ATI and AMD Merger

http://megagames.com/news/html/hardware/am...gerlikely.shtml

Hmm. If this proves to be true, then what'll happen with the graphics card market? Or with support for current ATI cards? Will they just sort of remain individual companies within a company, or what?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Their agendas and products are similar from a consumer/what can they offer me standpoint.

• They're both underdogs.
  • Their products generally offer more bang for buck, but because of their smaller company size product support may vary.
  • They both start with A's.

I don't see anything wrong with it.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I'd be surprised if they just dropped support. It sounds more like a consolidation of capital to help get fabs.

I'd imagine they will use graphics cards as an alternative source of income as well, sold under the ATI name.

You mean if people like me who prefer nVidia, would stop buying AMD processors out of principle? :lol

And I think GFX<->Motherboard is more relevant in terms of compatibility/optimisation than CPU<->GPU. Atleast for this generation.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I dunno, compatability? Optimization?

AMD would lose money in the long run if nVidia didn't run their games properly.

You can run an ATI card fine on a computer with an nVidia chipset.

ATI will go to hell in a hand basket if that happened. 

Why?

Edited by alanschu

If the company keeps the operations split, it wouldnt change much, other than the next time you buy an AMD processor, it would say "Recommend with an ATI Graphics Cards", and Vise Versa if you bought an ATI Graphics Card :devil:

Or they could solidify both companies to aid in the research and design of better CPUs and GPUs. I see this as a good thing. This isn't a way for AI to get at NVidia but a way AMD can get at Intel's market for their graphic systems, though it is bit of an over kill.

...shyte...I uses an AMD processor & an ATI gpu...I's part o' the conspiracy...an' I didna e'en know it... :devil:

:mellow:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

I wonder if they'll find a way to make the acronym recursive. I always like ATI's (which stands for ATI Technologies Incorporated :lol:)).

Or they could solidify both companies to aid in the research and design of better CPUs and GPUs. I see this as a good thing. This isn't a way for AI to get at NVidia but a way AMD can get at Intel's market for their graphic systems, though it is bit of an over kill.

If the article is correct it sounds more like AMD would be utilizing ATI's fab facilities for AMD processors. Given finite production, it sounds like ATI chipset supply would be taking a bit of a hit, as there'd be less fab time for ATI graphics chipsets. Though this would ignore any innovations AMD may have in producing chips, as well as any technology sharing between the two companies both in terms of wafer production as well as chip engineering.

In the end, I see it as a mutually beneficial for both sides.