Age of Decadence

There are plenty of those on consoles. Some with pretty refined gameplay. Granted, they're combat-centric rather than focusing on roleplaying, but fart-a-fart fart.

Also, ToEE

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

This is bad writing? :o

post-23820-1245020601_thumb.jpg

post-23820-1245020620_thumb.jpg

Yes. The first one is rambling (incidentally, "determination" takes "in" as its negation), not terribly coherent and over-the-top. The second is just banal, and the occasionally unusual constructions are badly employed. The effect is clunking.

Both indeterminable and undeterminable are acceptable according to dictionary.com All your other points are wrong also, but it's a matter of taste, thus probably useless to argue about.

VD hypes his game by saying it will be great because (in his case) it will be like Fallout or Torment or whatever and anything else is dumbed down Hollywood crap. So I can't blame him, every Creative lead needs attention and some antagonist to bash. But we will see if this stays true once the game is released.
Can you show where he actually does that?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

This is bad writing? :ermm:

post-23820-1245020601_thumb.jpg

post-23820-1245020620_thumb.jpg

Yes. The first one is rambling (incidentally, "determination" takes "in" as its negation), not terribly coherent and over-the-top. The second is just banal, and the occasionally unusual constructions are badly employed. The effect is clunking.

Both indeterminable and undeterminable are acceptable according to dictionary.com All your other points are wrong also, but it's a matter of taste, thus probably useless to argue about.

:shifty:

What a fantastic non-rebuttal. Thank you for proving you are simply a fanboy, uninterested in debate and only willing to read and write blind praise of VD as the saviour of mankind.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

When you say things like rambling and banal, I can't prove a negative, thus all I can say it's not rambling or banal. You'd have to show why what you say is true, though since it's a matter of taste I wasn't going to demand that you do.

Edit: Some more character intros:

It was rumored that Darista, the guildmaster of Maadoran assassins, was once beautiful and even shared Gaelius’s bed once or twice. These days her beauty was well hidden behind several scars, a broken nose, and a mercenary tattoo on her cheek, displaying campaigns she fought in. Darista wasn’t the first female guildmaster, but she was the first who made assassinations a preferred choice for solving disputes and conflicts. As a result, business in the Maadoran guild was booming, and the number of satisfied customers was growing daily.

Linos the Skull owed his nickname to his appearance and his appearance to the decades of service to the merchants guild, which changed the enthusiastic youth with blue eyes and wavy auburn hair into a dispassionate old man with a bald head and cold, almost colorless eyes sitting deep within the dark sockets. Business to Linos was a boardgame. He moved pieces and executed strategies, without taking any "human element" into account. Good opportunities shouldn't be missed just because some people happened to be in the way.

If Lord Serenas the Victorious, the only son of Lord Gaelius' sister, had any good qualities, he managed to hide them well. Spoiled by his mother, despised by his uncle, manipulated by his uncle's enemies, and loved by whores, who gave him the title, Serenas never had a chance to become a man his "friends" convinced him he was. He lacked ambition and willpower, which made him useless to Gaelius, but very useful to everyone who would have preferred to see a puppet on the Aurelian throne.

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently they've found an artist to do NPC potraits, here are two of them:

A certain gentleman who possesses both the impeccable taste in RPGs and a formidable artistic talent has noticed that AoD is lacking in the portrait department and decided to do something about it.

antidas2.jpg

Antidas was the current and most likely the last Lord of House Daratan. It was prophesied that he would be the leader to restore Daratan to its original glory, and unwavering in his faith in the prophecy, Antidas undertook many a daring attack against Daratan's enemies. Unfortunately for both Antidas and his House, the prophecy failed to live up to its end of the bargain with disastrous consequences for House Daratan. With the loss of a fort and two entire legions, Antidas' domain was reduced to a crumbling, insignificant town and a small regiment of guards, and the prospects of glory slowly faded away.

linos2b.jpg

Linos the Skull owed his nickname to his appearance and his appearance to the decades of service to the merchants guild, which changed the enthusiastic youth with blue eyes and wavy auburn hair into a dispassionate old man with a bald head and cold, almost colorless eyes sitting deep within the dark sockets. Business to Linos was a boardgame. He moved pieces and executed strategies, without taking any "human element" into account. Good opportunities shouldn't be missed just because some people happened to be in the way.

Rest of them as well as some early interface redesigns are here.

1. It looks like it will be proper old-skool fun

2. I like graphics like that

3. So I want to play it

3. But the "combat demo is due in December 2012"

4. Ergo, vapourware

5. Shame, really

sonsofgygax.JPG

"combat demo is due in December 2012"

Wow, I didn't know this was so far off.

It's not. If the lead programmer hadn't been so occupied with his studies for the last few months, we would probably be playing it today.

Will this game be for online distribution only?

Nope, there will also be a boxed edition. From here:

Q: How much will Age of Decadence cost to purchase?

A: "$25 direct download, $50 for a box (proper full color box, full color manual with concept art , jewel case CD) plus shipping." (Ref)

Q: If I buy the collector's edition, will you allow me to download the game so I don't have to wait playing?

A: "Yes." (Ref)

Q: Any chance for a Linux or Macintosh port?

A: "Yes, we will do Linux and Mac versions, assuming that we won't run into serious problems with Torque." (Ref)

Q: When I buy the collector's edition, will I get all three versions of the game?

A: "We haven't given it any thoughts, and I'd hate to lie to you." (Ref)

I wanted to post this earlier when we were on the subject, but couldn't remember where it was. It's just reappeared, so here's the main quest outline:

post-23820-1246557509_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

Are you being funny or do you not know thats a picture full of empty boxes?

It's there just to show what degree of non-linearity we can expect. It'd be beyond silly to spoil the whole game at this point.