Atari releasing the BGs & IWDs on cheap DVDs

I'll add my voice to the "IWD(1) is a fun game" crowd. Not perfect, and not like BG, but still very fun. It's focus is more on the action tho, even if there is a story. :)

I can play my favorite games repeatedly.

I typically can only play strategy and/or city-sim games over and over again for a decade or more.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i think IWD's story is actually the tightest of all the IE engine games, albeit not nearly as, uh, "in-depth" as the BG games. the reason most people never associate it with "good story" is probably due to the lack of background in all your characters (no joinable NPCs).

IWD2 just was... well, it had its moments. given more time it could have been good, i think.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Oddly, I liked both the IWD games better than BG.

I really hated having to run through empty area after empty area without anything really happening...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I have not played IWD 1, but the second oe was really good. Well, really good when it was the only rpg available. Ambience goes through the roof once you tackle the goblin siege though, so it can entertain me just with atmosphere.

Very good interactions, decent story, nice level design, good music and ambience plus character creation system to die for.

Calling BG better is just stupid.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

BG is better than IWD2. :(

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I might consider buying these even though I already own a copy of each one of these games. I like them a lot and might even be playing them 50 years from now. The problem is that my CDs are getting more and more scratched as time passes (especially the BG1 one, because of the weird CD case). I am sure they will break at some point, so it would be a shame not to take all the necessary measures so as to have a backup copy of these games.

Besides, there isn't any other game that I consider to be superior to BG2. It might be a good investment after all...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Sheesh, Volo, don't be in too much of a hurry to prove him right. :(

j/k!

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I might consider buying these even though I already own a copy of each one of these games. I like them a lot and might even be playing them 50 years from now. The problem is that my CDs are getting more and more scratched as time passes (especially the BG1 one, because of the weird CD case). I am sure they will break at some point, so it would be a shame not to take all the necessary measures so as to have a backup copy of these games.

Besides, there isn't any other game that I consider to be superior to BG2. It might be a good investment after all...

You might be able to play them in 50 years with an old computer lying around, or an emulator that will emulate a 50 year old OS.

right, I didn't think about all these things.... oh well, I might just as well do something else with this money of mine... :ninja:

Edited by ramza

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Where did that pic come from?

I see my question sparked a minor debate... I found an IWD demo disc that came with my BG2 and played a bit last night. During conversations with NPCs, I found myself waiting for interjections that never came.... and it made me sad. :shifty:

The combat was fun, although I died a lot.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs