I am in desperate need of technical advice

roshan

This is something that has been driving me nuts for a LONG time.

I have icons on my desktop, and the problem is that windows always shows a background for the text of the icon. This looks really ugly when I have walppapers on because there are little black text boxes blocking my wallpaper.

How do I get it to just show the text with no background? And how can I change the colour of the text of the icons on my desktop?

Yeah from what I can remember mine didnt have the boxes when I installed it. But some time ago the boxes appeared and I havent been able to get rid of them since.

Ive just made my own theme for windows, and ive adjusted pretty much everything in the advanced properties.

I can change the font on icon, but this affects all the icons, including windows explorer and the desktop, which is fine by me.

However, I cant adjust the colour of the font or the background under icon because both these options are greyed out.

I can adjust the color of the font of the font settings in windows explorer by adjusting the font settings under the window menu. But sadly this has no effect on the icons in the desktop.

Edited by roshan

r-click my computer, click properties, click advanced/performance/visual effects - down at the bottom of the check list, check the "use drop shadows on windows and buttons"

if it's already checked, dunno.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

It maybe a good program/mod/whatever you call it, but maybe he doesn't want yet another 3rd party program just for one simple visual function he wants. :p

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Aw, don't get snappy. It's a good organizational tool too. Remembers where you've got your icons set to and replaces them if they get moved from games/resolution changes/whatever.

It just has all the things he's trying to mess with in one place and it's simpler than messing with them manually. Think smarter not harder. :blink:

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

It's not snappy...just options. Listing just a program as the solution doesn't tell him how to do it via XP.... :blink: Maybe he'd like to know how to do it in Windows alone, regardless...so I told him. :D

Waste of time is subjective...to me it's a waste of time and resources to get a program if I'll never use it for anything but one thing that Windows can do anyway...but if you like the program and want all its features, that's great, maybe others will too....either the guy will do it XP way or try your program, or both, who cares? heh

r-click my computer, click properties, click advanced/performance/visual effects - down at the bottom of the check list, check the "use drop shadows on windows and buttons"

if it's already checked, dunno.

Its already checked. I suppose Ill have to try Iconoid then...

Maybe something else you have checked/another setting is conflicting. I have Windows Classic 'style' and everything unchecked (in that list) except for that one, and it works for me.