The Witcher E3 2006 demo movie

The damned video never loaded for me. Still, I don't mind a hack-fest. Diablo and Dungeon Siege are great games.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I don't like the idea of doing everything with the mouse (don't think my hand could stand up to all the clicking). I hope they give us some decent keyboard controls, maybe even in the style of Crusader: No Remorse -- but that's probably asking for too much.

I think they should make the healing and mana potions work from hotkeys. Assuming they have health and mana potions. Playing the game completely one handed will mean my gamin' arm is hugely overpowered.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hmph.. I much prefer mouse focused games. Much more fun than those who force ya to use half the keyboard...

As for the video, it looks good. Much like NWN2, you can see specs of the Aurora style shining through - just with way better graphics...

The Witcher despite its 'limitation' of only one kind of PC is shaping up to be a rather neato game. :cool:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Still not impressed. It looks like Diablo III: Back in the Habit of the Legend of Curly's Gold.

I'm still waiting for them to show some actual dialogue rather than a 10-second snippit of the game cutting to letterbox mode with a guy telling you what to do.

That's not an RPG. It's an action game. Like Diablo.

I'm still waiting for them to show some actual dialogue rather than a 10-second snippit of the game cutting to letterbox mode with a guy telling you what to do.

That's not an RPG.  It's an action game.  Like Diablo.

Me too, they need to back off of hyping the combat already and put the dialogue system on display. They've said it will be fairly robust with multiple options and far-reaching outcomes, but that remains to be seen. If it's true however, it will certainly seperate it from being a mere Diablo clone, and will be a big improvement seen over the annoyingly simplistic Wiki system in the "action game", Oblivion. :(

The way german/eastern european developers look at the CRPG genre, Id say its not strange that nothing worth playing has come from there. Things like:

"Why would you want to create somerandom character yourself when you can play this cool guy with a big sword?!"

and Ive met one IRL, so Im not completely out of my hat here.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Funny, I don't recall Oblivion showing us much more dialogue, either.

Innocent (I swear it was!) jibe aside, it's true that we want to see more of the dialogue, but I'm not certain we'd get it. Every game keeps some things back from us, someitmes because they're disappointments, other times because it's a surprise.

Honestly, I don't foresee anything too different from KOTORs - classic dialogue system with a fair bit of skill/attribute/etc checks thrown in and a decent amount of choices. No worse than Oblivion or NWN.

Looks good to me. I liked the Diablo games and this will be good like those.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

There's a lot of good looking stuff in there.  I'm not a big fan of mouse-driven high-action melee combat, but I'd like to try it.  I wonder how ranged targeting works.  Is there auto-targeting, or is it manual?

The demo they posted on the NWN Vault last year, looked like manual targeting. Mouse click on target. The game was a little rough then too. Have they been in development longer than you guys have been working on NWN2?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Indeed.

But then, showing dialogue doesn't impress the average gamer.

Look how they all skipped through the text for NWN2 demos.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

This is a game I will definetly wait until after release and see what people think. I've really never been impressed with this title, but if people say its good after playing it, then I'll pick it up.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I think it looked pretty good. I'd consider getting it after reviews, etc.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Innocent (I swear it was!) jibe aside, it's true that we want to see more of the dialogue, but I'm not certain we'd get it. Every game keeps some things back from us, someitmes because they're disappointments, other times because it's a surprise.

Honestly, I don't foresee anything too different from KOTORs - classic dialogue system with a fair bit of skill/attribute/etc checks thrown in and a decent amount of choices. No worse than Oblivion or NWN.

Uh... Oblivion had the whole "come with me upstairs" dialogue thing. Everyone knew how Oblivion's dialogue would work from that, and what it would be like.

Not to mention, if you had played any of the Elder Scrolls games before, you pretty much knew what to expect.

I'm haven't seen a single demo of a conversation in the Witcher. I can keep waiting, though.

Well, thank Zeus they didn't keep the E3 demo dialogue in.

I recall seeing some Witcher dialogue when they were showing off the multiple ways to finish a quest.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The way german/eastern european developers look at the CRPG genre, Id say its not strange that nothing worth playing has come from there. Things like:

Bah, the Gothics have been the best action RPG series to date. If you consider yourself a CRPG fan and didn't give them a real chance, you did yourself a disservice.

"Why would you want to create somerandom character yourself when you can play this cool guy with a big sword?!"

Sure you're not referring to Japanese RPGs?

I'm haven't seen a single demo of a conversation in the Witcher.  I can keep waiting, though.

Last year I saw a demo that had some pretty extensive dialogue going on. The whole sequence revolved around The Witcher trying to get past a guarded gate. He could convince a prostitute to lead one of the guards away, get some thugs to attack the guards, etc.