Crazy Glue

alanschu

I went to watch the local sports team put themselves in the Stanley Cup Finals, and when I got home some asshat put glue in my keyholes.

After bothering the manager at home, with a screwdriver and some WD-40 we were able to clear the bottom lock, and by a stroke of luck we forgot to lock the deadbolt!

But trying to clean out the deadbolt is NOT working nearly as effectively. Any suggestions of clearing out this glue?

I assume it's some sort of crazy glue/super glue because it's clear, and exceptionally solid.

Thanks for the help.

I'm trying not to snicker, alan. I've just never heard of getting your 'keyholes glued' before. Although I've never tried this myself, I would suggest unscrewing the deadbolt and running the keyhole over an open flame. And don't forget to wear oven mitts!!

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Yeah, really, just take the locks off and save yourself the trouble of figuring out how to get through the glue.

Also, I'm not laughing. **** like this is annoying at best, downright enraging at worst. I say you enact a new security policy where anybody who comes near your door carrying glue of any kind gets a 9mm slug in the foot. ;)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

It's an apartment, so I don't know if new locks is really in the agenda. We'd need to get new keys or get the lock made for the current key and whatnot.

We anticipate having to take it apart. Though the landlords said they would take care of that tomorrow for us, since it was late and we were able to get inside.

Wiki says Acetone (nail polish remover) will soften the glue. Also cold temperatures will make it brittle, so you could put the lock in a freezer for a few hours.

Probably simpler to get a new one though. The keys whould come with it and the landlord should sort it out.

Edited by Surreptishus

http://www.jbfc.com/glues&.htm

'bout half way down there's solvents. If that's the only route you want to try to take...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I think you should get new locks and focus your energies on finding the perpetrator. You may find they do it again. Begin by dusting for prints. You won't be able to check tem against anything, but you'll get a rough idea of their hand size. You amy also learn something by checking the glue for loose hairs, flakes of skin, or threads of clothing.

Keep us posted. This will be interesting.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Tch, this junior league mayhem brings back some memories. Though the locks are likely ruined, if you're set on saving them you may want to consult a professional locksmith about repair. I think it would be cheaper to get a new lock and set of keys though.

I think you should get new locks and focus your energies on finding the perpetrator. You may find they do it again. Begin by dusting for prints. You won't be able to check tem against anything, but you'll get a rough idea of their hand size. You amy also learn something by checking the glue for loose hairs, flakes of skin, or threads of clothing.

Some fingerprints might be (partially) preserved in the glue, too, if there is any on the external surfaces ... definitely whomever had motive, opportunity and method (ability, knowledge, etc) will do it again ... I would bet they live / know someone who lives in the building.

Report it to the police, too; they need people to report all evidence such as this to build cases for later. :lol:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Some fingerprints might be (partially) preserved in the glue, too, if there is any on the external surfaces ... definitely whomever had motive, opportunity and method (ability, knowledge, etc) will do it again ... I would bet they live / know someone who lives in the building.

Report it to the police, too; they need people to report all evidence such as this to build cases for later. :lol:

There's no way the fingerprints would be in the glue, as the glue was only in the keyhole.

Fingerprints were out of the question since they'd be lucky to find one of ours smudged on there when we took a closer look to see why the key wasn't going in. It wasn't covering the entire lock, it was blocking the keyhole.

If I was to suspect anyone, I'd suspect the people below us, since they are the only people that we could possibly bother in our apartment, since we're on the top floor and the apartment adjacent to us only has a smart part of our walls adjacent, and it's our kitchens.

Perhaps this was fallout for me playing Half-Life 2 until 6 in the morning?

Don't assume it has to be someone in the building. It's absolute child's play* to get into an apartment block. Even one with a concierge. Make a list of people you think might be out to get you, subtract mainland China, and begin checking alibis.

*I had a strange childhood tho.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

If I was to suspect anyone, I'd suspect the people below us, since they are the only people that we could possibly bother in our apartment, since we're on the top floor and the apartment adjacent to us only has a smart part of our walls adjacent, and it's our kitchens.

Perhaps this was fallout for me playing Half-Life 2 until 6 in the morning?

Bake a cake (metaphorical or otherwise) and present it to the prime suspect, with the goal of observing their behavior. If they react as if it is a pleasant surprise, and are delighted, then it wasn't them. Otherwise, it was. Then plan your revenge as you will not be able to prove it, but at least you can get even.

What ever happened to knocking on the door and enquiring politely after the possible cause of the disturbance, offering assistance if required?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

dang... already done.

i was going to suggest you melt down the whole lock and retool all the components within. a little casting job maybe, and some fine machining and you'd have a nifty new lock missing only a few parts!

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Don't assume it has to be someone in the building. It's absolute child's play* to get into an apartment block. Even one with a concierge. Make a list of people you think might be out to get you, subtract mainland China, and begin checking alibis.

*I had a strange childhood tho.

I made a list of people that would be out to get me. Unless Hades or Battlewookiee know where I live, I can't imagine who it would be, outside of the people below us.

Most people don't know where I live. And certainly not anyone that I know I would have pissed off.

Edited by alanschu

Damn Frppr wipe... :)"

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

I can't see either of those two really bothering to come hunt you down. Did it happen to anyone else in the building?

-Elwood Blues

Nope. Not that I know of anyways.

That's what makes me concerned it wasn't just random. But the only people I associate with frequently that know where I live are my friends and family. And not just "casual" friends, but friends that I've been friends with for a decade and go on trips to the Dominican Republic with and whatnot.

Mystary!