"Save the internet."

Shadowstrider

Don't buy into that hype. You're not really "saving the internet" or "keeping it free." All you're really doing is giving your ISP the ability to charge for both ends of the internet, logging on and end access.

http://americablog.blogspot.com/2006/05/net-neutrality.html

http://www.savetheinternet.com/

http://www.dontregulate.org/

Josh Silver has this to say.

"Save the internet" is a buzz word used to generate hype for a cause that actually hurts the internet.

Don't take my word for it. Click the links and do your own research, but when the telecom industry, the industry you pay to access the internet, is preaching "Save the internet" it requires more than a casual glance.

/PSA

I wasn' aware the internet was in need of saving.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Every time I see something like this, all I can think is how much the internet has changed in 20 years.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

So... who is the evil lying bastards here? Is it the "dont let the goverment regulate" guys or the "legislated net neutrality is a must to keep companies from ganging up with ISPs"

Im quite confused.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I am also confused.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ah, what the hell.. Im just going to take the side of the "We have to keep COMPANY X from paying off your ISP to block the website of COMPANY Y" guys.

because In the words of the great Stephen Colbert: "Its better to believe in something that is completely wrong, than to seem undecided. Because being undecided-ish is bad PR."

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I do not know this Stephen Colbert, but I'm guessing he is a key Whitehouse aide.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

So...  who is the evil lying bastards here? Is it the "dont let the goverment regulate" guys or the "legislated net neutrality is a must to keep companies from ganging up with ISPs"

Im quite confused.

That's the problem, there are no good guys, but the Telecom industry is most assuredly the bad guys. They basically want us to pay for them to make money. The "Save the internet" link is the telecom guys.

That's the problem, there are no good guys, but the Telecom industry is most assuredly the bad guys.  They basically want us to pay for them to make money.  The "Save the internet" link is the telecom guys.

Right I get that now, the telecoms companies want more control of the internet.

But erm SaveTheInternet.com seems to be anti telco....

Don'tregulate.org is obviously pro telco.

Yeah the article was the first thing i read. It was your error that had me confused.

So other than the "no regulation" thing, on what grounds are the telcos trying to come across as the good guys? Even without the counter arguments it seems like racketeering on their part.

The telecom companies are basically trying to say "we're trying to IMPROVE the internet, by providing you, the end user, with the best services, and using the money made to make the internet faster."

The knee-jerk reaction from everyone on the issue is "get your government off my internets!" That is where the big problem lies.

The problem with posting at work is you type off the cuff and make lots of errs.

Yes! We must protect our rights for free Goatse!

Long live Goatse! Save the Internet!

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds