Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Age of Decadence

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
545 replies to this topic

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 16961 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
Great interview, Dhruin! If VD does what he says he will 9whcih i have littel doubt he will); this could very well be one of the best games ever. :)

Jora

Jora

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
RPG Vault's Jonric interviewed Vaul- I mean Vince D. Weller:

http://rpgvault.ign....4/714762p1.html

http://rpgvault.ign....6/716455p1.html

Since dialogues and dialogue-based ways to solve quests play a large role, there are plenty of NPCs to talk to and use your skills on. NPCs provide information, give quests, help with quests, send assassins after you, try to manipulate you, could be manipulated by you, and do other fun stuff. They also show how reactive the world is, and how your actions affect it. You won't have to imagine the consequences of your actions, or even be told about them. You will see what happened to people you've met, helped, acted against, allied with or betrayed as you play the game.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Thank God, the stupid arguments about Volourn are over and we can move on to talk about the game, ja? :rolleyes:

I think one promising sign is that the number of classes and skills are not very large (7 and 23, respectively). Many small-time games try to encapsulate a huge variety of gameplay options to satisfy the Fan's Lament of streamlining and dumbing down - but it looks like these guys have realised the difficulty of trying to achieve that in an indie game, and picked their way through.

Not too sure I'm attracted by the heavily Roman-influenced setting (Weimer & Co's Byzantine setting seems more interesting), but I suppose they wanted the postapocalyptic element in there too. Looks good to put on a long-term watch.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4514 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
What about spells and magic?

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
It's from the Codex, Fallout > Magic.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Will there be a console port?

karka

karka

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1818 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Nope, it's a console only title with heavy jrpg elements.

Edited by karka, 05 July 2006 - 01:46 PM.

kirottu

kirottu

Luchador Ninja

• Members
  • 4514 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
A must buy then. :rolleyes: Canīt wait.

Calax

Calax

Former Superman

• Members
  • 8291 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
man sombody needs to have a black company game... not just myth but actual black company.

ramza

ramza

(10) Necromancer

• Members
  • 1418 posts
Graphics suck... forget that game!

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8471 posts
I never knew I was a graphics whore until I saw this:

Posted Image

You discover something new about yourself every day.. :luck:

Rhombus

Rhombus

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 42 posts
I happen to think it looks pretty good considering that they don't have the budget of Oblivion... compared to other indie RPGs it's actually close to the top graphics wise IMO..

karka

karka

(12) Mage

• Members
  • 1818 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Graphics are ok i think. But setting is not attractive.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Low-tech graphics are fine if they have style. Right now menus have style but lack polish, and as for those pseudo-Roman generics on the field... Gwarb?

Jora

Jora

(4) Theurgist

• Members
  • 228 posts
I think this looks great:

Posted Image

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8471 posts
I wonder how hard it would be to implement lightmaps on those textures? I mean, the thing that disturbs me the most about the graphics (which aren't really that bad) is that everything but characters lack shadowing and lighting. It wouldn't have to be realtime, just pre-calculated lights and shadows.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes

I wonder how hard it would be to implement lightmaps on those textures? I mean, the thing that disturbs me the most about the graphics (which aren't really that bad) is that everything but characters lack shadowing and lighting. It wouldn't have to be realtime, just pre-calculated lights and shadows.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

All you actually need to do is to open the scene in 3ds MAX, set a few lights then open the UV texture editor and use "render to texture" and it will make you a new texture file with the shadows and lights added to the texture :thumbsup: You can even just go with the default lighting. It can be done in 2 minutes. With this technique, you dont need a separate lightmap to add on top of your basic texture.

But that wont work if you use the same 512x512pixel PNG picture of a wood wall to texture all the wood walls, every object needs its own separate texture

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
I took the time to make a doodle to show more clearly

Posted Image

although maybe its the guys making the game that I should send this to.

Vaultman

Vaultman

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 40 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
I saw it, Kaftan. Thanks.

Tigranes

Tigranes

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 10164 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Yeah, lighting would be phenomenal. IE engines looked as good as they did because of the meticulous lighting. It's just one of those things that makes immersion and style go up in oodles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users