Atari Pulls Plug On Nwn1?

However,t he fact that BIO has avoided addressing the issue and actually moved 9instead of erasing) the thread when it was found on the NWN2 baords gives some credence to the overall story...

We all know how rigged these guys are in making sure Pro-BioWare stuff remains. Yay if they can get people await from that awfull Obsidian, with it's policy to allow discussion instead of immediate locking all what is offensive to the company; and thus allow an actual community that doesn't suck (and (asskiss)...

Well, *something* happened, but we're getting a one-sided story. DLA got the short end of the deal, so I wouldn't be surprised if the story's twisted to some degree, and mayhaps they're simply giving themselves too much credit. "Our content is so awesome that Obs will die because of us." These guys don't actually sound humble. A lot of this might be knee-jerk reactions. We'll see.

Troika, the modders-variety... :p"

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"We all know how rigged these guys are in making sure Pro-BioWare stuff remains. Yay if they can get people await from that awfull Obsidian, with it's policy to allow discussion instead of immediate locking all what is offensive to the company; and thus allow an actual community that doesn't suck (and (asskiss)..."

Nonsense.

BIO and Obsidian are on good terms last I checked. :p

And, there's enough negativtity towards both Bioware and Obsidian on those boards are left untouched.

"Our content is so awesome that Obs will die because of us."

Well.. that's just hype. It doens't matter how good or bad their work is in this case...

It should eb noted - again - Atari isn't stopping funding for NWN1 - they don't fund NWN and haven't done so for at least a year (accoridng to BIO).. they're just intervering with BIO supporting it inculding cancellation of 3 PM due out during the summer...

Atari: Oh noes! NWN will stop NWN2 from selling 'cause it's gonna get free ridable horses! Stop it!!!

R00fles!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

If Atari dies then o does the support of the game for I doubt Obsidian can afford to patch NWN 2 if Atari dies. Then again I don't see why Atari will pay for support NWN 2. They did such a wonderful job on ToEE and MoO3 after their release and Bioware put the money up for the majority of the patches for NWN 1, not Atari. You know, the more I read about this crap I see it just as that. No offense to Obsidian, but won't buy a game that will not get proper suport after release. Not any more.

If NWN 2 doesn't get better support than ToEE or KotOR 2 I don't see the point in buying it. The more I read of this bull**** the more I see NWN 2 being DOA. I'll just keep playing Oblivion and its mods.

Edited by Judge Hades

I am talking about full poper support. Not mods. Not beta patches. None of that crap. Quite simply NWN 1 raised the bar on what is standard and if Atari and Obsdiain cannot meet or exceed that standard then they should have let the series die with the first game.

End of Story.

"Honestly, I only care about the OC and official expansion packs, not some user made free content with rideable horsies, a few crappy tilesets and other nonsense."

They were hired professionals that had to go through professional QA.

Also, if Atari is in as deep trouble as they are, don't hold your breath for NWN2 expansions or foficial patches (outside of one or two basic ones).

This bodes very poorly for NWN2 through no fault of Obsidian's here.

Nonsense.

BIO and Obsidian are on good terms last I checked. :devil:

I was talking about the BioWare Forum Moderators. Wasn't that clear?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

They signed the contract, Volourn. They are just responsible for the game as the publisher. No excuses. With Atari's foot in the grave I guess there is no reason to waste the time on NWN 2 then. Oh well.

Edited by Judge Hades

Also, if Atari is in as deep trouble as they are, don't hold your breath for NWN2 expansions or foficial patches (outside of one or two basic ones).

Why not? If NWN2 appears to be their savior they might aswell throw a X-Pack to us to make even more out of it and give them a few months/years of survival...

^

As I said before that happened before.

It wouldn't be the first... nor the last time atleast...

^

"I was talking about the BioWare Forum Moderators. Wasn't that clear?"

No. But, it is now. And, you are still wrong. :D

"They signed the contract, Volourn. They are just responsible for the game as the publisher."

True to a point. Heck, I'm the first to always point that out. LOL But, if Atari says no expansions it means no expansions.

"If NWN2 appears to be their savior they might aswell throw a X-Pack to us to make even more out of it and give them a few months/years of survival..."

Expansions make money (or else why make 'em, lol); but they aren't going to save a company.

And, as Hades says, one game doesn't save a company either. Even if NWN2 sells millions of copies (NWN2 will at least sell 1 mil copies, I'd be shocked otherwise); it alone won't be enough to likely save Atari.

And, if Atari falls, it likely be a slow painful death where they

ll be fighting tooth and nail to stay alive which means focusing on products that cna do that - NWN2 patches and epxansions won't do that.

Remember, this is a company who for some odd reasons fears that a 2006 original game would threaten the chance at success for its 2006 sequel.

"As I said before that happened before."

Atari isn't Squaresoft which was a small company so its bill likely werne't as high as Atari. if a big company like Atari is in direness it needs a LOT of successes; not just one.

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

"If Atari 'dies', isn't the DnD CRPG license just going to be acquired by some other company?"

Interplay had a limited license. Atari has a stranghold on all D&D vieo game products for a long while yet. It's why BIO had no choice but to go with Atari. Interplay signed away their licence. Atari had the full license even before Interplay went Kaployee which is why it was even posisble for the transistion to even go.

"Interplay dying didn't stop NWN from flourishing."

If Atari 'dies' it will take a while. And, someone would have to buy it off them with Hasbro's oking. If Atari flat out dies then it would be up to WOTC/Hasbro. And, a mess like that could take awhile to sort out.

Edited by Volourn

If Atari 'dies', isn't the DnD CRPG license just going to be acquired by some other company? Interplay dying didn't stop NWN from flourishing.

Yep. I am sure that EA is waiting.

Well, atleast then we all could get BG 3... and 4 and 5 and 6 and 7... :D

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Not on a DnD title.

You are saying D&D titles sell too bad to get out of red numbers? If so why so many D&D games like IWD, BG, NWN, ToeE, (partially) PS:T, Kotor etc.

Lol; if only D&D games can be made by one company how can it be such a game saved said company if this is the first financial crisis :wacko:"

Expansions make money (or else why make 'em, lol); but they aren't going to save a company.

If NWN2 generates enough cash I cannot see why they try to gain additional funds in the form of an expansion or downloable content for $. All to save the company. Why risk money in a game not sure it is going to make profit if you can guarantee profit with bringing an X-Pack for an allready well-sold and profitable-proven game?

I hate EA.

Everybody who can call him (or her)self a "gamer" does...

^

"Everybody who can call him (or her)self a "gamer" does..."

YAY! I'm not a gamer! WOO HOO! I must have been fooling myself for over twenty years now! WOWSERS!

"If NWN2 generates enough cash I cannot see why they try to gain additional funds in the form of an expansion or downloable content for $. All to save the company. Why risk money in a game not sure it is going to make profit if you can guarantee profit with bringing an X-Pack for an allready well-sold and profitable-proven game?"

It's simple. Expansions simply don't seel as much as full fledge games,a nd they simply don't make as much money as full fledge games. there are, of course as always, exceptions to this but it's a rule nontheless.

Example: BG1 has sold 2 million + copies... TOTSC has sold 600k+ copies... that's about 30%... And, TOTSC is considered a SUCCCESSFUL expansion.

Companies don't get rich off expansions supposedly. They make a profit at best (again, there are liekly some exceptions that someone will likely point out).

:wacko:

Edited by Volourn

Better get some profit than risk a full game that can make loss...

And you must have some skill (in something) if you thought you were a gamer for the last 20 years while so obviously you don't... :D

^

"Better get some profit than risk a full game that can make loss..."

When a company is on the edge of cvollapse (supposedly like Atari is) making a small profit is likely not enough.

They need blockbusters that fill their penny bank up.

I seriously doubt Squaresoft would have survived if FF1 had made just a small profit as opposed to being the smash hit it was.

Edited by Volourn