Good adventure/puzzle games

As stated above, my friend's wife is in need of assistance. Your assistance. She has recently given birth and is going doolally at home with nowt to do but talk to the baby. They have a computer. She enjoys point and click puzzle games. She also enjoys (slightly less) text adventure games. She cannot shoot or fight for toffee.

I was wondering if you could suggest any good games to buy or download. She has finished all the Monkey Island games, and all the Zork games.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

LA Classics...

Day of the Tentacle

Sam and Max

Full Throttle

And some other adventures:

Syberia (1 and 2)

Runaway (though Disk swapping is a PAIN in the arse here and it contains StarForce)

The Longest Journey and Dreamfall

Paradise (black panther on front, from the creator of the Syberia's)

Gabriel Knights (1, 2 and 3)

That's about it. Sorry; no links...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Sanitarium.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yup. And alot of adventures also posses a "horror map" in them...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Cannot believe nobody mentioned Grim Fandango yet.

Reference to that game can be found in Monkey Island 3 >_<

^

I recommend Grim Fandango too.

Very creative and fun story!

A classic!

As dark is the absence of light, so evil is the absence of good.

If you would destroy evil, do good.

Evil cannot be perfected. Thank God.

Click here for ScummVM goodness

If she's computer literate or has someone to help set it up ScummVM is the best way to play LA adventures nowadays. She might like the Broken Sword games as they seem to appeal to women a little more but the LA games are more fun imo.

Beneath a Steel Sky and Flight of the Amazon Queen can be legally downloaded from the ScummVM site.

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Keepsake

Black Mirror

Everything else has already been mentioned. :)

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Beneath A Steel Sky is good.

So are the Monkey Island games, especially Escape From Monkey Island.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

So are the Monkey Island games, especially Escape From Monkey Island.

You gotta be kidding me right.

MI-4 the best?

Secret of Monkey Island (1): Good; very good

Return to Monkey Island (2): Also nice; but far more difficult (well, in the "normal" mode)... even more funny than MI-1

Curse of Monkey Island (3): My favorite... should I say more?

Escape from Monkey Island (4): SUCKS... crappy end of a perfectly good serie ;)

^

Very kind of you all to pitch in. ;) I have passed on your recommendations, and they were most gratefully received. If she does not go crazy with boredom and long-bomb the infant into a canal you may take some of the credit.

BTW I realy liked the look of Grim Fandango when I saw it.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There it is.

Phantasmagoria is Sierra's first attempt at a full-blown, live-action, interactive video adventure, and their ambition far outweighs the results. A four-plus-million-dollar budget and over two years in production do not necessarily translate into high quality gaming.

Much of Phantasmagoria is spent on typical adventure activities: exploring, grabbing items, and problem solving. And on that level, the game is reasonably enjoyable. In addition, the graphics are excellent, the music is emotive, and there are many pleasant surprises. But problems arise in several areas: experienced adventurers will find Phantasmagoria generally unchallenging, the characters weak, the violence over-the-top, and the script just lame. For instance, during day one Adrienne discovers a secret chapel full of bizarre items yet doesn't think it important enough to tell her husband. On day two, she barely breaks a sweat over the fact that her hubby has transformed from a loving partner to a crazed lunatic.

Many of this title's problems come from complexities inherent in taking a huge concept and trying to wring a game out of it. Somebody forgot to do some detailed planning and fine-tuning. This is clear from the character interactions, the repetitive nature of some scenes, and the unrealistic puzzles--the telescope eyepiece "glints" in the sand only after you discover you need it, even though you've walked by that spot several times already.

So why is Phantasmagoria so darned popular? It's accessible to newbies, it's a new genre, and Sierra has promoted the hell out of it. The built-in hint system can turn this into a cakewalk and you'll be wowed by the occasional top notch production values. Unfortunately, the repetitive violence may turn the newcomers off just as quickly. My recommendation: Phantasmagoria is only for the gaming-challenged. Otherwise try Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within. It's Sierra's second big-time video adventure and they learned from their mistakes.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP