Ancient games... New computers

Witness the power of the internets:

LINK

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I remember Grim Fandango, which is hardly ancient had a similar issue in the forklift/elevator puzzle.  Why would devs programme timing such that it depends on the computer's speed?

I don't really have time to explain this in depth, fact is all games use a time based method, for animation etc...

Proper programming dictates that you would attempt to limit the FPS to a reasonable limit cause'in the program to sleep if that limit is overshot.

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Deciding not to play arguably the definitive adventure game for PC?

I hearby strip you of the rank of "PC Gamer" and demote you to chump.

Sorry, it had to be done :ermm:

It's too bad it wasn't a popular seller, but that seems to be par for the course for most adventure games. It's style and humour is just too much fun though.

The way they integrated mexican day of the dead stuff with the whole noir 1930s aesthetics was what impressed me most. It was also one of the first games where I really felt attached to the characters.

It's still the best adventure game I've ever played.

The only problem it had was the interface.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I remember reading a lot of good things about G. Fandango...but never bought it, not my type of game really.

And I think I'm one of the few who doesn't generally mind that old games run faster. Guess I don't play games that are really affected much...even stuff like DK1, the extra speed doesn't bother me at all. The imps run a little faster and are harder to grab, that's it. I get used to it and then it seems normal. Doom1 was a little hard to control the view-swing but still fine.

But I don't play any ancient side-scrollers or anything.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

One of my teachers when I was at school worked on a Pirates game (it was like the discovery pirates) back in the day. You can't run it now because the ship moves so fast you can't control it.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

But that's why I still have the old P1 266mhz computer for.  :(

I don't know if it even works still, have not used it in years.

P1 266 MHz for Ultima 2 would be way overkill to the point of being unplayable ;)

Even a 286 at 12 MHz would be overkill, though probably playable (probably better to turn off "Turbo Mode" so it runs underclocked).

DOSBox is very useful for getting those old games to run slowly enough that you can actually play them without going directly from start of game to dead before the monitor can even refresh.

-Kasoroth

I remember having that happen to me in Ultima VII.

On the plus side, a game like Ultima VI had "time only moves when you perform an action" which made playing it on a faster computer easier to do (but be damned if you saw where that crossbow bolt came from).