Who will win the console war?

Who will win the console war?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the console war?

• Sony's PS3
    • Microsoft's 360
    • Nintendo's Wii

What FPS other than the two Halo titles caused Xbox not to be a "giant failure"?

I'm going by market share, not profits.

Exactly. The Xbox was just a way for MS to penetrate the console market, and they got a pretty big share of it(20%). But the for each Xbox sold, MS actually lost money, not gained. For Sony and MS, their consoles are part of a larger corporate goal, while Nintendo are still struggling with the "just a console"-idea, since they actaully have to make money of it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

The Wii....well the name hurts a bit, many big titles missing launch, not nearly as powerful as the other systems, but it's got Zelda on launch, the controller, and will be signifigantly cheaper.

I remember reading somewhere that they planned it this way with a number of big titles coming after the launch. I think they said they were doing this to hopefully avoid the game droughts that the Gamecube had. Release all your games at launch but then not have anything for the next 6 months and thereby nothing to hype up the console. If you space them out then you have something to hype up and keep the console fresh in the mind of the public.

the real question, as I see it, is not whether the 360 will remain a viable platform, but, rather, will MS have to destroy the PC gaming market to enshrine the 360 (and future Xbox generations).

and that is a very good question. one of complaints we keep hearing from people is that Sony has exclusive titles while Xbox/X360 titles are "PC copies". Well, then the answer is more titles that can only run on the 360. They are already moving in that direction with the Mass Effect trilogy and other games.

if the PC gaming market is destroyed, then occidental-style games will migrate to the Xbox-type console first.

The Wii....well the name hurts a bit, many big titles missing launch, not nearly as powerful as the other systems, but it's got Zelda on launch, the controller, and will be signifigantly cheaper.

I remember reading somewhere that they planned it this way with a number of big titles coming after the launch. I think they said they were doing this to hopefully avoid the game droughts that the Gamecube had. Release all your games at launch but then not have anything for the next 6 months and thereby nothing to hype up the console. If you space them out then you have something to hype up and keep the console fresh in the mind of the public.

Fair enough.

Nintendo is going to be launching with both Metroid and Zelda. They can do without Mario Galaxy for a bit to thwart a drought. Im more interested in Trauma Center, looks cool =) Id prefer it to be more like Life and Death, but i dont think thats possible.

As for Assassin's Creed.. well it was first announced for 360 back at X05. Now Ubisoft will only say that its been confirmed for PS3 and any 360 release is "no comment." Adding to that there were rumors that it was running off of a 360 at E3, and this is Ubisoft we are talking about, I expect to see AC on every console, Wii included.

WHAT A HORRIBLE NIGHT TO HAVE A CURSE.

Funny. :(

I still place my bets on the PS3.

... and why not, with my PC + PS2 I managed to play every game I wanted to last generation (well, I had to borrow my Buddies Gamecube to play Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4). As long as PC gaming is a viable platform, I will never need to touch an M$ console.

Funny.  :(

I still place my bets on the PS3.

... and why not, with my PC + PS2 I managed to play every game I wanted to last generation (well, I had to borrow my Buddies Gamecube to play Wind Waker and Resident Evil 4).  As long as PC gaming is a viable platform, I will never need to touch an M$ console.

Exact same thing for me. PC + PS2 = No need for anything else.

All games worth playing on XBox are available on PC(except Halo 2 but it's coming) and most games worth playing on Gamecube are multi-platform.

For me, console gaming has been pretty much dead this gen. There are maybe 1-2 titles I'd have wanted to play. Now, one is coming up for the PC. The other one was a GC title, so I could play that on the Wii if I get it. If the Wii doesn't live up to expectations, then it'll just be the status quo of consoles being irrelevant for me. MGS4 and FF13 just don't make me hot. The 360 has Mass Effect to make me look their way, but it's not even remotely a system seller.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

It seems a bit ironic that despite the Wii pushing 'innovation', yet seems to be the safe haven for old-school franchises.

AMN: So, what plans do you have for Metal Slug 6?

Ben Herman: Still undecided as to what we'll do with it. It's a 2-D game so we can't bring it to PS3 or Xbox 360 as is. Quite possibly it will come to a Nintendo system because Nintendo is certainly does not have a high-definition requirement but we're still analyzing our plans for that. In our agreements with Sega-Sammy, essentially we do not announce any console plans until a certain time period has passed and we're still within that time-frame.

Keiji Inafune: PlayStation 3, probably the target audience that's going to purchase the PlayStation 3, uh, it's

going to be people with a lot more money, and maybe it would not be the most suitable, uh, platform for the

Mega Man series.

Sean: I agree.

Keiji Inafune: However, the Wii definitely has some potential, and it's maybe one where our target audience

could embrace the Mega Man series. So while we haven't planned anything specific now at this time, I think

probably that the potential is the highest on that piece of hardware.

Has HD killed 2D gaming?

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

As for Assassin's Creed.. ..there were rumors that it was running off of a 360 at E3..

Links please.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

As long as sony doesn't alienate the 3rd party developers like nintendo did, I think they'll stay on top.

Unless a lot of the games/series that were on the PS2 migrate to the 360 this time around.

Why does it have to be a war? Can't we all just get along?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Hurry for Communism!

I mean, hurray for Communism comrad!

Am I right fellas? I mean, am I right?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.