The ongoing saga of the Asus En 7900 GTX

Well, friends, the RMA is completed. As some of you know, I've sent my video card, the manly Asus EN7900 GTX, back to the retailer for a replacement. Apparently, I managed to put everything back in the box. Actually, I had everything handy, so that wasn't an issue.

The new card has not yet shipped, but it should be here either tomorrow or Monday. Huzzah! Still, I'm not exactly happy. Why, you ask? Well, there are a few reasons.

First of all, I've had my new system built for about two weeks and I have yet to get an hour of unspotted gameplay on it. The card itself seemed to suffer from either overheating (my hope is that it was a faulty card that was causing overheating) or bad drivers. If the new card acts the same way, it's time to contact Asus directly and ask them what the hell gives with their card. Of course, it might be the motherboard (also Asus) or even the software. So, my system sits on its side, doing nothing. I must wait for a return part. I'm not even sure in the replacement part will take care of the problem. After that, I don't know what will take care of the problem. Why be unhappy?

In these chronicles, henchforth known as the Asus Account, I plan on detailing my every trial and tribulation. It has fallen on me to be the sacrificial lamb, testing the Geforce 7900 waters. See my mistakes, friends, and learn!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

that's too bad I've always been a fan of Asus motherboards, and they've always worked great. But 've never tried a graphics card from them...

If it's any consolation, I was looking at reviews on the 7900GTX and one person was complaining that it was locking up and overheating like crazy, and everyone else was saying theirs ran smooth as silk. Hopefully a new card will do ya better.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Next time, go with the ATI Radeon X1900XTX instead! It's about equally fast, equally pricey and equally huge, but I've had a lot less problems with my ATI experiences than my Nvidia ones (have a problematic Nvidia 7800 right now..). Personal opinion of course.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And my personal experiences are the direct opposite; nVidia cards sailing in the breeze while ATI served bugs on a silver platter. So you cant really trust anyone ;)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Yes, well, I just got back from Laughlin, where I contributed to my eventual death by liver failure.

At any rate, my UPS tracking number shows that the card will be here tomorrow. It was a big worry because we had plans to go to Luaghlin for quite some time. I wasn't sure, when I left, that the card might not be delivered sometime between 4pm, when we left, and 7pm, the latest UPS delivers. Luckily, it didn't go out until Friday and UPS doesn't deliver to residential customers on weekends. huzzah. It will be here some time tomorrow and I'll drop whater I'm doing, plug in the new video card, and play FEAR. Hopefully, it all works find. If it does, I'll be back to celebrate. If it doesn't, I'll be back, wailing and gnashing my teeth. Meanwhile, thanks for the kind words and wishes.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sorry to hear of your card problems. I've had a ASUS 6800TD installed on my aging Dell for a month, & dearly love it...

"For The Love Of Carnage And Discord, I Bring Annihilation And Cheap Beer!" - Mad Dwarf

"Watch that howling1. His sig used to eat cities." - Synaesthesia

"Beat me with a wet noodle huh? " - Feargus Urquhart

"the term "Board Troll" ain't a thing ta be proud o', lads" - Sargallath Abraxium

"The line between comedy and tragedy is pretty thin in these parts." - Overseer

" Grrr... ...Argh." - Darque

Thanks for the good-will, Howling. I'm keeping my finger's crossed. I hope I have cause for celebration tomorrow.

Obsidian Plays

Eldar I feel sorry for you...

I own a GF 6800 Ultra from Asus; now, before you jump on me on why I bring this up is that Ultra overheats more than 7x series especially GTX. It has standard fan... started overheating 5 months after I purchased it... the reason was I needed to change the thermal paste between GPU and cooler... now running VERY smooth and cold.

No idea what made the pasta degrade so fast and sudden but no more overheat :-

Drivers are not an issue nor the mobo as far as I`m concerned but the card itself..

Hope that helps

Well, my new card arrived and I'm cautiously optimistic. I had FEAR running for about an hour. The drivers I have keeping track of the heat update much better than before, but they still don't log. All in all, this has been a bad experience. The card was $489, which is okay, but having to worry about it dying on me takes the joy out of it. It wasn't worth $489 just to worry that the whole thing is going to take a dive on me.

On the other hand, I realize that there's always a small percentage of parts that goes bad. If you buy enough and build enough, you're going to get a bad apple. So, in that regard, it's not fair to judge the Asus EN7900GTX harshly. Still, I can't help it if this has left me a little disappointed.

All in all, the card performs wonderfully when it doesn't make my system unstable and unusable. I appreciate the good-will. I'll take the various tid-bits of advice to heart. Finally, I'll keep you guys posted as to how my new card works. One thing I'm NOT going to do is baby it. If the card can't handle the normal load without overheating, then I'm switching back to ATi.

Obsidian Plays

Well, It's day two. I haven't had much of a chance to get a lot of playing in, but the system has handled FEAR for a while at a time without going nutso on me. I'm still cautiously optimistic.

Something I noticed when I was monkying around inside the case, however, is that I might not have taken the face plate off the second part of the video card. The 7900 essentially takes up two slots, one for the video card and the other for the heatsink and cooler. The cooler screws into the opening next to the video output. That cooler has air intake along the whole size and I think I might have completely (as in 100%) blocked the air intake. I'm wondering if maybe I mistakenly caused my own video card problems. If I did, for shame!

Obsidian Plays