thinks of it as a mystery. My sister thinks of it as science fiction. I think of it as the story about people.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I've been flirting with the thought for some time now .. but my bset ideas are too close to some of those already published and I don't want to do a copy .. originality sucks.. ^_^ or maybe I should just stop reading books - then I wouldn't know if i'm commiting plagiarism! :*

but all power to you Eldar .. I hope you write a killer story! :wub:

Fortune favors the bald.

I'd have suggested getting some short stories published first. Maybe a novella. Or have you already passed that stage? Am I being too presumptuous?

Could you post some excerpts for us? Now, or when you finish the novel, I don't mean to rush you or anything.

I've got too much matierial for what I consider a novela at this point. I've written short stories and poetry, but I had a longer story in mind. The most important thing is that I have an outline. Hell, I'll be happy if I can finish this within the fifteen or so chapters I've got planned. If I continue to have the same sort of mission creep I've seen so far, the whole project will probably be a third again as large as I'd planned. That's not so bad, but I would like to finish it.

It's like taks said, it's like making a long run. With enough determination, you can do it, but it just takes so long. After I'm done, I'll probably post some for the folks here. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but mostly I'm just concentrating on finishing the story.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I completely sympathize with you, Eldar. As someone who's written a lot, I can safely say it isn't so easy, especially if it's a long work. The hardest part isn't coming up with ideas, it's just getting them down on paper! Worst part is, I'm not a good writer, so that makes life a little more difficult. But I try.

Coincidentally, this summer, as soon as I finish my fanfic I intend to write an original story that I've been thinking of for some time now. If I get around to it, I might just ask for critique from this board.

Anyway, keep it up. If I can find the attention span for it, I'm sure you can. I'm really eager to see what it's like.

I don't know if my current writing project would lend itself well to a NWN2 mod. On the other hand, some of my campaigns might work very well in that regard. That one I was running would probably be feasible, although I don't know that it would be easy. My take on NWN/2 mods is that they're difficult no matter what.

I enjoy writing campaigns, and most folks seem to enjoy them, but I've never seriously considered trying to translate one into a working module. I guess I can take a look at NWN2 when it comes out, but I would rather be part of a team in that case rather than going at it single handed.

Obsidian Plays

I don't know if my current writing project would lend itself well to a NWN2 mod.  On the other hand, some of my campaigns might work very well in that regard.  That one I was running would probably be feasible, although I don't know that it would be easy.  My take on NWN/2 mods is that they're difficult no matter what.

I enjoy writing campaigns, and most folks seem to enjoy them, but I've never seriously considered trying to translate one into a working module.  I guess I can take a look at NWN2 when it comes out, but I would rather be part of a team in that case rather than going at it single handed.

I may or may not need someone to help me with my writing :(

Edited by alanschu

Makes sense. You know, something like a NWN2 module, where you share control with the players, makes for some real work. The writing is probably a bit easier because it comes in smaller chunks, but consistency, continuity, and variety are going to be real killers. ...And that's just the writing. What about coding, scripting, and all sorts of other design aspects?

Obsidian Plays

I'm writing too, but my works are just reviews of other people's hard work, where I try to be fair, objective, personal and witty at the same time. It doesn't always work out the way I want (damn you, deadline!) but at least I can see a steady rate of improvement from my first reviewed game to my last.

I still regret having too little time and churning out an abysmal review of Call of Duty 2 though.. :|

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Seven chapters? I'm only on my second. :huh:

And it sucks.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Now, if you have any suggestions, I’d be glad to hear them.

Write about city, which towers look like giant penises trying to have intercourse with clouds. It would be a beautiful romantic story.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Makes sense.  You know, something like a NWN2 module, where you share control with the players, makes for some real work.  The writing is probably a bit easier because it comes in smaller chunks, but consistency, continuity, and variety are going to be real killers.  ...And that's just the writing.  What about coding, scripting, and all sorts of other design aspects?

Coding and scripting? Pffft. That's the stuff I like and am good at :D

I don't have as much confidence in my writing ability. My Grade 9 English read a story of mine in front of the class though and said it was a very creative story (Epic Space Adventure following in the lines of 2001 and 2010....except with big space ships and space battles!).

If you want to approach game design as a writer, you'll find it quite more challenging. It's when it doesn't get top priority that it starts feeling tacked on. And then we wonder why game stories are lacking.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)