Who will win the console war?

Who will win the console war?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the console war?

• Sony's PS3
    • Microsoft's 360
    • Nintendo's Wii

MS needs to just wake up and smell the coffee. Look at that list of most anticipated title's, it's obvious Japanese gamers just have little to no interest in the majority of western games and most likely never will. They have too much loyalty to Japanese businesses to let an American mega-corp like Microsoft potentially dominate what is an important industry there.

I'm pretty skeptical about how much Japan cares about the two Mistwalker titles. Though, nothing new about them was really shown at E3.

Also, isn't Tri-Ace (Star Ocean, Valkyrie Profile) making something being published by Microsoft?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

The interest percentage on the Wii is notable. 68.8% compared to the next one, the PS3, at 20%. That makes sense, since the Wii is intriguing. I wonder how they will do super smash bros. with 4 kids swinging their arms all around while trying to look at the tv.

MS needs to just wake up and smell the coffee.  Look at that list of most anticipated title's, it's obvious Japanese gamers just have little to no interest in the majority of western games and most likely never will.  They have too much loyalty to Japanese businesses to let an American mega-corp like Microsoft potentially dominate what is an important industry there.

So what do you think they should do? Remove the console all together from the market? MS has two rather large titles in the works that will appeal to that market, one of which has been in the top 15 most anticipated since it was announced, Blue Dragon. The Xbox 360 is doing better than the Xbox did, and it's still selling decently for what was expected, especially since there aren't that many games that appeal to most of the market. Enchant Arms and N3 being the two main titles, one of which had several bugs, and the other did a small bit for console sales.

It could just be one of those thing that takes time.

Also might be that they are not getting games that appeal to them... When was the last time a Western RPG (PC or otherwise) got a Japanese release?

Edited by Haitoku

MS needs to just wake up and smell the coffee.  Look at that list of most anticipated title's, it's obvious Japanese gamers just have little to no interest in the majority of western games and most likely never will.  They have too much loyalty to Japanese businesses to let an American mega-corp like Microsoft potentially dominate what is an important industry there.

So what do you think they should do? Remove the console all together from the market?

Pretty much. They should put all of their focus into growing market share in other areas of the world and stop pining for Japan so heavily. MS should treat Japan like a woman they're interested in; don't seem desperate or pushy and let her come around on her own if she wants, but move on in the meantime. :D

Makes me think of that stupid f'ing game that was supposed to be a mock JRPG they put out which I can't even recall the name of, but it bombed horribly. The Xbox needed RPGs pretty severely at the time too. Xbox owners don't want Japanese RPGs or they would've had a PS2 and on the other hand, Japanese gamers don't want fake Japanese games when they can just get the real thing.

If they keep playing to their strengths, Nintendo and Sony might just lose more and more market share in the west which MS will be able to pick up to compensate for lack of appeal in Japan.

MS has two rather large titles in the works that will appeal to that market, one of which has been in the top 15 most anticipated since it was announced, Blue Dragon.  The Xbox 360 is doing better than the Xbox did, and it's still selling decently for what was expected, especially since there aren't that many games that appeal to most of the market.  Enchant Arms and N3 being the two main titles, one of which had several bugs, and the other did a small bit for console sales.

The 360 is also the only next gen(stupid name) platform on the market as of this date. It would be pretty horrendous if it weren't selling better compared to when the Xbox first launched.

If they keep playing to their strengths, Nintendo and Sony might just lose more and more market share in the west which MS will be able to pick up to compensate for lack of appeal in Japan.

I think you are right about this. Not that I agree with pulling the Xbox 360 from Japan, since... People are quiet accepting of Japanese games over here, why can't Japan be accepting of Western games? It will take time I'm sure. Like I pointed out, when was the last time a real western RPG was release over there? Oblvion didn't make it to Japan, right?

The 360 is also the only next gen(stupid name) platform on the market as of this date.  It would be pretty horrendous if it weren't selling better compared to when the Xbox first launched.

"Next-gen" doesn't sell consoles in Japan, the games do. It's a fact that the Xbox 360 has more games that Japan gamers would enjoy than the previous console, and far more games in development and due out this year and in 2007 than the Xbox ever really had. That's why there are more 360's being sold in Japan right now. They aren't a HDTV era region, and the proverbial "graphics whore" isn't a common type there, they want games, and those games in general are different than the types of games most of the rest of the world enjoys.

