J.E. Sawyer designer interview

Rhomal

Strauss pokes around the brain that is NWN 2 Lead Designer J.E. on where hes been, whats he's doing and where he sees CRPG's heading. Here is a snip:

How do you feel that the market for CRPG's have changed, have they become more popular as action-based games, or is the market loosing a group, by favoring elements more prevalent in the FPS genre?

CRPGs are losing some of the more hardcore folks because the games are moving away from catering to hardcore RPG tastes. Some hardcore players stay because they see appeal in the new games coming along, but plenty just get fed up and leave. On the flip side, we have a lot more people getting into immersive RPGs like Oblivion. Oblivion isn't a simple game, but if you go into it expecting mechanics like the character stat-driven systems in Fallout, you're not going to be happy.

But hey, people are stampeding in droves to sing the praises of Oblivion, so I doubt Bethesda employees are crying themselves to sleep on their pillows stuffed with $100 bills.

http://www.nwn2news.net/modules/smartsecti...m.php?itemid=45

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

What feature excites you the most in NWN2?

It's definitely the toolset. I look forward to the game wrapping up so I can design some decidedly nub-unfriendly modules. Want a tutorial? TOO BAD!

You die under the blades of a dozen Red Plumes!

Good times.

^_^

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

It's sad to hear some of his responses concerning crpg's, but it's expected. Also I'm glad to see an interview with some different questions, rather than the same how is the toolset, et cetera... Good job ;)

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

You work for Bethesda now?

There are no doors in Jefferson that are "special game locked" doors. There are no characters in that game that you can kill that will result in the game ending prematurely.

It's Baator, you daft. Nine hells, man.

Shadowfax, how long have you been working for Beth?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

What the hell is all this pillow talk? ahahaha. Actually, I can see stuffing my pillow full of bricks, but only so I can beat on some of you guys.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm hoping the tutorial is like the one for KotOR2. That really helped set the mood. As for the other stuff, I'm hopeful enough to buy the game, but that's because I'm an eternal optimist. After all, we've just learned that NWN2 will have cows.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!