Light Side or Dark Side; and why?

As a person who has garnered much enjoyment from controlling characters who were on both sides of the proverbial coin, I wonder what path did you choose, why, and(if the case applies)why did you shun the other path? Did you walk the "gray" path, avoiding both extremes, and if so what side did your character ultimately choose to side with? Or did you do what I did, walk different paths in different games, and find your self enriched each time?

I play DS games primarily for the purpose of introspection. Everytime I play as a Sith Lord-to-be, I feel I learn a little about myself and why I choose not to do immoral acts in real life. It is a mostly safe, and somewhat thrilling, way to explore the dark side within me.

The reasons I play LS are probably more obvious. Save the galaxy, rebuild the Order, etc.

I play LS most of the time, and my 1st run throughs are always LS. At the end of the day, LS will always win. I mean just look at every movie out there. I have yet to see a movie where the bad guy wins. I mean playing DS with KotOR is like SW Episode III. Sure the bad guys take power, but there downfall will come. Also, it is in the Siths nature to *destroy* each other for their own selfish personal gains...

I just prefer LS cos I think its the *cannon* story which is what almost everyone uses. Look at Red Alert 2. They based it off the Allied victory in RA1, not the Soviets. Dont get me wrong, I still like to see the other perspective now and again...

If I could pay my electricity bill in proverbial coin I could buy a new graphics card. Hmmm.

As to your (rehashed) question, I just use whatever method I need to complete my mission. Lightside, darkside, all the same to me.

master of my domain

Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.

LS. Thug side... I mean DS ( :p ) has no appeal for me. And as Sagacious Zu says in Jade Empire: "I am no stranger to death. That alone is not enough to disturb me. But I see only weakness in targeting innocents... peripheral to the real enemy."

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

Would probably take LS. Besides, LS PCs can still be involved in a limited extent in DS quests without having to have alignment right down towards DS or to even deviate far from being neutral.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

I play LightSide usually because it makes things more interesting, just cutting down everyone in your way or threatening them gets dull after awhile, so i like to perhaps negotiate or help people out through the game. Also i feel LS is better, save the galaxy, destroy the Sith, re-unite with the Jedi Masters....etc

In either game, I typically start off Light side, depending how I feel will dictate my decisions. I will gladly collect on bounties, I usually treat my party members with respect, unless they get mouthy. Often there are events that will turn me one way or another.

Like in KOTOR you couldn't really be one or the other until you were a jedi, so when I first met Juhani I killed her....and the lure of a dual red lightsabers was too much to deny and I decided to follow the DS about 80% of the time.

In KOTOR2, my hatred of Kreia being a smart ass and eventually Atris' attitude turned me DS, in hopes of slaughtering them both.

wookiedance.gif

Like in KOTOR you couldn't really be one or the other until you were a jedi, so when I first met Juhani I killed her....and the lure of a dual red lightsabers was too much to deny and I decided to follow the DS about 80% of the time.

Actually when I get off Taris, I was about 80% towards LS (despite deathmatching Bendak :-), even before I become a Jedi :p

In KOTOR2, my hatred of Kreia being a smart ass and eventually Atris' attitude turned me DS, in hopes of slaughtering them both.

Yeah, but then you're proving Atris right in thinking you're DS. :lol:

"They might not call you a Jedi anymore, but believe me, you are. It's not the sort of thing that you just stop being. You're stuck with it, just like you're stuck being the General." ~Bao-Dur, Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords

When starting off I choose LS as I seem to get more of the big picture that way. Then I go DS to see what I missed. Since it's a game I don't really care knowing that all I'm senselessly murdering is code. In a roleplaying sense I guess I would go LS simply because while I can do some bad things, in the end I wouldn't have the heart to kill my allies and such.

Actually when I get off Taris, I was about 80% towards LS (despite deathmatching Bendak :huh:), even before I become a Jedi :)

Naturally, you can get about 80% for either "alignment", but in reality it doesn't mean anything until your a Jedi...then it matters the most :ermm:

To me Taris is just a continuation of the Endar Spire tutorial, but with some back story.

wookiedance.gif

JEDI WEAPONS MASTER VS SITH MARUADER.

