The ongoing saga of the Asus En 7900 GTX

They have a very bad review in the latest Custom PC, especially in pairs (i.e. Quad SLI): the cards aren't ventilated properly, and the quad-SLI drivers are crap.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

They have a very bad review in the latest Custom PC, especially in pairs (i.e. Quad SLI): the cards aren't ventilated properly, and the quad-SLI drivers are crap.

In Nvidia's defense, they have stated that they will not support Quad-SLI officially. They will provide some functionality in their drivers, but it's mostly a best-efforts kinda thing with no guarantees.

Okay, everything is running fine now. I haven't been able to play non-stop, but I've played as long as I could and even left the game running in some very graphics demanding areas and walked away to the other things I needed to do. The verdict: No problems at all.

...And this system is COOL. Sure, some cooling nut would scoff, but my CPU has not gone past 41C. That's running some pretty demanding stuff at the same time. The GPU is tough to know because it won't track during a 3D game. Still, by carefully tracking it immediately after I exit a game, the highest reading I've seen are 45C. Even if we assume there's period of cooling during the few seconds it takes to leave a game and start tracking again, I doubt if it's substantial. Not only that, but my system doesn't get wonkie anymore.

I'm still cautiously optimistic, but I'm more optimistic at this point than cautious. I still have a habit of tracking my temps. I keep a long of CPU, MB, and HDD temperatures. At idle, with the house at 78 degrees, the CPU is 37C, the MB is 40C, and the HDD is 54C. The HDD really doesn't fluxuate much. I've never seen it vary from 52-54C.

I continue to be thankful for everyone's good wishes.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Apparently so, although I suspect I might have done in my previous card myself. I didn't take the faceplate off the chasis for the air intake on the other one. The fact that there was zero airflow from the intake might have been the reason the card overheated. I dunno. At any rate, not a single glitch so far.

EDIT: And thanks for the nudge, alan.

Edited by Eldar

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Okay, everything is running fine now.  I haven't been able to play non-stop, but I've played as long as I could and even left the game running in some very graphics demanding areas and walked away to the other things I needed to do.  The verdict:  No problems at all.

...And this system is COOL.  Sure, some cooling nut would scoff, but my CPU has not gone past 41C.  That's running some pretty demanding stuff at the same time.  The GPU is tough to know because it won't track during a 3D game.  Still, by carefully tracking it immediately after I exit a game, the highest reading I've seen are 45C.  Even if we assume there's period of cooling during the few seconds it takes to leave a game and start tracking again, I doubt if it's substantial.  Not only that, but my system doesn't get wonkie anymore.

I'm still cautiously optimistic, but I'm more optimistic at this point than cautious.  I still have a habit of tracking my temps.  I keep a long of CPU, MB, and HDD temperatures.  At idle, with the house at 78 degrees, the CPU is 37C, the MB is 40C, and the HDD is 54C.  The HDD really doesn't fluxuate much.  I've never seen it vary from 52-54C.

I continue to be thankful for everyone's good wishes.

*claps hands* ... congrats, and enjoy! :p

By the way, 45C immediately after exiting a game is really good. That heatsink must be awesome. My 7800GTX stays at 55C at idle!

Doofus. I think of my house in terms of Farenheit. I think of my computer in terms of celsius. Just a slight confusion. No problem. These aren't the droids you're looking for.

Obsidian Plays

Throughout the world (except for the U.S.), the Celsius scale is universally used for most temperature measuring purposes. The entire scientific world (the U.S. included) measures temperature in kelvins on the thermodynamic (absolute) temperature scale and in Celsius.  Many engineering fields in the U.S., especially high-tech ones, also use the kelvin and Celsius scales. The bulk of the U.S. however, (its lay people, industry, meteorology, aviation, and government) relies upon the Fahrenheit scale.  Other engineering fields in the U.S. also rely upon the Rankine scale when working in thermodynamic-related disciplines such as combustion.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Which pretty much explains why I think of my house temperature in terms of Farenheit and my computer temperature in terms of Celsius. Go figure. :Eldar's ****-eating grin icon:

Obsidian Plays