Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Videocard thread

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

jaguars4ever

jaguars4ever

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 7093 posts

Just don't buy a steel case.

15kg > you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Posted Image

"If you don't want to scream 'LOOK AT ME', then get yourself a Media Center PC."

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts
I will probably be getting a Dell laptop.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Dell have notoriously poor battery technology (which is why I bought a Thinkpad after I bought a Dell: IBM have the best battery technology); so be sure to factor in a new battery after 12 months.

Mine lasted 12 months almost to the day, then became capable of about eight minutes' total capacity. :-

They also have a nasty cheap look, with all that plastic: and any laptop with enough gear stuffed in it won't be fun to port around. (Again, I bought a Thinkpad "T" model, which is the thin executive model, meaning not the largest screen and total weight < 4kg; my Dell is three years' older ande weighs > 6kg because it has more stuff, e.g. a floppy drive.)

Still, the Dell is still going, poor battery notwithstanding, and I use it for a Linux router / firewall / server / stuff.

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
Go for a gaming laptop.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
... Because those are the heaviest, and include 19" screens and last less than an hour on full battery ...! :lol:

Bokishi

Bokishi

Graphics Lord

• Members
  • 6451 posts
o rly

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Actually, the Rock lappies are best of breed.

:lol:"

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
I kind of like the Sony Vaio line-up of laptops. They're incredibly pleasing to the eye (slick, thin and chic) and carry some neat technology. Unfortunately, they're made by Sony and the price is set thereafter.

I dont particularly like Sony after all. =]

Dark_Raven

Dark_Raven

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 13727 posts

... Because those are the heaviest, and include 19" screens and last less than an hour on full battery ...! =]

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's all good. When one wants the best, they pay for it.

thepixiesrock

thepixiesrock

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 3694 posts
My dad got my sister a Dell laptop, so I assume that's what he will get me. Besides, I trust Dell. I've had this Dell for seven years and she's great.

Janmanden

Janmanden

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 744 posts
The first and only game that caused me to upgrade was Master of Magic in 1994. The game required a 1 MB SVGA card to run, which my onboard vga didn't have. I didn't pay any attention to the brand I just needed a 1 MB VGA card - and cheap. Even though I had been bottlenecked in a lot of areas it was actually a game that made me upgrade. Pretty funny, no? I think so.
  • 1994 Cirrus Logic GD-5426 1 MB (VLB)
  • 1997 Tseng Labs ET6000 2MB (PCI)
  • 1998 + 3D-Addon 3Dfx Voodoo 4MB (PCI)
  • 2000 3Dfx Voodoo 3 16MB (AGP)
  • 2002 Nvidia Geforce 2 PRO 64MB (AGP)
  • 2004 ATi 9600 128MB (AGP)
  • 2005 ATi 9600 PRO 128MB (AGP)
  • 2006 Nvidia 6800 XT 128MB (AGP)
The purchase of that (1) Cirrus Logic also marked the start of my pc home building experience. My pc of that time, the AST Bravo 386SX/33, 4 MB ram and 110MB HDD desktop was completely outdated, even by the time I got it, a year ealier (then it only had 2 MB ram). I didn't stop to notice the sockets of either VGA or motherboard before purchase of (1) and that AST only had ISA and the coating inside the AST desktop nearly fried my new motherboard, which I got subsequently (a VLB motherboard with a 486DX4 100MHz (Vesa Local Bus)).

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts
Wow, there's some cobwebs just blown off the old grey matter: AST, I was accredited to sell them. ^_^

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users