Ancient games... New computers

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Its what I use with all my ancient games, nothing Ive tried this far have failed to run. And its got commands to slow games down.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

Its what I use with all my ancient games, nothing Ive tried this far have failed to run. And its got  commands to slow games down.

tie fighter collectors cd rom?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I think DR wa referring to Kaftan's link. Which is a good one, I'll bookmark it...even tho at this time I have nothing that requires it. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think DR wa referring to Kaftan's link. Which is a good one, I'll bookmark it...even tho at this time I have nothing that requires it. :D

Just checked the link... oh goodness :)

I wonder if that'd let me play Starflight and Starflight 2 again :)

The problem I've run into with some games is the USB joystick. Older DOS games can't relate to it, and it's almost impossible to find a gameport version any more. (Wing Commander in particular; I haven't even attempted it in DosBox--that's what my 500 Pentium is for.) And even a 166 Pentium is too fast for WC1 and 2 without Mo-slo.

I remember Grim Fandango, which is hardly ancient had a similar issue in the forklift/elevator puzzle. Why would devs programme timing such that it depends on the computer's speed?

Because back then nobody had thought about this issue much. Besides, there was Turbo button. :)

Not sure about Grim Fandango though.

I remember Grim Fandango, which is hardly ancient had a similar issue in the forklift/elevator puzzle.  Why would devs programme timing such that it depends on the computer's speed?

I just played through GF on my WinXP machine (2400+) and didn't notice a problem with that particular puzzle. A couple places I had to use a gamepad to navigate, though.

They don't make games like GrimFandango anymore.

:p

Sadness.

I've gotten leery of buying new titles; don't play MMORPG, and dislike button-mashing action sequences (in an adventure game? Come on!). Until NWN2 comes out, I'm just watching and not buying. I'm hoping developers get off that kick--stop trying to be so 'innovative' or copycat someone's weird idea that just happened to sell. But if not ... I have a ton of great games that deserve a replay. And for their sake alone I'm even more reluctant to upgrade hardware.

It was a sad day when Lucasarts had its corporate restructuring and gained its new president. I don't think it's any coincidence they've produced tripe since. Kind of like Blackisle after 'the event'. After that everything they brought out was crap.

I have this theory, that it's basically because talented people can do whatever they like - writing, music, art, the list goes on. Most probably decided to work on computer games as a quirky hobby. Therefore when they get badly treated they're quick to move on. By that reasoning, the only talented people that will remain in computer game production are programmers.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Can't say I ever heard of it.

:lol:

Are you actually a PC gamer?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

:lol:

My first game was Diablo which I bought when it was first released, my second was BG1 when it was first released. Fallout third I think. I was stuck on those for a long time and never paid much attention to other games. I will assume GrimFandango was released during or before this time?

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

1998 I think, so yeah.

Heja Sverige!!

Back in the day I would usually stick to playing around with a certain series and never bothered reading up or buying other games outside my little circle. Only after IWD2 came out did I explore other games. I missed so many over the years that I hear about being good. I was not much of a gamer back then like I am now. :lol:

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

The latest of good LA-adventures... *sigh* good old Adventure times...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Oh, c'mon!

It's the best adventure game I've ever played, so just go get it!

Edited by Soulseeker

Heja Sverige!!