Age of Decadence

Back to the topic: is there anyone who disagrees with the absolute fact that this is going to be the bet RPG ever?

Yes: me.

I question VD's ability to write, especially based on what he considers to be good writing. Reading the dialogue in the "choices and consequences" thread, what I see is uninspired quest design and puke-inducing infodump dialogues.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

If it will be universally praised by the 'Codex as the new Fallout of this generation, i might give it a try.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

If it will be universally praised by the 'Codex as the new Fallout of this generation, i might give it a try.

My money's on at least one complaint there that the camera's awful and there's too much bloom.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

You guys don't know what you're talking about, these are very old graphics, the new ones are much better, and art design is great. Go look at the website. Edit: Here's an example post-23820-1244741711_thumb.jpg

Nope still poor. Just not laugh worthy.

Lol, people quote 3 year old posts with screenshots and laugh at them ? What's the point?

:) I really should read post dates, but had I seen that 3 yrs ago, I still would of laughed.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

I think devs need to watermark screenies with dates. :x

It's a low budget indie game. The threshold should be "does the game hurt my eyes" for technical quality. And AOD no longer does.

If you want more... well, it doesn't make any sense.

Back to the topic: is there anyone who disagrees with the absolute fact that this is going to be the bet RPG ever?

Reading the dialogue in the "choices and consequences" thread, what I see is uninspired quest design and puke-inducing infodump dialogues.

It's not as immersion breaking and just right down horrific as say Fallout 3's writing is (Not ALL of Fallout 3 is this bad... just a large part of it is).

As long as tyhe writing is "good" I'll be happy. The huge amounts of Choice and Consequences, many many different ways to approach quest, NO FEDEX

Reading the dialogue in the "choices and consequences" thread, what I see is uninspired quest design and puke-inducing infodump dialogues.

It's not as immersion breaking and just right down horrific as say Fallout 3's writing is (Not ALL of Fallout 3 is this bad... just a large part of it is).

As long as tyhe writing is "good" I'll be happy. The huge amounts of Choice and Consequences, many many different ways to approach quest, NO FEDEX

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I thought "immersion" was a hype concept? Certainly VD's definition seems to be that "immersion" is a pernicious element of dumbing-down and a destruction of all that fun number-crunching. I haven't played FO3, so I really can't comment on that, but that FO3's dialogues are bad nevertheless does not equate to meaning that VD can write. It's still awful.

As long as tyhe writing is "good" I'll be happy.

From the latest example posted, it isn't.

The huge amounts of Choice and Consequences, many many different ways to approach quest, NO FEDEX

It's a low budget indie game. The threshold should be "does the game hurt my eyes" for technical quality. And AOD no longer does.

If you want more... well, it doesn't make any sense.

I don't buy that, why should there be a rule for Iron Tower studios and another for say Obsidian. If graphics don't matter it should apply to all RPGs, not just to ones made by indie companies.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Says a bunch of stuff...

You can knit pick ANYTHING to death and bash it to it's basic elements. Still the final product, and how it is enjoyable to YOU as a gamer, is the ultimate end.

As someone who does a bunch of mods for KotOR/KotOR2 how about I do a review of your mods based on the the same criteria you have already stated?

AoD *has* the potential to be one of the better RPG's released in the past few years.

REAL choice and Consequences (Not Biowarian... It all leads to the same thing), Multiple ways to achieve quests (Not seen since Bloodlines), Stats that actually matter (See anything done by Bethesda) etc etc...

"Not Biowarian... It all leads to the same thing"

This is simply not true. If it was everybody's interatcion with the reporter in ME would have led to the reporter being punched or the bug queen would have been killed every time or you'd have no chocie but to have sex with Liara. But, none of this is true so what you are posting is intellectually dishonest. That may fly on the Codex but not on the lovely Obsidian forums.

P.S. AOD should be a good game.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Says a bunch of stuff...

AoD *has* the potential to be one of the better RPG's released in the past few years.

wrong word got stressed. aod has "potential"... which can be said of every game that ain't actually been released. am not sure what you has heard from aod developers that sounds marked different than the troika or obsidian or bio developers who promised real choices and consequences. sounds like many of same promises we has heard before... but with understandably less impressive production values. also, from what we has read, we thinks that developers is gonna be in for a rude awakening when they discover that having lots o' choices not result in spontaneous generation of compelling dialogue and engaging story.

somebody want a low-magic fantasy game that kinda plays like fallout? arcanum were actually built by folks who worked on fallout... and it kinda sucked. am not expecting aod developers to do much better.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Except Arcanum isn't low magic... though, it was a very good game.

you gotta point 'bout low magic or is you just making an observation? arcanum is a steampunk fantasy game with fo pretensions made by fo developers. fail. aod is a low magic fantasy game with fo pretensions made by fo fans. optimistic?

arcanum were crap. buggy. worse than the bugs were fact that it were dull. forgettable characters and mundane locations. there is a reason why arcanum npcs never shows up on any of those Best CRPG NPC lists you sees at virtual every game mag site. is 'cause arcanum story and characters were worse than bad... they were forgettable. tedious quests. bad writing. horrible balance. arcanum were far more interesting previous to actual playing, 'cause the novelty o' the setting and the Potential o' the game were its best features. never managed to live up to potential and kewl setting only held interest for first few hours of play.

aod setting not near as kewl as arcanum, and perceived potential not quite seem to reach arcanum levels neither as the developers not got fallout pedigree.

HA! Good Fun!

Says a bunch of stuff...

You can knit pick ANYTHING to death and bash it to it's basic elements. Still the final product, and how it is enjoyable to YOU as a gamer, is the ultimate end.

As someone who does a bunch of mods for KotOR/KotOR2 how about I do a review of your mods based on the the same criteria you have already stated?

REAL choice and Consequences (Not Biowarian... It all leads to the same thing), Multiple ways to achieve quests (Not seen since Bloodlines), Stats that actually matter (See anything done by Bethesda) etc etc...

Wow. That's an impressive fanboy lash-out there.

So, discussing the writing and quest design, which are, of course, going to be a fairly large part of the game is "knit picking" (sic). I also hardly bashed them to death. Could it be that you don't actually have a rebuttal and are lashing out in the hope of distracting attention from this, while reaffirming your own points in its favour?

If you want to send me your thoughts on my mods, go right ahead. I'll probably agree with you.

Wow. That's an impressive fanboy lash-out there.

So, discussing the writing and quest design, which are, of course, going to be a fairly large part of the game is "knit picking" (sic). I also hardly bashed them to death. Could it be that you don't actually have a rebuttal and are lashing out in the hope of distracting attention from this, while reaffirming your own points in its favour?

OK let's start from a base of a game that does not include "uninspired quest design and puke-inducing infodump dialogues". Having read the dialogues in AoD, I have no clue as to what game you have ever played or liked the writing in. Do you have an example we can start from?

Edited by Jaesun

Games with dialogue I did like? PS:T, KotOR 2 and MotB all come to mind.

"you gotta point 'bout low magic or is you just making an observation?"

You mae it sound like ARC was low magic. It isn't. As for your opinion that the game sucked, I'm not goin to go back and forth about an ancient game's quality. I do that way too much on the Codex. I'll pass it by here.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Games with dialogue I did like? ... KotOR 2 and MotB all come to mind.
While Vince's writing may not live up to the best from those games, they both certainly had their share of mediocre filler writing as well, which AoD will easily surpass.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

"you gotta point 'bout low magic or is you just making an observation?"

You mae it sound like ARC was low magic. It isn't. As for your opinion that the game sucked, I'm not goin to go back and forth about an ancient game's quality. I do that way too much on the Codex. I'll pass it by here.

your mistaken inference ain't our problem... and as we note before, what is the point? does make difference? and yeah, you been spending too much time at codex if you feel unnecessary need to correct w/o actual having a point.

but to stay on-topic...

aod actually looks like a marginal interesting fan-made game or low-budget indie project. am simply not seeing cause for over-the-top enthusiasm. "AoD *has* the potential to be one of the better RPG's released in the past few years." huh? if vol or vis said that they were making aod and over past number of years had displayed same dialogue and screenies as we see from iron tower, we would be heartily impressed. if we saw same dialogue and screenies released by obsidian or bioware as pre-release material for one of their games we would be somewhat dismissive. so how should we react to iron tower? is more like a vol mod or a genuine game from a legit developer? am s'posing that if game is priced similar to offerings from atari or ea we should probably judge relative to similarly priced commercial products.

HA! Good Fun!