DVD vs CD

DVD drives on computers are for wussies. I actually have one; but I don't use it. It's evil... at least until I bother to start using it.

Only lazy people who cna't manage installing 6 CDs are so desperate for DVD to actually be normal. Or, nature lovers who love animals more than people as well..

These are usually the same people who are anti game manuals, and deseve to be ignored. :)

If this was a serious post... :blink:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

"If this was a serious post... "

Deadly seriously. I'm with Darque. I have a DVD drive... and, enver bother to use it. If given a chocie between DVD and CD, CD anytime. That said, I'm sure I'll be brainwashed eventually into using the DVD drive.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why would you use 6 disks instead of one? The sense behind that escapes me.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

More toxic waste doesn't mean better toxic waste. :blink:

- Everlast

What the hell?

What possible advantage could CDs have over DVDs when it comes to installing games?

I love my DVD burner... I remember having to backup all my old stuff on tons of CDs... Now it's just a couple of DVDs. :D

Edited by Haitoku

I imagine that all those who don't own DVD-RW drives have no data on their computers worth backing up.

My computer sucks, yet I've had a DVD-ROM (Pioneer 500M) for some... five years now? I bought a DVD-RW (Plextor PX-712A) two years ago. I burn approximately 1 DVD worth of backup every month or so, and I can't remember the last time I actually bought a CD-R. CDs are dead.

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

Volourn and Darque just proved my point you guys are whacko.

No wonder Wallmart delivers on CD then...

Anyways; It is hard gaming with a CD-drive here in Europe and I don't mind AT ALL. The more data on the disk at once without swapping the better. DAMN Kotor2 and DS2 with their silly 4CD's!

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Maybe the difference is on the manufacturing end. Mass-production facilities for games would likely have an installed base of older equipment, which is expensive to replace and still works. Just a guess. It's also possible that structural differences between CD and DVD formats needed some ironing out. I remember Pandora Directive shipped with both multiple CD's and one DVD in the same box, but I could never get the DVD version to work.

I think the publishers are more concerned about making sure the product can be run by as many people as possible. Hence they'd rather go CDs than straight DVDs which may only be supported by a % of the target market.

I hope they compromise and make a mix of both though. It'd be interesting to see recent marketing data to see what % of purchases are DVD when consumers have a choice, adjusting for availability etc.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Why is that?

Aren't DVDs easier to scratch?

If you think that's a big problem, take a look at the surface of any DVD from movie rental.

What do you expect, you got the DVD from blockbuster. And when you rent games from there, they're just as scartched.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

What do you expect, you got the CD from blockbuster. And when you rent games from there, they're just as scartched.

That's the point. Scratches aren't a big problem, because the DVD is still readable.

I've rented several movies that were scratched and because of it they would skip or stick at certain spots.

I'm not convinced.

Some DVD players are hardier than others, my PC one seems to be pretty good at plowing through disc problems.

Edited by Jumjalum

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

This is silly. A DVD is just as scratchable as a CD and a CD is as scratchable as a DVD. If you have a huge scratch on a DVD yes there info on it will be screwed. The same would be true if you have a huge scratch on a CD. Scratchings is a lame arse argument against DVDs since both mediums are equally screwed if they get scratched and both can be easily scratched if you aren't careful with your discs. >_<

It is easier to scratch (one of) 4 disks not packed well than 1 DVD that is just placed well...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

This is silly.  A DVD is just as scratchable as a CD and a CD is as scratchable as a DVD.  If you have a huge scratch on a DVD yes there info on it will be screwed.  The same would be true if you have a huge scratch on a CD.  Scratchings is a lame arse argument against DVDs since both mediums are equally screwed if they get scratched and both can be easily scratched if you aren't careful with your discs.  >_<

Or if somehow your Xbox scratched Jedi Academy (It was one straight, deep line) and you have no clue why and it never does it again.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

This is silly.  A DVD is just as scratchable as a CD and a CD is as scratchable as a DVD.  If you have a huge scratch on a DVD yes there info on it will be screwed.  The same would be true if you have a huge scratch on a CD.  Scratchings is a lame arse argument against DVDs since both mediums are equally screwed if they get scratched and both can be easily scratched if you aren't careful with your discs.  >_<

Not in my experience.

"If this was a serious post... "

Deadly seriously. I'm with Darque. I have a DVD drive... and, enver bother to use it. If given a chocie between DVD and CD, CD anytime. That said, I'm sure I'll be brainwashed eventually into using the DVD drive.

You're weird. >_<

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.