Doom3 mods?

Arkan

I'm playing Doom 3, and while I like the gameplay and the graphics (sans the lack of light), the game itself is overall "meh". It's simply not DOOMy enough.

There is a mod for Doom3 called Classic DOOM 3

http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Classic_DO...r_Windows;52163

Is this basically the Original DOOM done with the new engine? If so, I may pick it up. Are there any other mods for D3? I ask because of the strategically place MODS button on the DOOM 3 menu screen.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

IIRC a coop mod was made. Should be cool if you have friends.

Ooh, link? Or is it off to a possibly fruitless google search?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

if you have friends.

:(

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

yeah the coop is pretty fun... but it removes the BFG from your arsenal.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Do your own google search, jerk.

I knew it you mean little......mean guy. :'(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Nice screenie. I'm going to reinstall it right now. That and HL2 to see if I can find any similarities with my FEAR problem with other graphics intensive FPSs. I haven't played any mods for any of the three, but I might pick up a few while I wait for something new.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, FEAR runs great but causes my system to go nuts after I quit. I mean, the screen flickers something fierce and it locks and unlocks. I've tried everything. I've lowered the settings, logged the MB, CPU, GPU, and HDD temps, tried waiting to see if maybe it would settle itself. Nothing works except a complete system reboot. I don't think it's the heat. If it is, then the sensors are all lying. I think it might be the driver or the copy protection. It's just driving me batty.

Of course, I seem to have lost my HL2 CD-Key. I guess I'll write to them tomorrow and see if it finally paid to register the game. If not... well I've played it through twice, so it's not a huge deal. I can't believe I misplaced the CD-Key. I've got all of the other ones, but no HL2. Dammit.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm guessing you bought a disc copy of the game then.

That sucks. You might get lucky as they should have your CD-Key associated with your account somewhere.

Another advantage of DD! :o (though I own a disc copy too :D). Seriously though, hope you find it. I've played through it twice as well, but there's something cool about being able to play the game at max details :o

Edited by alanschu

I'm guessing you bought a disc copy of the game then.

That sucks.  You might get lucky as they should have your CD-Key associated with your account somewhere.

Another advantage of DD! :(  (though I own a disc copy too :D).  Seriously though, hope you find it.  I've played through it twice as well, but there's something cool about being able to play the game at max details :p

Yeah, after a hd format I reinstalled HL2, even though I had to change my registered email address (as the one Valve had was invalid). It took about five minutes.

You probably won't need to use the DVD-key ... I don't recall off-hand, but certainly their central records will verify your ownership.

(Less than a week for Episode One (w00t) !)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I played some Doom 3 last night. It's a good game, but my current rig can't handle the full graphics at 1600x1200 settings. The FPS rate just crawls. In some areas, it's in the single digits. For some reason, my system runs FEAR much more smoothly than DOOM 3. With FEAR, I lowered some of my advanced graphics settings so my FPS rate test never went lower than ~35 (I've tested it a few times and I get different results). During the game, I've gotten a rate as low as 28 FPS. In DOOM 3, even at 1280x1024 and AA down to x8, I have several areas where the FPS rate dips to ~15.

Anyhow, I exited DOOM 3 and, just as it was with FEAR, the system went wonkie. The Asus SmartDoctor displayed 40C, but it quickly went to 48C and then back down again, so I don't think I can trust the sensor software. Of course, even getting over 50C shouldn't kill the whole system. I mean, it's not like it was 75C. Moreover, shouldn't the system become more stable as the temperature gets back into a normal range? Once it's gone wonkie, the system won't do with anything other than a full system reboot. I let the thing sit after it got wonkie yesterday and eventually it gave me a message that my drivers had stopped working.

My gut instinct is that the software stops tracking during the game or something and then picks back up again after I exit. without a full load, the temperature fluxuates between 38-42C on the video card. The rest of the system logs temperatures normally, but the video card doesn't keep a log so I don't know what the hell the deal is.

Anyhow, if you've made this far in my long post, is there an Omega driver solution for nvidia like there is for ATi? I've had good luck with nvidia in the past, but this experience is really harshing my buzz.

Obsidian Plays

I should have gone for the x1900, alan. You haven't had any problems running anything so far, have you?

Anyhow, I just played some more DOOM 3. If the system hasn't gone completely haywire when I exit, the smartdoctor refreshes the temperature. The GPU was 49C when I exited DOOM3 at 1280x1024 maxed in everything except AA, which was x8. So, I'm afraid it might be temperature related, which means, since I'm not going to buy a new motherboard and video card at this point, getting a good GPU heatsink and fan. A 3rd party solution for a new video card. Damn. I wonder how many there are available at this point.

Obsidian Plays

I should have gone for the x1900, alan.  You haven't had any problems running anything so far,  have you?

Anyhow, I just played some more DOOM 3.  If the system hasn't gone completely haywire when I exit, the smartdoctor refreshes the temperature.  The GPU was 49C when I exited DOOM3 at 1280x1024 maxed in everything except AA, which was x8.  So, I'm afraid it might be temperature related, which means, since I'm not going to buy a new motherboard and video card at this point, getting a good GPU heatsink and fan.  A 3rd party solution for a new video card.  Damn.  I wonder how many there are available at this point.

Nope :\

Sucks that you are having problems.

You might be able to get an RMA exchange on it. Maybe your card is defective.

It depends.  Some can run better under higher temperatures than others.

X800XL, I knew it would run hot since a lot of the initial reviews pointed out that it could easily be 40c at title temp... And yeah, it hovers around 40-45c at startup and shots up to about 70c during gameplay... really intensive stuff and have it shot up to the 90s...

I've never had any heat related problems though... not even an artifact.