Wow, because it worked in N.Korea!!

kumquatq3

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060516/ap_on_...ea/iran_nuclear

VIENNA, Austria - Key European nations are considering offering    Iran a light-water nuclear reactor as part of incentives meant to persuade Tehran to give up its uranium enrichment program, a senior diplomat said Tuesday.

But a U.S. official said Washington would likely oppose the plan.

A senior diplomat familiar with international attempts to dissuade Iran from enrichment said the tentative plans still were being discussed among France, Britain and Germany as part of a possible package to be presented Friday to senior representatives of the five

Diplomacy isn't exhausted, but it is unlikely to succeed at this point in my mind, but if it ultimately fails.....

sanctions, sanctions, sanctions

If Russia and China won't, battleship diplomacy, then war.

Otherwise you will be going through this every time some country makes a run for the bomb, and if N.Korea has taught us anything, it's appeasement and IAEA monitering don't work.

I've seen so many conflicting arguments on this topic, my head is beginning to water. :(

I'm going to indulge in complete fantasy and pretend Iran is simply perpetrating an elaborate hoax to mask its preparations fora surprise birthday party ...for me! :D

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

It's not yet ...sheesh, give the poor fellahs a little time, willya?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yeeeeees... we COULD spend our money on de-desertification projects and education. BUt instead we'll spend it on luxury hotels. Genius!

-Elwood Blues

Oh and everyone should be entitled to nuclear missiles, to defend themselves from the King of England.

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

You guys should just be happy about all this like me.

<sings>

There's rioting in Africa

<whistles>.

There's starving in Spain.

<whistles>

There's hurricanes in Florida.

<whistles>

And Texas needs rain.

<whistles>

The whole world is festering with unhappy souls.

The French hate the Germans.

The Germans hate the Poles.

Italians hate Yugoslavs.

South Africans hate the Dutch and I don't like anybody very much!

But we can be tranquil and thankful and proud for man's been endowed with a mushroom shaped cloud.

And we know for certain that some lovely day someone will set the spark off and we will all be blown away.

They're rioting in Africa.

<whistles>

There's strife in Iran.

<whistles>

What nature doesn't do to us.

<whistles>

Will be done by our fellow man.

Edited by Fenghuang

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

The US doesn't have the internationl pull or military dominance to engage in a land war with Iran (Iraq should've made that clear enough). What we do have is first strike capability to take out their nuclear facilities. That's the most likely recourse, if it comes down to military.

Btw, battleship diplomacy doesn't work for jack **** if you're going up against Russia AND China on their own turf. The US pacific fleet would be destroyed by shore missiles and any attempt at retaliation with nukes would result in WW 3 and Fallout.

you'd be going against this each time...

Damn right you will. The problem you're posing is that the US is losing its ability to control the globe through force. Nothing you can do about that except 1) forcibly subjugate the entire globe to your empire, which will never work as a long term solution unless you kill everyone or 2) back off and let other nations do as they will, since who are you to tell them whether they can have nuclear weapons?

Edited by Azarkon

There are doors

Well, you see, I've got this whole thing where I want to live to see tomorrow...

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

so what if iran gets nuclear weapons. do anyone honestly think they would use them in a first strike attack?

If you mean Iran won't declare war on Isreal and then launch their entire nuclear arsenal against them and their allies without being attacked first, then I would agree that it is pretty unlikely.

However, I do think they would use them as a bargaining chip to get what they want and possibly sell weapons to terrorist groups.

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

Yeah it does. It ends when you die...and I don't know about you, but there's quite a bit I'd still like to do and see before kicking off due to a nuclear catastrophe. That, and sunrises never get old.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Btw, battleship diplomacy doesn't work for jack **** if you're going up against Russia AND China on their own turf.  The US pacific fleet would be destroyed by shore missiles and any attempt at retaliation with nukes would result in WW 3 and Fallout.

back off and let other nations do as they will, since who are you to tell them whether they can have nuclear weapons?

1. I never said invade China and Russia

btw, you underestimate our air dominace.

2. Who are we to say they can't have nukes? Just one country I guess. But the UN said they can't too.

Lets unleash all the nukes in the world upon ourselves and let it be done with.

After you!

Seriously, you are advocating an isolationalist policy AND a unilateral ELE forced-termination policy.

Simultaneously. :-

Okay, maybe this is more appropriate for you ... o:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Good God, Arkazon. This topic had nothing to do with the awful USA, frankly. I realize it's your favorite subject, but let's not derail everything into the same-old, same-old, m'kay? :)

That said, you'd think the Europeans suggesting this lame-brained bribe would at least take into consideration what happened the last time such a lame-brained bribe was offered:

Korea threatens to implement its own nuclear weapons program; international community (led by the incredibly stupid USA) says, "no, no, you promise not to do that and we will give you free nuclear reactors!"; Korea says if the USA also gives us a potload of food and free fuel, it's a deal. A few years later, Korea announces to the world, "Ho-ho, we lied! Now we have free nuclear reactors, free food, free fuel AND nuclear weapons! And if you try to take our free food and free fuel away, we will blow up Japan!"

Well, that went swimmingly. So naturally the Europeans want to try it again with Iran! :(

Trying to shove the nuclear genie back into the bottle won't ever work. Neither the UN, the USA or the Europeans have a right to tell any country that they cannot research their own nuclear technology. It's not only hypocritical, but it's expensive and as we've repeatedly seen, it doesn't work.

Edited by ~Di