Want a new CRPG.

tarna

If this has already been done as a topic, feel free to kick me for starting another thread.

I haven't played a game I liked since BG and IWD. I don't like shooter games, only RPGs like Shining Force ( old-assed Sega game ), Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale.

Suggestions?

I'm running a MSI Platinum motherboard with either a 4800+ or an FX-60 and a GeForce 6600 GTE or GeForce 7600 GT video card. Between 1 Gb to 4 Gb ram. WinXP Pro SP1. Plenty of hard-drive space.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Hey, there's this little-known game called Planescape: Torment you might want to check out. I've heard it's good and stuff. Also, I overheard some cool kids talking about Falloff or something like that.

Since you didn't mention them, you have played Fallout I/II and Planescape: Torment correct?

I imagine you are only playing on the PC as well...

There is Deus EX and System Shock 2... they are shooter-RPG hybrids that are both extremely well done. There is also Neverwinter Nights which is extremely cheap... $20 for 100 something hours of SP gameplay (assuming you enjoy the gameplay and stories). There is also the new wave of CRPG-type games... KOTOR I/II, Oblivion...

Edited by Haitoku

I wouldn't suggest NWN at this point. If you can get a really cheap version, or borrow a copy from a friend, you might want to try it.

Oblivion is my favorite out of the most recent games, and I couldn't actually force myself to play it again. I did the mage's story-line the frist time. I did the main story-line, the mage's story-line, and some side stories the second time. Now, I just can't get into it again. It was a great value, but it doesn't have the enduring classic value of Fallout, PS:T, or BG2.

Other than mods for these games, I can only suggest looking for a backstory or universe that really grabs you. I find that I can enjoy an otherwise mediocre game simply because the theme is intriguing.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I beg to differ. There's never a bad time to buy NWN1. How cna it be? It's the best game.

Vampire: Bloodlines is also another good (if you can handle the crappy combat) game to check out.

Avoid Oblivion at all cost unless you want to play another large but empty game that honours its predecessors.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Oblivion is a pretty big step up from its predecessors, which some people seem to have trouble dealing with. :)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Its predecessors. :))

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

If you haven't played Oblivion or Morrowind yet, I'd recommend starting with Morrowind. It seems very similar to Oblivion (though I'm only a few hours into Oblivion), but is probably much cheaper and still very pretty, if endlessly brown. I suspect you either like both games or hate both.

For very old games, I always recommend the Quest for Glory games - they're fun and funny, and with five games in the series (you can carry a single character through all five) have a real epic feel.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

"The best game is only rated about 75/100?"

No. The best game is rated in the 90s. The OC - which is just part of the game - is rated 75.

Come on, now. Don't be silly.

"Oblivion is a pretty big step up from its predecessors, which some people seem to have trouble dealing with."

:) This makes me chuckle. This is what people said about MW as well, and I got suckered into believing them. I went out, and bought the game... and, found out that they were right.... it was a step up.... yet, still wasn't good enough.

Perhaps, by the time ES10 come sout, the series will actually be fun. :-"

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The OC is the game, Volourn. The Toolset is not a game, its a tools set. Also mods are just that. Mods. Never judge a game based on mods.

I would say check out Oblivion. It is far better than the NWN 1 game.

Edited by Judge Hades

But it is fair to judge a game for its total package. Which happens to include a toolset.

Given that some very, very good stories have come out for it, not to mention that the package comes with two expansions, as well as some premium modules, it does have a lot of value added.

It's obtuse to simply choose to ignore a mod for the sake of ignoring a mod. Many, many people bought Half-Life and absolutely got way more than their money's worth out of it...and they didn't even play the single player nor the meh deathmatch that came with it. They played Counterstrike.

I don't judge Baldur's Gate based on Dark Side of the Sword Coast and I will not judge Neverwinter Nights on Dreamcatcher or Tortured Heart. It doesn't matter to me if the game comes with a Tool set or not. I will not judge Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2 based on their mods, nor Morrowind or Oblivion on their mods. Mods are mods. They are nice additions that give a game a bit of longevity but that is all.

I give the total package of the NWN 1 a grade of C and with the improvements of the expansions it inches up to a B.

How others play their games is no business to me and has zero impact how I judge a game's worth, Alan.

I'll try proposing other games besides the usual...

Anachronox: Lengthy JRPG-type for the PC. A bit old but still pretty and a lot of fun. Built with the Q3 engine if I remember correctly.

Summoner: First on PS2 it was ported to PC soon after. Not too bad but controls are a bit clunky. Good story.

Gothic 1: I prefered this one over the second. Controls need some getting used to but once you do it's a very enjoyable game. Very good story and level up scheme.

Gothic 2: Longer than the first, massive actually. With dragonslaying.

Divine Divinity: Diablo + Baldur's Gate hybrid. Need I say more? Pretty good story too.

Beyond Divinity: Follow-up to Divine. Same kind of game but deeper. Starforce included.

Wizardry 8: Simply one of the best, most under-appreciated CRPGs ever. Beautiful graphics, great story, fantastic voice-overs, realy good NPCs. The only downside to this game is the combat. Not that it's bad, just very hard(like 40-50 leveled oppponents against your 6 party members hard...). It also has the infamous Fantasy/Sci-Fi mix.

All these are 50+ hours each and have nothing to do with D&D except some inspiration. They're also all cheap now.

:)

You may also want to try Fable: The Lost Chapters. It looks good and is quite fun inducing but it's very short and superficial.

If you like Strategy RPGs I suggest the HoMM games as well as Age of Wonders 1 & 2, Disciples 1 & 2+expansions and Fallout Tactics.

Hope this helps. :blink:

I don't judge Baldur's Gate based on Dark Side of the Sword Coast and I will not judge Neverwinter Nights on Dreamcatcher or Tortured Heart.  It doesn't matter to me if the game comes with a Tool set or not.  I will not judge Knights of the Old Republic 1 or 2 based on their mods, nor Morrowind or Oblivion on their mods.  Mods are mods.  They are nice additions that give a game a bit of longevity but that is all. 

I give the total package of the NWN 1 a grade of C and with the improvements of the expansions it inches up to a B. 

How others play their games is no business to me and has zero impact how I judge a game's worth, Alan.

If you don't want to judge something that is part of the intended use of the program in question, then fine. If it makes you feel any better to give the game a C, knock yourself out. Don't criticize other people for considering things like that. If you don't consider it value added, fine. I'm not about to stop suggesting a game that has a kickass mod for it, so there's no sense in you telling me how you feel games should be rated.

I told people that if they got Half-Life, they could look forward to a kickass mod and get more bang for their buck. And I'll tell people about other future mods for their game purchasing decisions.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that mods add to a game and having a game moddable is a definite plus, but you can't depend on mods for consistant quality.

Which is why we haven't been recommending NWN purely for the fact that you CAN have mods. But rather that there ARE good mods.

I didn't bother commenting on The Opera or Action Half-Life when recommending Half-Life, because they weren't worth it IMO.

In some people's mind, Counterstrike alone justified a purchase of Half-Life, and they didn't even bother playing Half-Life or anything else. Just CS.

you can't depend on mods for consistant quality.
Um, yes, you can. It's a sound business model, as proven by NWN and HL to a lesser degree, in fact.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.