Top Ten with Chris Avellone

Fionavar

Since the Top Ten is now underway and I know that Feargus is continuing to prepare more answers, I thought we could move on to the brainstorm for the following Top Ten ... and this time it will be with Chris Avellone!!! Chris has kindly offered the following as a way of intro for those who may not know him as well as Feargus:

I'm Chris Avellone, I used to be a junior/int./senior/lead designer at Black Isle before I came over to Obsidian, where I became a combination Creative Director, Lead Designer, and Senior Designer. I was lead on Knights of the Old Republic II, and then transferred over to Neverwinter Nights 2 when K2 was finished to work mostly on the creative and scripting aspects of the companions and their interactions with the player. We're porting over some of the elements of the influence system from Knights of the Old Republic II, but trying to polish it more in this iteration - we couldn't take it in exactly the same direction as KotorII because of story and genre considerations.

Whatever folks want to ask is fine, fire away.

So here again is the format that we will follow (note there have been some adjustments owing to the learning from the first Top Ten):

1) A thread will be stuck in the Developers' Corner that will encourage the community to post questions/items that you would like Chris to address. As a suggestion, I would offer that the question should be as succinct and pithy as possible - a suggested format would be:

Question: How do you balance the needs of a new designn house and the energy that comes with such a fresh venture with the tension/reality of having to rely on the financial/resources of such influential companies as Lucas & Atari?

2) This thread will remain open for 4-7 days. As this process proceeds, it should be understood that this particular feature will be keenly watched for SPAM and trolling. Though we moderate these fora with a high level of tolerance

The universe is change;
your life is what our thoughts make it
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

:dragon:

[Query:]

With the influence system (in Kotor2) alot of people instead of just roleplaying the system started to meta-game the system in order to get the most background/XP/bonusses from them and to "jedify" them as fast as possible. Is there any alteration done to the NWN2 Influence system to have people more focus on the roleplaying aspect of the influence system or is meta-gaming the system not seen as flaw and still included to do?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Question: We know there are romances in NWN2. We know there are dwarve(s) as npc companions in NWN2. Will NWN2 be the first D&D game (that I know of) that allows one to romance (female) dwarf npc companions?

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Another question;

Reading up an old review I noted how there was mention how due to the use of the Infinity engine (painted backgrounds) PS:T could be made how it could never be made with an engine that actually uses 3D backgrounds. Also in the earlier days of PS:T one could get away with a "she kneels down, close her eyes and starts to pray" line; while in these days you have to actually show it...taking it far longer to create an actual scene. So here is the actual question:

Do the modern graphical engines and graphical expectations disallow you from putting as much creativity as you wanted into a game?

(both in term of actual scenes as the using of creative maps/chars/weaponry etc.)

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Question: Of all the games credited to your name so far, which one are you most proud of, and why?

It is Descent to Undermountain, isn't it? Admit it! ADMIT IT!

Edit: Also,

Question: As a designer/writer of game stories, do you ever contemplate over the responsibility you have towards the gaming public in general? Do you ever feel like rebelling against the ESRB and its policy that basically boils down to "violence is ok, natural human relations is not", or are you in total agreement with the current attitude toward computer games?

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

What do you think are the elements that make a great villain/foil for the PCs?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Q: What type of character, or character exploration do you feel is impeded by aiming to avoid M ratings. How would the exact same game with a M rating compare to a T rating from a writing/playing perspective?

Spreading beauty with my katana.

Soft questions:

What influences you today? In what ways are your skills as a designer still evolving?

What would you say is the most important element of a game story? Least important? Feel free to define the elements of a game story as you please.

What's your favorite curse word?

How are you?

How do you think you could improve as a writer and game designer?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Would you like to do the writing for a game that is of a genre other than RPG?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Question:

Do you believe computer games as a medium, will ever enter into the world of art like film has done- or will it always have to remain a form of more or less commercial entertainment? Do you think that perhaps in 10 or 20 years from now, people will be ready for the game equivalents of Bergman or Truffaut?

And would you consider yourself as an artist or a craftsman?

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

While some people have praised the detailed text-centric adventures like Planescape: Torment, others find the hack-and-slash of Diablo to be more satisfying. Which kind of RPG do you prefer: one with emphasis on story or one with emphasis on gameplay/action?

Just a quick reminder that the thread will likely be closed in the next few days, so please feel free to add constructive questions for consideration.

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)

How's this one?

Avellone: if games get an increasingly large slice of the entertainment industry, then the folks who create these games must expect a greater social profile. While that is not yet the case, what impact do you think larger budgets and a more diverse following will have on future developers? Do you see yourself becoming something like the writers, directors, and producers of today's films? ...Or do you see your current status as a computer geek head and shoulders above other geeks as part of your unchanging role. ...Or do you even see yourself as a dying breed of designers who's rarified skills cater to the narrower tatstes of the elite CRPGer?

Is it possible to give new life to CRPGs without leaving the old skool RPGer behind in the past?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to offer their input. The brainstorm is now over and hopefully the mod squad can collate this and have the Chris Avellone thread up by the weekend. Thanks!

The universe is change;
- Marcus Aurelius (161)