ATI Radeon X1300

So I thought the store still had some ge6800's on the shelf, but nope....didn't want the 6600, so I looked at the ATI's. I know nothing about them and the youthful salesguy (who plays Oblivion, haha) said the X1300 was probably close to the 6800 in comparison (AGP terms). Being an impatient soul I brought it home.

Before I open the box thought I'd ask the geeks here....was I stupid, or will this card work until I upgrade to a PCIE setup in a year or two? lol

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So I thought the store still had some ge6800's on the shelf, but nope....didn't want the 6600, so I looked at the ATI's. I know nothing about them and the youthful salesguy (who plays Oblivion, haha) said the X1300 was probably close to the 6800 in comparison  (AGP terms). Being an impatient soul I brought it home.

Before I open the box thought I'd ask the geeks here....was I stupid, or will this card work until I upgrade to a PCIE setup in a year or two? lol

I thought the X800XL was the 6800 equivalent?

I have one. Very solid card.

It's showing age though... :(

But those are $100 more, at least in the store. I don't buy on-line. :( I guess I'm wondering if it's worth that much more to get the higher number if you're going to upgrade in a year or year and a half anyway. (edit) will I at least notice a noticiable improvement over my 6200? I suppose that's the most important thing to me, since that's why I bought one...

...and yes I can easily go back to the store and return or exchange it.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

it's not an all in wonder...but it's not a 'pro' either, just says X1300.

Bloody cards and all their titles, it's confusing. I'm looking at Toms Hardware website right now. They say the Sapphire Radeon X1600 Pro AGP is $150ish online, which irritates me.

I guess it looks like I should return it and wade thru traffic to go to Fry's. Bah.

Oh...I considered a ge7800GS but I thought I read some big debates on that one here vs. the 6800, or something...

Heh, know you're gonna hate to hear it, but you really, really, really need to make sure you look up information on video cards before buying. I made the mistake of buying an FX 5200 a few years back because it was there, and the box seemed to indicate it was fully capable of running K1 in ultra sexy detail.

I was wrong...waste of a $125. :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

It's an AGP slot, my mobo doesn't support PCIE. I guess that ge one is pcie?

And LoneWolf, I know, I'm not usually quite that impulsive, but that stores close so I figured either it would be ok and I'd install or it'd suck and I'd go out again. I didn't want to go home just to reasearch and go back again to buy if it turned out it was ok. I'm weird that way.

Edited by LadyCrimson

I can see why people like the ATI's in general beyond performance. They seem generally cheaper. I'd still rather have the nivida tho, I'm used to them. Well, hubby probably won't like the price tag for a vanity item but oh well, too bad. Thanks hades that did help.

I think my power supply is pretty 'standard' or slightly above - I'd have to look. It's not superpowered tho.

Why I don't shop on-line...you can't buy, try/change your mind, return, and buy something else all in 4 hours.

I went with the ge7800GS. The X850Pro had a nicer price tag but I'm still convinced ATI still has more compatiability w/game issues from reading all the game-tech help forum sections. :blink:

The upgrade will also help my digital photography and such, but if I put this in and Oblivion still chugs badly on middling 1280 settings I'm going to be really PO'd.

:angry:

I went with the ge7800GS.

That's an excellent card Lady. The X1300 is a low-end card targeted at basic PCs, and is comparable to a GeForce 7300. The person who was telling you that it is comparable to a 6800 didn't know what they were talking about, really.

Oh, there's an equal possibility that he just wanted to make the sale and knew the details.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Oblivion still chugs badly on middling 1280 settings I'm going to be really PO'd.

:angry:

Unfortunately if your system is still leaves something to be desired, you'll have a bottleneck, regardless of your new card.

I must be really behind in the times or something though. I still think of 1280x1024 as an excessive resolution setting, with 1024x768(what I always use) being good or better than average.

Edited by StillLife

The rest of my system is fine...not the fastest hardware, but fine. (P4-3ghz/2RAM etc).

I installed the card and it won't initialize, making a high pitched single tone (not beeps). So either it's broken out of the box or the no-longer-current motherboard is somehow not compatabile with it. Is there anyway/site to find out if a specific mobo has a problem with certain cards? And yes I'm irritated now.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Did you make sure you plugged in the power supply? What standard is your AGP? It would really suck if your motherboard didn't support the new card! Keep us posted.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yeah, plugged in and all that...board supposed to support up to AGP4 I think, if that's what you mean by standard.

I'm looking for the MB drivers and such, maybe they need updating.

Yeah, plugged in and all that...board supposed to support up to AGP4 I think, if that's what you mean by standard.

Just making sure... you did plug in the auxiliary power socket right? You wouldn't have had this on your 6200.

14130274042wi.th.jpg

Edited by angshuman

That's what I was thinking...it's a wire from the power supply that plugs directly into the card at the plug in at the bottom right of that pic.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast