Age of Decadence

You what? Why would anyone donate to a video game company? You show support by buying their game, hell buy it twice if your obsessed, but donate?

You realize that it costs money to make games right?

that sounds like a legitimate question... for iron tower... not so much for the consumer. nevertheless, if vinnie can gets consumers to pay shekels to support his game Before it is finished, then more power to him.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You what? Why would anyone donate to a video game company? You show support by buying their game, hell buy it twice if your obsessed, but donate?

You realize that it costs money to make games right?

that sounds like a legitimate question... for iron tower... not so much for the consumer. nevertheless, if vinnie can gets consumers to pay shekels to support his game Before it is finished, then more power to him.

HA! Good Fun!

Well that's why people would. They want to support what ITS is doing and help it along as it goes

• 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Vince posted something on Iron Tower forum I thought might be interesting to someone following this game:

Re: What stage is this game at?

Edited by Wrath of Dagon

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Except he's not being douchy in that post, is he?

Don't become a meme of yourself, Purk. STAY TRUE! >_<

Personally I think they're overdoing it a bit at this point, though hard to know from the outside. I'm not expecting it till second half of '11.

I don't think it was patronizing. He even explained my there are so many kill x monsters in most games, it comes down to time and resources. He is just saying the reason it is taking so dang long is he is trying to keep the story and quests elaborate.

I expect both to be very good. If Dead State actually turns out to be better, it wouldn't be surprising at all since it has a professional developer with a proven track record and the whole team has had a ton more experience now compared to where they started.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I really enjoy the ideas of both games but the design goals of AoD resonates a bit more with me personally I think. Dead State sounds very creative and unique but I think there's the possibility of a few "trapfalls" in the whole survival design that could turn out very annoying for my personal tastes. I hope not though.

I enjoyed the hell out of the AoD combat demo, played it over and over again which makes me hopeful for the full-on game.

I'm glad they're taking their time on this. I love the concept of indie gaming but there are few indie (with no publisher support) RPGs which I feel have really been worked out.

Edited by Starwars

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

Yeah, I think AOD is trying to be the ideal traditional RPG, while Dead State is trying to innovate by bringing in some strategy elements like surviving with limited resources, improving the shelter and companion morale, which are also very interesting, but quite different from what AOD is trying to accomplish. I don't think it even makes much sense to compare the two, except in whatever areas they might overlap.

To be honest, I think Dead State will turn out fun and innovative and unique, but a fairly simple and limited game. This is a good thing in terms of Doublebear getting their first game out the door, and also 'innovative' and 'expansive' don't work well together in that context, but as a player, AOD is something 'meatier' to wait for.

AOD combat demo was actually very good, taste aside - if we're just looking at the question of single-character turn-based combat it was Fallout (1) done better. UI / usability wasn't bad either.

Oh please, like he isn't patronizing MMOs(which he is not in fact making) with his kill x monsters spiel.

The "kill enemy x, gather n items" design can be found in many other games besides MMO's. The Witcher, Risen, Gothic, Dragon Age, Geneforge, and most other RPGs out there all suffer from it. I don't see why it's douchy to say that creating interesting quests that don't follow that simple formula is hard and time-consuming.

if AOD doesn't suck I will be amazed.

don't get me wrong, I want it to be awesome, but really, who are we kidding here...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

He's basically implying that all those games took the easy way out

No, I think he's talking about his design philosophy and you're reaching for unnecessary connections. He sometimes says polarising and elitist things, but when he talks in detail about what he's trying to do with his own game (i.e. the more important stuff) he is usually just being honest about where he's coming from.

Outspokenness isn't necessarily better than PR-speak, but I prefer to hear honestly where devs are coming from and what their opinions are, so I can tell if they're being elitist, narrow-minded or whatever. I certainly don't want to mine what they say for potentially insulting comments and help push more devs towards the Pete Hines side of the scale.

if AOD doesn't suck I will be amazed.

Who knows, but actually, if it turns out to be turd I will be very, very amazed. There is (for a game with no ETA) a large amount of material out there that shows that (a) the writing is at least decent, and fits the old school style; (b) combat is relatively simple but well polished and fun if you like the style;

He's basically implying that all those games took the easy way out, while his will be super awesome because he spent years writing it and whatnot. It's all just bragging until he actually has something more than a tech demo to show for it.

He's never actually said it will be awesome. He's said he hopes that it'll be a good game that people want to replay and that "there's nothing revolutionary or evolutionary about it".

And a lot of games did take the easy way out when it comes to quests, even the ones that have excellent role-playing elements. Dragon Age suffers from tedious combat, 70% or so of which could've been cut from the game. The early chapters of Risen are great but the game then devolves into a hack & slash fest. I didn't play The Witcher very far but the opening chapter consist mainly of running around killing ghost dogs that manifest out of air. Etc. Etc.

It's only a good thing that a developer wants to move away from that kind of design. Plus he openly admits that making a different kind of game is harder than he thought. He's constantly being asked what is taking so long to finish AoD and many people are under the impression that the team's only polishing the graphics, so that's why he's saying that the quest design takes time.