DVD vs CD

To each there own then.  Be technologically backwards.  In my experience DVDs are just as durable as CDs.  No more and no less.  If you actually take care of your discs they should last a fairly long time.

Oh, poor baby, deal with the fact for the first time on this forum the majority is going to agree with you :)

Fixed

:p"

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

To each there own then.  Be technologically backwards.  In my experience DVDs are just as durable as CDs.  No more and no less.  If you actually take care of your discs they should last a fairly long time.

Oh, poor baby, deal with the fact for the first time on this forum the majority is going to agree with you :)

I suck

:p"

I agree. :)

Its probably cheaper, if they ise DVDs then the cost of buying a PC game would be around $100, consumers would turn to pirating!

Actually DVD would be cheaper for the producer to make...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Oh, poor baby, deal with the fact for the first time on this forum the majority is going to agree with you :p

I suck

:)"

I loved that so much last night :)"

Oh really... great to hear :p

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

The circle of plastic isn't the big cost factor - it's the labor that goes into what goes onto that circle of plastic. That and greed, of course.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Your not going to tell me printing 4 CD's with labels and stuff is less expensive than 1 DVD with that stuff...

Besides the extra amount of labelstuff, amount of disks, enlarged amount of needed time etc. CD's would totally rock for producers ofcourse

^

Oh, poor baby, deal with the fact for the first time on this forum the majority is going to agree with you :p

I suck

:)"

I loved that so much last night :)"

Oh really... great to hear :p

Yeah, beating you with a stick like a pinata was fun :)

Next time I'll use the chainsaw :)

DAMN... I expected a edit of my post... so I could edit your post again

Damn you breaking that trend :p

^

Re: CD vs. DVD durability; I burn LOTS of discs. Not as many as some people, but far more than an average user. I also only buy premium-quality discs. In my experience, a very large percentage of burnt CDs (at least 25%) becomes unreadable after 2-4 years, even if they aren't exposed to any physical damage. I've had CDs without as much as a single scratch mark being completely unreadable by high-quality CD drives. Now, granted, I haven't had a DVD writer for as long, but I have yet to find a single DVD in my collection that doesn't work. From my experience, if a DVD has problems, they'll show during the burning, and are usually on the outermost 5% of the disc's surface. I have no clue as to why this is, but it's sure better than burning a CD and then being unpleasantly surprised that it doesn't work 2 years later.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Even if DVDs became the standard... you'll still have disc swapping.

You KNOW developers would take advantage of this.

It's been proven time and time again.

Good point. That eventually happens with all new forms of media. They find they can fit more onto the disks, so produce more information to fill them.

Pretty soon either HD-DVD or Blu-Ray will become the "New kid on the block" and then the next bit of technology...etc...etc. ad infinitum.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't capitalize on the current technology so long as it's affordable. :unsure:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Rather 3 DVD's with swapping than 14 CD's swapping...

^

Still makes the swapping argument pretty moot when you think about it.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

You get more for your money.

I don't see the issue :unsure:

^

Also, you don't have to swap to play games anymore once you've installed them... for the umpteenth time the 'swapping' argument is alreayd DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Runaway, Syberia...

It sucks...

(Guess Fahrenheit with CD's too, but I have it on DVD so I can't tell of certain :unsure:" )

EDIT: Especially sucks with Runaway, which FORCES you to insert Disk1 even if you have to enter any of the other 2 disks to load your save...

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

Also, you don't have to swap to play games anymore once you've installed them... for the umpteenth time the 'swapping' argument is alreayd DEAD ON ARRIVAL.

Yeah, but why go through the initial annoyance? :unsure:

- Everlast

I thought some of the eventual unreadable burned CD problems came from incompatability of later software/drives/burn formats or something...but as usual I'm a total confused nub tech-wise, that's just an impression from reading some stuff.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"Runaway, Syberia...

It sucks...

(Guess Fahrenheit with CD's too, but I have it on DVD so I can't tell of certain )"

Then, thankfully, I haven't played those ones. :unsure:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

DVD vs CD

Een DVD bestaat uit 3 lagen, beschermlaag - gevoelige laag - beschermlaag. Een zelf te branden CD bestaat uit slechts 2 lagen, de gevoelige informatie is dus zeer maar dan ook zeer makkelijk te beschadigen. Een DVD heeft een veel betere bescherming. Op een CD-Rom is het ook mogelijk om bewegende beelden vast te leggen, maar gezien de zeer geringe bescherming is dit eigenlijk geen optie voor een lange periode. Een DVD leent zich daar veel beter voor, ook omdat op een DVD veel meer informatie kan bevatten, 4,7Gb ipv 0,8Gb.

For the non-dutch a translation:

DVD vs CD

A DVD exists out of 3 layers, a protection layer -sensitive layer- protective layer. A CD you burn yourself only has 2 layers, so the sensitive information is very, very easy to damage. A DVD has a much beter protection. On a CD-Rom it is also possible to capture moving footage, but due to the abscense of protection this is no option for a long period. A DVD is far beter for that, also because it can contain alot more data... 4.7GB instead of 0.8GB

^

In response to the scratching argument: Hades is right, CDs and DVDs are made of the same physical materials, and it is just as easy to scratch one as the other. You could argue that since data on a DVD is much more densely packed than on a CD, the probability that a physical scratch of a certain size screws up the Error Correction Codes is higher on a DVD. In practice, I don't believe there is any data supporting this hypothesis. Even if it were true to some extent, the orders of magnitude of advantage that a DVD provides in terms of storage capacity makes CDs a laughable option.

The only argument you can make against DVDs is the substantial investment you need to make in order to purchase a DVD drive: $18.99 + shipping. :unsure: Consider alternative uses for that kind of money - half a dinner at a nice restaurant, 2 movies at the theater, half of a PC game, 2 music CDs, a crappy keyboard, a set of horrible desktop speakers... the possibilities are endless. Why, you could even invest the money in some Google stock!

DVD vs CD

A DVD exists out of 3 layers, a protection layer -sensitive layer- protective layer. A CD you burn yourself only has 2 layers, so the sensitive information is very, very easy to damage. A DVD has a much beter protection. On a CD-Rom it is also possible to capture moving footage, but due to the abscense of protection this is no option for a long period. A DVD is far beter for that, also because it can contain alot more data... 4.7GB instead of 0.8GB

BW FTW! :unsure:

- Everlast

Bah...eventually it'll all be Matrix-like or Multivac-like anyway.

Did you know you can currently get yourself 'chipped?' Personal info in a scan-readble chip implanted under the skin!