The Nu Metal Topic

roshan

What are the best nu metal bands?

The ones I currently listen to are: Slipknot, Korn, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Shadows Fall and System of a Down.

What are the other great Nu Metal bands out there, and what makes their music good and unique?

Also, what is your opinion of Nu Metal? I think it is an underappreciated genre that faces unfair discrimination from many traditional metal fans.

Is Linkin Park too obvious?

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Unless they play more traditional metal, its numetal. But I dont listen to metal much anymore, it just feels like the genre has been going in circles for the last 5-10 years. In some specific subgenres like grindcore, that isnt really a problem because it was never about being original, but mostly its tiresome to hear bands plagiarize eachother ad infinitum.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I dont consider linkin park and limp bizkit to be nu metal. They are crap metal.

Fixed!

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I see where you're differentiating LP and LB from the rest of the "nu metal" crowd, because of their rap elements (MC-type frontman, DJ), but I still consider bands like them and hed (PE) to be from the "nu" school.

Qualifications:

No solos, just heavy riffs

Raging hormones

Unfocused anger at the world

Also, I wouldn't lump Shadows Fall in with the rest of that crowd. I haven't heard The War Within yet, but on previous albums they seemed to have more in common with traditional metal bands.

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Linkin' Park are the metal equivalent of Britney Spears.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

The ones I currently listen to are: Slipknot, Korn, Mudvayne, Disturbed, Drowning Pool, Shadows Fall and System of a Down.

i'm not sure i would necessarily put korn and disturbed into the numetal category. certainly their style is not the same genre as, for example, slayer, but it seems to be more of a progression not unlike that from led zeppelin/black sabbath to slayer. i.e. more of an evolution not a revolution. system of a down and drowning pool, however, and even slipknot, did take another step, IMO (i haven't heard much shadows fall and i'm not really a mudvayne fan).

anyway, i like most of it. disturbed in particular. you could probably even lump tool in there, btw, but they have been around a while so they may not count.

i'm hoping to go see disturbed in july in denver (off-fest break from the ozz-fest). i'll be out of place, however, as probably the oldest head-banger there (i'm an original, suffering neck problems now as a result of music from the early 80s).

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Qualifications:

Raging hormones

which is nothing more than a combination of the so-called "seattle-sound" (grunge) and traditional metal. i think the evolution was required as grunge all but eliminated the big-hair "metal" of the 80s which in turn impacted serious metal bands of the time. i quoted metal because i never considered bands like poison or ratt to be really metal.

metal to me was motorhead, early metallica, early megadeath, slayer, king diamond, black flag (big in st. louis on KWK, more punk, however), mercyful fate, venom (not a fan), et. al. too many to list. some would say that metallica (and even megadeath) sold out, but in the end, people are still listening so maybe that's what's required. i mean, don't evolve and then fade away without a whimper, or evolve to changing times and keep selling records. either way, fans of the original don't get anything they want in the long run (though slayer is still around, they don't garner as much attention now as then).

taks

Nu metal stands for New Urban Metal.

Slipknot and System of a Down are not and were never nu metal, they are alternative metal (especially the latter), and Disturbed hasn't been nu metal since The Sickness. Believe and Ten Thousand Fists are just hard rock.

Hell, all these bands (Disturbed as of recently) do guitar solos, and better ones than some 'classic metal bands' might I add. Most notably, Slayer. Kerry King never learned guitar scales, and his solos end up just being random notes which sound like utter dingo.

I feel sorry for half the bands with downtuned guitars that started playing music during the nu metal time, because they were all lumped into the same group. Incubus (whose genre varies - 'Morning View' was pretty much just pop rock) and Godsmack (post-grunge, most notably ripping off Alice In Chains) are prime examples.

Edited by TrueNeutral

I have no experience of neuemettuhl, so I can't really write anything worthwhile. I don't harbor any hate over it though. No reason to. I've hardly listened to it, so I really can't pass judgement.

For the record I find rather anal to call any genre crap(except r'n'b, **** I hate that ****), if your experience of it comes mostly from hearing random songs(which often are the obligatory "hit singles" to promote the band) heard from radio. However, I do not find the qualifications "set" by Drabs anything but appealing and have so far tried to stay away from the neuemettuhl.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I see where you're differentiating LP and LB from the rest of the "nu metal" crowd, because of their rap elements (MC-type frontman, DJ), but I still consider bands like them and hed (PE) to be from the "nu" school.

