Ozone hole may disappear by 2050

Atreides

Yahoo News link

Sat May 20, 9:01 AM ET

TOKYO - The ozone hole over the Antarctic is likely to begin contracting in the future and may disappear by 2050 because of a reduction in the release of chlorofluorocarbons and other ozone-depleting gases, according to a team of Japanese scientists.

The findings are based on a series of numerical simulations carried out by Eiji Akiyoshi of the National Institute for Environmental Studies, near Tokyo, using projected emissions of chlorofluorocarbons and other gases blamed for the ozone hole.

According to a report posted Friday on the institute's Web site, the hole is at its largest now but is likely to gradually start contracting around 2020 and disappear by around 2050.

The team's findings are in line with research by other scientists.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Hopefully, I will have gotten my university degrees, finished reading all the mangas I like, and completed most of the games that keep collecting dust on my shelves because my pc is crappy right now (including KOTOR 1&2, and NWN2 soon enough)... so who cares? I will die as a happy man anyway... :x

Edited by ramza

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

We could send a team up to attack the Ozone Hole menace. Hey, that would make a great CRPG.

The real question is, what does this new bit of info say about global warming? I mean, the question isn't whether we have global warming or not. Global warming and cooling have been part of the natural planetary cycle since... well... the planet. The question is, did mankind create the warming this time around and are we responsible if the warming trend doesn't stop. If this info is true, then can we reverse global warming?

Maybe we could terraform our own planet!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hah, where would we live when the forming is in process?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yeah, six years to complete NWN 2, Dragon Age and any other decent RPG that gets released by then...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I wouldn't trust a civilisation that didn't have the number zero (thats like 50% of all binary figures missing) :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Yahoo News link

Sat May 20, 9:01 AM ET

TOKYO - The ozone hole over the Antarctic is likely to begin contracting in the future and may disappear by 2050 because of a reduction in the release of chlorofluorocarbons and other ozone-depleting gases, according to a team of Japanese scientists.

The findings are based on a series of numerical simulations carried out by Eiji Akiyoshi of the National Institute for Environmental Studies, near Tokyo, using projected emissions of chlorofluorocarbons and other gases blamed for the ozone hole.

According to a report posted Friday on the institute's Web site, the hole is at its largest now but is likely to gradually start contracting around 2020 and disappear by around 2050.

The team's findings are in line with research by other scientists.

Oh ya just in time nuclear winter!

Well, according to the Mayan calendar, the world's going to end in 2012, so we've got nothing to worry about.  >_<

Well all of the Mayans are already dead. Why do they care?

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Well, according to the Mayan calendar, the world's going to end in 2012, so we've got nothing to worry about.  :)

I thought the calender just came to an end, no explanations given :thumbsup:

You wish...:thumbsup:

Actually, the whole 2012 thing is a misconception, I think. I remember reading something that said the calendar really ends at around 4072. :blink:

Isn't this a good thing? I mean...the ozone layer isn't supposed to have a hole, right? So it'll all but disappear by 2050 according to these guys...

Or am I completely missing something.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

No, you're completely right.

Hole in ozone layer = badness

No more hole = good

Maybe theyve been exposed to so much corporate propaganda that theyve begun to believe the opposite? :unsure:"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Who said its a bad thing? :luck:

Hopefully, I will have gotten my university degrees, finished reading all the mangas I like, and completed most of the games that keep collecting dust on my shelves because my pc is crappy right now (including KOTOR 1&2, and NWN2 soon enough)... so who cares? I will die as a happy man anyway...  :p

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

I find Mothman's avatar rather mesmorizing...

On topic...if this is true, it's a good thing. Course, I'll probably be dead by then and won't notice. I want a time machine so I could see what the planet looks like 1000 years from now. Then again, maybe not...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

The National Zoo of Extinct Wonders Presents The Gweat & Terrible OZ...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

When I was starting my shuteye excercises later today, I did wonder what was so odd about this topic. Lovewolf is right.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

^_^

- Everlast