starting early

rokor

im in 7th grade an i really want to become a game designer...any advice...i really want to starearly so i have a headstart when i get older and start making games for big time....any sites or advice u guys could give me on wat to do to get started...any hands on activity's in game design to help me understand(i hate reading i just want to get out there and start)

stealthsig96zx.jpg

Get games with toolsystems and work on them. NWN 1, Morrowind, and Oblivion for now, then NWN 2 when it is released. They are good starting points I think.

Take classes that exercise creative thinking such as art and creative writing as well.

Edited by Judge Hades

Pick a modding scene and stick with it.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

replying to judge hades comment...i do have morrowind and that stuff but i try to figure it out and i cant....so should i just try to work at it still?????

stealthsig96zx.jpg

I would start with Neverwinter Nights and assumely Neverwinter Nights 2. The NWN Tool Set is more noobie and user friendly. www.nwvault.com has some good tutorials for the NWN 1 tool set. There are tutorials one can find for the TES tools set, but they are far less user friendly than the one in NWN. Just head to the Elderscrolls forums and ask around.

Edited by Judge Hades

I agree with Hades, NVN is a nice editor to try learning with since it since it is based off of a modular building system, and the event scripting for it is fairly easy.

Morrowind and Oblivion have downloadable editors. If you want to learn how to edit with either of these check out www.elderscrolls.com and check the forums for editor and mod help.

Then there are the FPS games with editors, many of which liscence out their engines to game companies to use to make games with. Some of the most prominent are Doom 3 or Quake 4, Unreal Tournament 2004, and Half-Life 2.

There are large modding communities for pretty much any game that can be edited.

Asides from editors, I would suggest starting to learn other skill sets that are part of making video games.

Image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, 3D modelling and animation software such as 3ds Max. Scripting languages such as C++, Java, etc.

Things that you could take in school that I see as beneficial are classes such as creative writing and art classes, however the more you know about as many things as possible, the better, since all knowledge enriches you and gives you a greater resource pool to pull from when designing games.

Rokor, I mean this with all sincerity. If you really want to be a professional in the game industry, you need to start using English in its proper form. If you are in a foreign country, then I apologize, but the advice is still warranted. It may seem like game design and Language Arts are not related, but it's difficult to advance in most industries if you cannot compose a professional email.

Honestly Rokor, it is hard to hear that you dislike reading, because that is the easiest way to improve your grammar. When you post on these boards, I can tell you are in 7th grade. I really recommend finding something you enjoy reading. It can be comic books, books based on games, or even magazines. Anything written by professional writers will go a long way to making you a better writer.

Eventually you will even be able to mask the fact that you are in 7th grade. Being a professional starts with presenting youself as such. You can begin today by spending a bit more time on your posts.

Complete a design document (you can find help with this on google, like anything else), practice writing, play lots of games and get a very clear idea of what you do and do not like and what you think does and does not work in various types of games, etc. Just keep in mind that you won't be head of the team right out of college, no matter how early you start. If you want to make games, make sure you're ok with making someone else's game before you get to make your own.

so basically you guys are saying that i need to work on my grammar....and i need to play lots of games and do game editors....one problem is that i only have the morrowind collenction of construction sets ..me and my family dont have enough money just to go out and buy stuff right now....and i cant play lots of games because well we dont have the money to get the games....if u guys have any advice on how to get lessons or something online that would really be a help.

stealthsig96zx.jpg

I'm not sure how old 7th grade is, but if that's over 12/13, then you should be able to get a part-time job. It's not that hard to do one, even a simple one like newspapers, then save up to buy a game (or toolset guides, although if you spend time looking you can find good ones online). So for example, you could buy the original Neverwinter Nights, which will be very cheap right now. You don't need the latest game if you are just starting to learn to mod / make games: NWN1 will serve you very well, and it won't be too expensive. And places like nwvault has great guides because people have worked on the game for such a long time.

That's the practical, programming side. Later on, when you have learnt to use these tools, you might find that your stories are not very interesting, or people don't seem to have fun playng your modules. For building up your creative side, it's not finding "guides" and learning "lessons", it's more like playing lots of games, reading books, watching films that all enhance your literary instinct.

Ultimately, though, if you're persistent, then it will work out.

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to get into design (creating the game stories and whatnot), I'd suggest reading and playing video games. In fact, doing anything that has some sort of creative medium to it helps as well. Try to do things to keep the imagination going. Try writing stories or drawing pictures.

If you're more into the programming, see if you can get your parents to get you a beginner programming book, and just chug away through it. It'll be a little slow going at first, but you'll know right away if programming is for you IMO, because doing little things that really aren't that significant will make you go "COOL!" and whatnot.

Reading, writing and math.

Go to school, get good grades. Improve your writing skills.

Go to college for game design, or writing, learn some programming language(s), but only after you have learned english(assuming that is your native tongue).

Game Design is a job, like any other job. Approach it like you would any other job.

Within the design field there are several sub-catagories for you to apply. Level design, quest design, story design, technical design, etc... You need to know how to do them all, but you need to really excel in at least one.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with these toolbags and tell you NOT to play lots of games right now. Go do your homework and get good grades. AFTER you've finished your homework, then play games.

It's important to note as you play the games what is good and bad. What feels natural or intuitive versus what isn't.

Most of all you need to improve your writing skills before you pursue a career in game design. Written and oral communication are a must in any field, but ESPECIALLY for a job that entails a lot of writing.

Edited by Shadowstrider

At the same age I was pretty much the same, but then, much later, I realised that I was useless at programing, but that 3D modeling and animation both came 'easily' to me, and were very enjoyable.

What i'm trying to say is that you should identify your talents, and what you *really* enjoy, and hit them like the fist of an angry god. If this isn't coming to you 'naturally' even at this age, then it would lead me to belive that it's more of a 'I like computer games, so I want to make them!' kind of thing. I was the same.

To do such a thing really needs a passion for it on many levels, so what i'm also trying to say is that the first step to doing this is to find out if you REALLY want to do it, which will likely become obvious somewhere between the age 16 and 18.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I don't usually post here, but what Shadowstrider and few others have said makes much sense. Sometimes, we think we know what we want, then when what looks like uncontrollable passion simmers down to a relative level, we begin to see our own problems without fearing what they bring. Above all, trust your own feelings in whatever you do. That's what I know for me.

Edited by vaxen83

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Nice,thanks to all of you. I am really glad that so many people stepped forth and helped me. I am trying everything you guys have been telling me,and enjoying most of it(not reading). As most of you said though,it requires reading,and i really want to get into game and graphics design. Anyway thank you guys so much. It really means a lot. :D

stealthsig96zx.jpg