What is race?

Eddo36

Hey folks, just 3 simple questions for my anthropology class. Would appreciate if you can answer. Anyways...

The 3 questions are:

1. How do you define "race"?

2. How many human races do you believe there are?

3. What are several examples of races you know?

You can debate if you want, but please just give me those three answers first. Please include your age and race, of if you don't wanna then just make up an age and race. Thanks.

1. Animals (incl. Humans) that share common similarities like look, behavior and intelligence and reproduce with each other.

2. Only one.

3. Humans, Tigers, Lions, Giraffes, Gorillas, Koala's, Kangeroos (etc. etc. etc.)

Make up a gender and age you like to...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

You can forget all your "we're all created equally under God" bollocks. It's scientific fact the human species is made up of different races. If this wasn't the case there'd be no where near as much difficulty utilising transplants across different ethnic groups.

Face it, we're genetically different. Of course some might argue it's only by a fraction of a percent so it doesn't really matter. True maybe... but don't forget there's only a 4% difference between us and chimps. Clearly it only takes a small difference, thus proving time travel is possible.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

There are quite a few difficulties in using transplants within a so-called race. It's just a question of degree. So, the question is, does the ability to transplant from one human to another decide the race issue?

Ah, you're just being a doofus anyhow.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yeah well, you're weird looking and your mum dresses you funny :)

Of course you're welcome to keep up the pretense a black man is only dark skinned and muscular because he grew up in the baking heat of Africa during his childhood (before he moved to america) and works out in the gym all day.

Ask any legitimate scientist and they'll tell you the reason different ethnic groups exist isn't because Mr Xuni works in the sun all day and doesn't eat enough vegetables... it's because he is genetically different from the rest of us.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Moose has got it. In spite of all this "Everyone is equal and everybody can capture pure sunshine in the form of an eternal smile along with rainbows, gumdrops, and lovey love" garbage is a little overdone.

The different races, note the word different, are the way they are because...well, think Darwin. We evolved to better adapt to our particular envrionment. Simple.

And to answer the OP's questions.

1. Different "forms" of a creature which have evolved in a way that best suites their surroundings.

2. As many as there are different locales.

3. The basic broad ones...Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern...etc.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Of course, but the differences between two white men can be much greater than between a white man and a black one. As long as race becomes a general expectation of certain traits neutral in their definition, it's all good.

I don't think he has ever taken a class.

Ever.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Moose has got it. In spite of all this "Everyone is equal and everybody can capture pure sunshine in the form of an eternal smile along with rainbows, gumdrops, and lovey love" garbage is a little overdone.

The different races, note the word different, are the way they are because...well, think Darwin. We evolved to better adapt to our particular envrionment. Simple.

And to answer the OP's questions.

1. Different "forms" of a creature which have evolved in a way that best suites their surroundings.

2. As many as there are different locales.

3. The basic broad ones...Black, White, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern...etc.

I agree with lonely protos dude here completely. ;)

This "there is only one race" **** doesn't fly.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

There is some evidence to support the conjecture that (the arbitrary distinction between the two species of) human and chimpanzees interbred for a period of time, before they eventually "diversified" completely ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I am not! (That might even be a compliment; but, still, an undeserved one.)

Waits for the penny to drop ...

It still doesn't make sense. I mean, maybe if he added 'a' to it. Like, You're a definition or something.

You're definition makes no sense.

:p

It actually sounds like a badass smack talk before you lay the beat down on someone.

"Who are you?"

"I AM DEFINITION!"

"WHa-" *pow* *bam* *kapow*

Edited by alanschu

A group of individuals who share enough hereditary traits to be classified as a group of their own.

Two. Man and Woman

Indianapolis 500, Silverstone, Le Mans...

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

How could you miss Daytona?!?!?

Blame it on my european heritage, I'm only superficially familiar with north american sports :">

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I don't think he has ever taken a class.

Ever.

Screw ya... :)"

And yes, I do think we (Humans (-Homo-Sapien)) are one "race". There might be differences between black and white people, but so are there differences between me and every family member I have. Hell; twins are never the same mentally. Thus can we forget all the outter visual stuff and concentrate on the inner which while different with each and every human has enough in common to be shared under a single race...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Reluctantly, if at all. We draw our definitions from our own culture, or at least the culture with which we choose to identify. For me, that's Western science, and therefore race is, as the wikipedia article suggests, a social construct with more to do with culture and tradition than with biology or genetics.

Probably just the one.

Human.

As for age and race, on a census or visa application form I tend to tick the box marked 'British' or 'White'. I'm in my early thirties.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

And yes, I do think we (Humans (-Homo-Sapien)) are one "race". There might be differences between black and white people, but so are there differences between me and every family member I have. Hell; twins are never the same mentally. Thus can we forget all the outter visual stuff and concentrate on the inner which while different with each and every human has enough in common to be shared under a single race...
No. "Mental" differences only appear due to circumstancial incidences during a person's life, provided there's no neurological damage or genetical predisposition to mental disease. Twins (as in identical twins) are genetically identical. Therefore, from a biological standpoint, which is all that matters here, they are identical. Spiritual and moral concerns have no place in a scientific debate such as this.

And if there are greater physical differences between you and (close) members of your family (provided there's no interracial breeding), than there are between you and a member of a different race, you might want to consider undergoing a genealogical DNA test...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.