Qualifications:

Raging hormones

The problem with lumping rapmetal and numetal together is that most people who listen to bands like slipknot and korn would never even dream of listening to garbage like limp bizkit and linkin park. The styles are so far apart. I remember back in high school, me and all my friends listened to bands like slipknot and korn and we would often poke fun at this guy in our social group that used to listen to linkin park.

I listened to hybrid theory(linkin parks first album) and what i didnt like about it was that it didnt have any heavy riffs. Most of the songs were basically rap songs with some drum beats and guitar notes thrown in here and there. They had a few heavy songs like papercut but most of the album was not like that.

Also the lyrics and vocals are very different. Slipknot is angry and pissed off, linkin park is bitchy and whiny. Slipknot and korn hardly ever use rap, and when they do it is much less melodic than rap music or linkin parks rapping. Vocals tend to be spoken, screamed or in many cases even sung. Linkin park uses rapping, singing and whining.

They are two completely different genres of metal.

Nu metal stands for New Urban Metal.

Slipknot and System of a Down are not and were never nu metal, they are alternative metal (especially the latter), and Disturbed hasn't been nu metal since The Sickness. Believe and Ten Thousand Fists are just hard rock.

Hell, all these bands (Disturbed as of recently) do guitar solos, and better ones than some 'classic metal bands' might I add. Most notably, Slayer. Kerry King never learned guitar scales, and his solos end up just being random notes which sound like utter dingo.

I feel sorry for half the bands with downtuned guitars that started playing music during the nu metal time, because they were all lumped into the same group. Incubus (whose genre varies - 'Morning View' was pretty much just pop rock) and Godsmack (post-grunge, most notably ripping off Alice In Chains) are prime examples.

Why is 10 thousand fists hard rock? It sounds like traditional metal to me.

Wow...this isn't at all subjective. :-

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I thought Slipknot was kinda original back with their first release. Not so good later on.

Most of these bands are labelled nu-metal (limp-bizkit, korn, etc.) and sound totally different from each other.

Genre labels usually were just a tool for music fans to quickly hone in on stuff

to their taste. But nowadays I find it quite bothersome (genre-labels that is)...

nu-metal was (still is?) actually a degoratory term used by "real" metalheads to describe music thought as inferior or crappy.

Mostly music from the U.S. Though alot of euro bands are 'nu-metal' and some old-school bands sound decidedly nu-metallish. As well as being called sell-outs.

I'm more into punk and old-school crap myself. Danzig, Misfits, RATM etc.

But if you like loud and heavy music check out some of these fine euro outfits. Hypocrisy, Dimmu Borgir, In Flames

i always found RATM just waaay too whiny. i mean, how many songs about how bad "the machine" is before someone says "ok, i get it, you don't like the gubmint" :lol:

for the record, i otherwise love chris cornell's songwriting and voice (he did RATM songs, but i don't know how many).

taks

Lets see, Nu Metal, or such bands often described as nu metal, are by en large of no interest to me. Far as I am concerned it's all brittney with guitars, sure the subject matter may be different but it's all pop.

Don't get me wrong though I like what I like, and it's not some sorta metal elite type thing, mostly I like slow heavy dirges of metal. Nu Metal is too happy sounding, cheerful and weak, which is kinda ironic considering they're usually trying to show what are generally considered negative emotions, and I call it happy LOL. Perhaps it's that I find it to be dull, in that it doesn't touch me in the same way most pop music doesn't touch me.

To me comparing Korn to Evoken, or deftones to Esoteric is pointless, it's like comparing liberals and conservatives they're opposites.

I like alot of early Black Metal, Burzum for example, but Black metal is generally full of crappy bands, Doom metal is diverse.

I suppose what I'm saying is, Nu Metal sucks because Idon't relate to it and it doesn't relate to me.

I want Misanthropy, or I want something that screams something distant and ancient. No, I don't wanna hear about how some goon felt like killing himself because his g/f left him, and I certainly have no time to wastec contemplating John Davis's childhood, and how he's ****ed up.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

I think "Britney Spears with guitars" is a pretty good characterization.

I do think that Linkin Park produces some good stuff, relatively speaking. Kind of like how Satyricon is, arguably, the Mozart of Black Metal.

The overall genre may not be that great but there is some worthwhile stuff there.

I think "Britney Spears with guitars" is a pretty good characterization.

I do think that Linkin Park produces some good stuff, relatively speaking.  Kind of like how Satyricon is, arguably, the Mozart of Black Metal.

The overall genre may not be that great but there is some worthwhile stuff there.

Like I say folk like what they like, heck I like a certain bowling for soup song.... But that's because it makes me laugh.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me