What's your Job? pt 2

Bokishi

I'm currently vying for the position of The All Being, Master of Time, Space, and Dimension.

I am often nostalgic for my old summer janitorial job at a school. I could just go off on my own for hours and clean desks, shovel mulch or mop floors. Nobody bothered me, I just received my orders at the beginning of the day from the head custodian and did my thing.

Now, people are always bothering me. Write a story about this, write a story about that. Write a story about my new business and write it just like this. We need you to get so-and-so to say this particular thing, there's the story.

Don't these people know my creativity must not be caged?  :cool:

That really what it's like?

I'm going for a Journalism/Writing major and a newspaper seems to be a viable career path...or something on the internet, like a game site or whatever.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

That really what it's like?

I'm going for a Journalism/Writing major and a newspaper seems to be a viable career path...or something on the internet, like a game site or whatever.

Sometimes, like when you get to tell a great story of amazing people beating adversity into submission with a sharp stick, it's worth it. The rest of the time, it's a pain. Awful hours, awful pay, and dealing with lots of people who a) don't trust you or b) want to use you.

I never wanted to work for a daily, but like many young idealists, I thought I'd review albums for Rolling Stone. That dream died when I went to college and realized how many people had the same idea. So trade weeklies became the new dream job after a slick internship with a magazine that covered the plastics field. Problem is, the good ones require three years at a daily before they'll hire you.

Three years at the daily I currently write for would be like 30.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Crap. :(

All I really know how or like to do is write, so it just seemed like the best option. It's not too late to abandon that idea, as much as I would hate to do so, but I'd first like to know if it's even worth it to try continuing.

That, and I have no idea what I'm going to do with my life career-wise other than something like this.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I'm no guidance counselor, but my advice is to intern at a neighborhood weekly-type paper one of your first few years out of high school. They usually need the help, and that way you'll know for sure if it's something you'd want to spend the rest of your life doing.

In hindsight, I wish I had done something like that. Academics in college is generally presents the noble profession of journalism, but at an internship you would see the grim realities of the industry.

i.e. Let's do another story on the big car dealership doing a renovation, because they're our biggest advertiser. Or let's critique the police force's spending because the chief's been withholding public records.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Same as last-time you asked. :(

Working in a factory putting rubber a**holes in wooden hobby horses. :)

It's a tough job but somebody's gotta do it.

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

So that your horse gets new rubberage?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Is your cloak tinted beige?

So that was you I saved from the burning bathtub?

Oh, hi! :D What does the B in your crest stand for?

Which one? There are five.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Well, the second one from the left, of course.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I still work at an institution for addicts and "social misfits" (as they call themselves)..

celebrated my 12 month here just recently .. but soon off to join the annoying ranks of the telephone inteviewer that we all despise .. I do it for the money and joy of pissing people off! :D

Fortune favors the bald.

Student. Within the past 3 months I've written nearly 130 pages of essays and keep writing still. My job, is to be an unmitigatedly verbose writer; keep getting distracted from my real priorities because of stupid school requirements; and kill off time playing Turrican, watching Monty Python, and posting here as a way of coping with stress.

Edited by Raymond Luxury-Yacht

pronounced: Throatwobbler Mangrove

since we were just a little Gromnir, we has always wanted to be an Inqusitor for the Catholic Church... smite heretics and expose witches n' such. unfortunately even though we had the SATs our latin weren't good 'nuff and we couldn't get no scholarship... tanked the interview too when we let slip that our great grandfather were a Oglala shaman... so we went to Berkeley instead.

*sigh*

so now we is one of our firm's brain surgeons. not too long ago we were the hired gun, but there ain't no sense dwelling in the past.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Working for a Big4 accounting firm.

Its a good firm to work for, though it does tend to work you hard, but you learn a lot and are open to a lot of information on various big name companies.

I'm just apathetic towards the work. Don't know why. The world of Finance and Accounting just doesn't intrigue me. There goes my chances of ever rolling in the dough~ heh

I'm going to start school next year and start studying Biology and hopefully work my way up to med-school. I always wanted to become a pediatrician since I'm really good with kids and was very sick when I was young. I'm only 25 so I figure its not too late.

I got side-tracked somehow.

Anyways best of luck in your jobs fellow posters.

I've just recently finished my final year exams for my Psychology BSc, so I guess that makes me a non-studying student and amateur insomniac until Graduation... after that, I intend on working as an Assistant Psychologist until I get sick of working (approx. one year) and return to university to do my Masters :)

[color=gray][i]OO-TINI![/i][/color]

Well, the second one from the left, of course.

*thinks: lucky break!*

THAT one stands for brave.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm a baker.

I bake lots of things.

Donuts and french bread for example.

I wake up at 2am every morning.

It has it's nice parts and it's bad parts. At 2am there isn't anyone awake to annoy me, and commuting to work is pretty easy.

But I have to wake up at 2am, and that is difficult.

i was going to be a baker, but couldnt stomach the early wake ups. baking is fun though, and i still do it regulary.

Working on this.

It seems as though I have a webpage link that I did not know about (that goes to a 404 error naturally).  Guess which name I am? :("

Scripting ewwwwwww....

Most of the work I do isn't specifically scripting based, though there is some code gen.

The point of the program I work on is to allow people to create scripts without having to do the actual scripting.