Microsoft is doing what they need to do, while not blowing their wad on the region. They've invested in a few titles and development houses, are allowing those developers to do their own thing, and are just sitting back and playing a 'waiting game'.

To wish them to pack up their bags, or just ignore the region is silly and a horrible business practice.

I expect the PS3's price to drop within the first three months.

Won't happen.

The only reason it won't happen is if people are buying it, which is a win for Sony.

They can't afford to drop the price, whether the console is selling like hotcakes or not. Too much money has been spent on Cell and Blu-Ray, and they need to use the PS3 as the launching platform, while still trying to minimize their loses. Their only hope is that Blu-Ray takes off - which doesn't have a chance at happening for a few years - and people choose to buy the PS3 as a cheap Blu-Ray player.

It's too expensive for a console, and there's simply too much money invested in its hardware to sell it like a console. That's why Sony execs have been so verbal about it being more than just a "gaming machine". It's a way for a justification of the price to the hardcore gamer/electronics wiz. Until Blu-Ray proves to be the clear cut winner, buying a PS3 for anything other than gaming is rather moot in my opinion.

Edited by 10k fists

I think you are right about this. Not that I agree with pulling the Xbox 360 from Japan, since... People are quiet accepting of Japanese games over here, why can't Japan be accepting of Western games? It will take time I'm sure. Like I pointed out, when was the last time a real western RPG was release over there? Oblvion didn't make it to Japan, right?

Are the japanese even give a chance? Considering the time and money it takes to re-design the menu and everything elsa in katakana and kanji + japanese VO's.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Are the japanese even give a chance? Considering the time and money it takes to re-design the menu and everything elsa in katakana and kanji + japanese VO's.

In a case like Oblivion's, no, they wouldn't be given a chance. Localizing a game like that would require too much of the time and money you mentioned.

Wii by far. ON one hand, they'll win just by the fact that they'll make the most money off of it. And two, Nintendo simply makes the best games. Period. I still play my N64 games. I still play the launch titles of my gamecube. Nintendo has never failed, and I don't think the Wii will be an exception to that. Xbox is just stupid; they push for graphics and a sexy, futuristic appeal and add in tons of useless features and all it does is make a console that costs far too much money and does too many things. Same with PS3. And most of the games are not good at all. Just typical killing games or racing games or whatever. Very little original, entertaining stuff that lasts for six years.

Wii by far.  ON one hand, they'll win just by the fact that they'll make the most money off of it.  And two, Nintendo simply makes the best games.  Period.  I still play my N64 games.  I still play the launch titles of my gamecube.  Nintendo has never failed, and I don't think the Wii will be an exception to that.  Xbox is just stupid; they push for graphics and a sexy, futuristic appeal and add in tons of useless features and all it does is make a console that costs far too much money and does too many things.  Same with PS3.  And most of the games are not good at all.  Just typical killing games or racing games or whatever.  Very little original, entertaining stuff that lasts for six years.

Gamers disagree with you, while you may think their games are the "most fun", the fact that their console sales have been getting lower and lower every generation proves they are on a downward slide. Nintendo no longer holds the attention of the casual gamer, as he's matured way beyond the image that Nintendo portrays.

What useless features does the Xbox employ?

What's useless about the PS3?

Wii by far.  ON one hand, they'll win just by the fact that they'll make the most money off of it.  And two, Nintendo simply makes the best games.  Period.  I still play my N64 games.  I still play the launch titles of my gamecube.  Nintendo has never failed, and I don't think the Wii will be an exception to that.  Xbox is just stupid; they push for graphics and a sexy, futuristic appeal and add in tons of useless features and all it does is make a console that costs far too much money and does too many things.  Same with PS3.  And most of the games are not good at all.  Just typical killing games or racing games or whatever.  Very little original, entertaining stuff that lasts for six years.

Yup, I don't agree.

When was the last time an RPG as massive as Suikoden was released on Nintendo?

When was the last time an game with as much freedom as GTA3 was released on Nintendo?

Nintendo console simply do not provide enough fun for everyones taste.

Yup, I don't agree.

When was the last time an game with as much freedom as GTA3 was released on Nintendo?

When is the last time the best game of a generation, hand-held or otherwise, was not released on a Nintendo system? (popular opinion)

Nintendo doesn't have the biggest library, they just tend to have the "best" games. Now one may not like said games, that's your/their opinion, hard to deny Nintendo's track record for their releases tho in terms of a quality product. One can not say the same for PlayStation or the X-box.

Yup, I don't agree.

When is the last time the best game of a generation, hand-held or otherwise, was not released on a Nintendo system? (popular opinion)

Nintendo doesn't have the biggest library, they just tend to have the "best" games. Now one may not like said games, that's your/their opinion, hard to deny Nintendo's track record for their releases tho in terms of a quality product. One can not say the same for PlayStation or the X-box.

Of course people go nuts for the new Zelda, Mario, Metroids... but that was not the point I was trying to make.

I was just simply stating why Nintendo had done so poorly these past console generations.

Sony might be in trouble this generation and it's not because of what Nintendo or Microsoft is doing, it'll be their own doing. I like the fact Sony is truly trying to make a next-gen console unlike what Nintendo and Microsoft have done but that decision is going to price themselves out of the average consumer's home. Come this Holiday season people would rather spend $250 on a Wii or $300 on a 360 than laying down $600 on a PS3. Hell, you could buy both a 360 and a Wii and save $50.

I think Sony needs to seriously consider dropping the blue ray drive and going with DVD-HD, that way they can price themselves at the same price of a 360 and still have a more powerful system. Even though having a more powerful system isn't going to win you the console war. Did Sony forget that the PS2, which was released in 2000, outsold the Xbox and GameCube and it was not as poweful as either of those consoles? Why? Games, it's all about games.

I think Nintendo has the best chance to win this next-gen war. They have strong support in Japan and here. I think the Wii will have better 2nd and 3rd party software support than the Cube did because of the possibilities with the Wii controller. Nintendo has a strong line-up of 1st party games which includes Zelda at launch and the price of the Wii is affordable for the average consumer. I think the Wii has the potential to get non-gamers and casual gamers to go out and buy one simply because of the controller. Nintendo may not have the most powerful console on the market but they realize they don't need one and the focus should be on the games.

As for Microsoft, if Sony fails with the PS3 then the 360 will be #2 but if that doesn't happen then I look for the 360 to come in at #3. The 360 is basically a glorified Xbox and really not much of an upgrade if you ask me. I thought the Xbox was a good system hardware wise and it should have been supported for 2 more years before MS released their next console. Honestly, the games don't look that much better on the 360 than they do on an Xbox. I was not impressed with MS at E3 - they have ONE game to look forward to this year - Gears of War and their other "big" games won't be out until late 2007. MS still hasn't learned from it's failures with the Xbox - you have to have a strong game selection for people to rush out and buy your system. I loved it when all those people ate up a 360 at launch and then 1-2 months later were selling it on ebay because of the lack of games. Maybe it's too early to tell. I know the Xbox didn't have any support from Japan but the 360 is starting to get a little even though the console sales over there suck. I think in order for the 360 to be #1 they have to have strong support and sales in Japan and that's not going to happen.

Personally, I'm getting a PS3 because one, it's a PlayStation and the PS has been home to some of the best games the last 10 years and two, the cost of a stand alone blue ray drive is going to be $1000 and I'll be able to get that plus a gaming machine for $600 - a freakin' steal.

Edited by Setzer

There are a lot of things to consider with the PS3.

Blue-ray player for one, which from what I've seen is $1000 standard.

It's a Playstation, which means it will house the future version of all the previews Playstation hits. It will also be able to play most (I still don't buy the hole 100% backwards compatible talk) PSone and PS2 titles which honestly is a HUGE selling point for me, since I still play PSone games quiet frequently.

The multimedia angle is interesting, doesn't really appeal to to myself... but I also remember not caring about the PS2 being able to play DVDs which eventually turned into something I used quiet a lot (and still do... since I'm too cheap to buy a proper DVD player). The better online play looks great. I really hate the way PS2s network adapter works, it just sucks.