Good Thrash Metal Bands

Alright, I know a number of us have talked about metal bands of late.

Let me explain my motivation--I am compiling a rather large mp3 playlist of nothing but metal.

I have:

* all the "extreme metal" I need (including death, black and jazz-influenced stuff).

* all the Power Metal I need (the Blind Guardians and Judas Priests of the world).

I also have some thrash: Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, Metal Church, Megadeth.

Thrash is my favorite (although Power Metal runs a close second) and I want to find any gems out there that may pass just under the radar screen.

Any suggestions?

Somehow I have hard time trying to remember bands that play good thrash and do not sing in Finnish. Must be because it's 2:35 here.

Well, you could try Destruction, or Behemoth. Death-thrash, but who cares. Then there's Mastodon, that's borderline thrash and Yakuza that's borderline jazz. Just hook up with some metal fora and ask stuff there. They'll give you a much better intro to thrash. Hell, you might even get to watch a flamewar.

DRAGONFORCE!!! :D

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'll ask Baley.

Edit: Yeah, I said I suck at remembering bands:

The grand old man of thrash, Kreator. Pantera and Sodom. Voivod. Celtic Frost and Venom for old times sake. And Bathory started as thrash before going all viking. Some say the vikingy bits were still thrash. Exodus, Mot

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Thrash/Power sounds like the most unsuccesful hybrid ever, but whatever. I haven't heard much of IE.

Sepulture are a mixed pack. Some say the albums before Chaos AD were the thrashiest. Other say it was the other way around. Some argue that everything sucked after Calavera left. I dunno.

Soulfly is ok too.

kirottu said:

Machine Head

Only get first album and Ashes of Empires. Everything else is neuemettuhl.

And Plano, I'll look into Iced Earth.

kirottu said:

And it's totally not thrash metal, but try to find albums from a band called Eternal Tears of Sorrow(ETOS). They are awesome. And only mildly gothy, even though the name is horrid. Chaotic Beauty, A Virgin and a Whore plus Before the Bleeding Sun are the best albums, although Vilda Mannu is okayish.

Just promoting 'cos I can.

kirottu said:

Aside from the most obvious Slayer and others already mentioned above, i would heavily recommend Vio-lence. The lead-guitarist later formed Machine Head.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Alright, I know a number of us have talked about metal bands of late.

Let me explain my motivation--I am compiling a rather large mp3 playlist of nothing but metal.

I have:

* all the "extreme metal" I need (including death, black and jazz-influenced stuff).

* all the Power Metal I need (the Blind Guardians and Judas Priests of the world).

I also have some thrash: Metallica, Anthrax, Testament, Metal Church, Megadeth.

Thrash is my favorite (although Power Metal runs a close second) and I want to find any gems out there that may pass just under the radar screen.

Any suggestions?

You're so reported to the RIAA, what are you thinking, stealing food from the mouths of the musician's kids! For shame. :'(

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

>>You're so reported to the RIAA, what are you thinking, stealing food from the mouths of the musician's kids! For shame. :'( <<

Ha! Just for the record, I generally rip my own mp3s based on albums (and compilations!) that I buy.

ripping mp3s for your own use is perfectly legal.

Dude, I pirate everything I don't want to support.

kirottu said:

Dude, I pirate everything I don't want to support.

there is an interesting middle ground: used cd shops.

sure, you don't get full value but you can recycle your not-frequently-used cds to some extent.

I just don't like the idea of peer-to-peer piracy (and I don't like spyware and such either).

I live in a local second hand cd/comic/game/book-shoppe. Well, not live, but you get the idea. Most of my music comes from there. I only venture to a real store, when there's somehting out I'm very excited about and wish to show support to the authors.

kirottu said:

I don't like Mot

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said: