DVD vs CD

I just bought Dreamfall and it has six installation CDs. Why not one DVD? What is the problem with that, more like where is the logic of publishers and stores not having games in DVD format? Any modern computer has a DVD-ROM drive so what gives?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

I just bought Dreamfall and it has six installation CDs. Why not one DVD? What is the problem with that, more like where is the logic of publishers and stores not having games in DVD format? Any modern computer has a DVD-ROM drive so what gives?

I guese mine isn't very modern... :(

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

I agree, DVD's have been standard on computers for the last four years. That's enough time to expect consumers to upgrade their PC. Chances are, if the consumer still has a basic CD player, they don't have the ability to run the game anyways.

Blame Wall-mart

Anyways outside of the USA we do get those nice DVD's... Hmmm... ancient, ancient folks :("

Hell; most games force you to use DVD... like Oblivion, DX:IW, Fahrenheit etc.

Edited by Hassat Hunter

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Hell, my computer has a DVD Burner and it costed $500. CDs, like 56k modems, are ancient past. Any game that requires to be on 4 or more CDs needs to be on DVD. Its not like DVD ROMs are expensive. $40 can get you a decent DVD ROM.

Edited by Judge Hades

DVD-drives can run CD's just fine... there is NO reason why one should keep a CD-one when they can purchase a DVD... :(

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

People who don't have a DVD player likely either A) just haven't gotten around to getting one yet because nothing has 'forced' them to, B) use their PC for nothing but email and don't give a hoot (my mother).

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

People who don't have a DVD player likely either A) just haven't gotten around to getting one yet because nothing has 'forced' them to,  B) use their PC for nothing but email and don't give a hoot (my mother).

In othere words, not gamers.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Yup. So why release games in CD-format... I have no idea

Lack of common sense we do have here in Europe? :("

^

People who don't have a DVD player likely either A) just haven't gotten around to getting one yet because nothing has 'forced' them to,  B) use their PC for nothing but email and don't give a hoot (my mother).

Wouldn't those in group B also be part of group A?

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

Exactomundo to quote the Doctor.

A gamer worth their salt would have a DVD ROM.

Oh that hurts :(

DVD-ROM drive: $18.99

DVD+/-RW drive: $31.99

I don't see any logic behind not getting one.

(w00t) Now only if my games were on DVDs...

Edited by Craigboy2

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

DVD drives on computers are for wussies. I actually have one; but I don't use it. It's evil... at least until I bother to start using it.

Only lazy people who cna't manage installing 6 CDs are so desperate for DVD to actually be normal. Or, nature lovers who love animals more than people as well..

These are usually the same people who are anti game manuals, and deseve to be ignored. :)

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I don't think so.

At least not in my experience.

With respect to reading scratched CDs, my DVD player does a better job than my CD-RW....but those are CDs.

Edited by alanschu