The Weapons Master has slightly better defence for the most part because they have better saves but their offense is not as good. A Sith Muaraders offensive abilities are unmatched. Sith Muaraders can deal alot more damage. Thier feats are pretty much the same but one feat allows the Weapons Master to do an extra 6 points of damage into a mellee or unarmed attack where as the Sith Muarader can do that into ANY attack. Despite having weaker will saves than the Weapons Master they get the ultimate buff power for damage. This also makes up for your lack of defense comapred to the weapons master if you are a high lvl. Master Fury is a devastating buff. It gives you an unmatched +6 strength, some increases in saves, LOTS of extra vitaility points if you are a high lvl, and an extra 6 points of damage into an attack from every passing kill and a little bit of other stuff. So it gives you GREAT defense but UNMATCHED DAMAGE. The only reason I would even consider being a Weapons Master is to get force enlightment but even that doesn't match up to Master Fury damage wise and it is about the same denfensivley in most situations. You actually get more vitality points with the fury and the fury last for a good minute. All in all the Weapons Master may have slightly better denfense only because of his will saves but that's about it. The Maruaders have a huge damage advantage. Also the 1-8 damage bonus at full darkside is better than the +3 strength at full lightside. WINNER MARUADER.

JEDI WATCHMEN VS SITH ASSASIN.

It is simple. Again lightside has the defensive bonus because of the force enlightment buff you get once you have killed all the jedi and better saves but the Sith has the damage bonus because he has better sneak attack abilties that are unmatched. Force crush also more than makes up for not having force enlightment. This has got to be a draw in my eyes. Watchmen have a LARGE defensive advantage but the Sith have a LARGE sneak attack damage bonus. Also the dexterity vs Consitution bonus is a hard choice but with all the dexterity you get I would rather have that because it would be very hard to hit you with all of that dexterity. WINNER DRAW.

JEDI MASTER VS SITH LORD.

EASILY the Sith Lord. The Sith Lord is a master force user. Lightside is all buffs and to buff someone who is already physically weak is pointless because you should be using those buffs for combat masters like guardains, weapons masters and maruaders. The offensive powers of the darkside are devastating and so powerful they are cheap. Once Sith Lords get force crush they are litrally just cheap. Nobody can stop them. Even Sith Maruaders wouldn't be able to because force crush is the cheapest move of all time. The Sith Lord would just use force crush over and over again untill his enemy was dead. The enemy can not attack when all you use is force crush and THAT is why it is almost a cheat cause the enemy can NEVER attack when you have high enough force points. Anyway the winner would EASILY have to be the Sith Lord. WINNER SITH LORD.

Overall the darkside IS better and to me it's also funner to just go around and do whatever you want.

Duh, "Sidious was strongest sith lord in his time" my ass, he was the only sith lord
- Xard

I refuse to follow the path of the dark side. It goes against everything I believe in.

Pain is all mankind is sure to experience.

Somewhere this is a person, who has suffered a thousand planets' pain. Who has suffered pain that would kill a mortal, and still keeps fighting on. The one who reduces our suffering by taking the brunt of it. He is our true saviour.

He is the son of thunder and consolation.

I prefer LS, but I still think its worth playing it dark every now or again, just to get the fullest out of the game (I have yet to play with Hanharr, I'd take Jedi Mira anyday, plus she can turn to the DS, plus It would feel repetetive (Zalbar KotOR 1... stopped using him once I got Juhani :)))

... The only reason I would even consider being a Weapons Master is to get force enlightment...

Try playing DS 1st, then when you get to pick a Prestige Class, choose Sith Marauder, and as soon as you do that, turn towards the path of the light. If you are LS (I think Neutral too) by the time you meet the 3 Jedi on Dantooine, you should get force enlightenment. I think it should work because I got force crush when I played as a Dark Side Jedi Master :p. Now you have no reason to be a Weapon Master :huh:

Edited by aerowars617

first time i did LSF. second time was DSF. third time was DSM. fourth time was LSM. tried to do light side again, but i just couldn't make it all the way. so i have been DSF ever since. besides, you get force crush as a darksider.

kotorsign.jpg

"Are you an angel? Aw, I'm just kidding. That's the worst line I've ever used. Hope some poor kid doesn't start using it."

Are you just being sarcastic?

While I agree with your assessment of the first two classes, I disagree with the third. The jedi master I feel is better than the sith lord:

The jedi master's power "inspire followers" is better than crush opposition since it increases your damage and AB by 5, while crush opposition lowers the opponents stats, but allows a save. An consular/master gets +6 to wisdom as a mastery bonus, while a consular/sith lord gets +100 FP. The +6 to wis adds +3 to your DC's, and is worth an extra 90 FPs by level 30. Since your personal crystal also boosts wisdom (LS), you can start wisdom at 14, and get it to 30+ by end game with items, and never put a point in it. Instead, you can raise charisma at level up, giving you a discount on DS powers. Even 20 cha is good enough, as it will give you a -5 discount to every shot of force lightning.

Finally, I agree that Sith MArauder wins over Weapon MAster, especially for a dex build. You can however make a LS Sith MArauder, and get master fury and force enlightenment.

Interestingly, a DS guardian/Sith MAurauder makes a really good blaster wielding jedi, since the damage from mastery, increased combat damage I-III and fury all add to ranged weapon damage, while the LS power, increased melee damage, does not.