Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Time to start planning my new computer

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

Dark_Raven

Dark_Raven

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 13727 posts

DDR2, FTW

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DDR3 is right around the corner. :p

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Gold Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
I haven't seen the DDR2 standard with any of the Athlon motherboards. I've never built an AMD system before, so maybe I'm just not understanding it correctly.

Oh, I don't have the video card on the list. That's going to increase the price by almost $300.

Edited by Eldar, 15 May 2006 - 08:21 AM.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer

I haven't seen the DDR2 standard with any of the Athlon motherboards.  I've never built an AMD system before, so maybe I'm just not understanding it correctly.

That's because AMD have been using DDR1 until now. They are going to introduce Socket AM2 in a couple of months, and with it, DDR2 support.

For the record, DDR2 does give you more bandwidth, but suffers from latency issues. For your day to day applications and games, latency seems much more critical. Only some heavy scientific benchmarks seem to benefit from DDR2 (correct me if I'm wrong about this please, I haven't hunted around much). At the same time, Intel aging platforms perhaps did benefit from DDR2.

Poor AMD! Hypertransport was doing perfectly fine with DDR1... They had to do some *crazy* amount of tweaking to get their DDR2-based system up to the performance of their DDR1 system.

Edit: Some links...
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2738
http://www.anandtech...doc.aspx?i=2741

Edited by angshuman, 15 May 2006 - 09:05 AM.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
Which is why I had no problems opting for the DDR1 solution that I will be getting.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

If I were going to buy right now, this would be a likely list.  However, coming in way under budget, I wonder if I should upgrade my CPU and Motherboard as a first priority or the Video card.  Comments?

Update ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$224.99 $224.99
Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
$297.00 $297.00
Update CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail
$189.00 $189.00
Update Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$89.99 $89.99
Update ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW1608P2S - OEM
$36.99 $36.99
Update Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker - Retail
$103.99 -$5.00 Instant $98.99
Update Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM
$84.99 $84.99

Subtotal: $1,021.95

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Motherboard and RAM are fine. CPU is a bit long in the tooth, and games that require a lot of CPU (e.g. physics-intensive games, and also games like Rome: Total War) will crawl ... that CPU is about three years old, isn't it? :)

I would back Bok and Spider's recommendation for a faster harddrive. Even buy two (or three, or four :D) smaller ones and stripe them, for added speed ... just buy a humungous one for secondary storage, as well. Also, try to get one with a 16MB cache and SATA-II support, as this will make a difference.

You make no mention of a PSU: I would recommend a good one, especially if you are even remotely considering SLi: that requires good, stable power.

I am also about to pick up a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), which are c. £50 for a small one. Not because I want to have a controlled power-down, should there be a black-out (Windows may be flakey, but unless you are working on mission-critical data a power-off rarely causes irredeemable damage); more because it grants excellent line filtering and even smoothes out brown-outs.

Don't foget cooling is paramount, if you are going to have a high-end GPU, and especially two. The stock coolers generally are noisy (small fans have to rotate faster to move the same volume of air, after all, and they make a decidedly annoying whine). Arctic do GPU and CPU fans for about £20, IIIRC.

No point in having an expensive GPU with a crap monitor, either.

metadigital

metadigital

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 15352 posts

DDR2, FTW

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DDR3 is right around the corner. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

DDR3 for PCs (as opposed to GPUs) is over a year away.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer

Motherboard and RAM are fine. CPU is a bit long in the tooth, and games that require a lot of CPU (e.g. physics-intensive games, and also games like Rome: Total War) will crawl ... that CPU is about three years old, isn't it? ermm.gif

Heh, considering my older, single core 3500+ has zero problems playing a game like Rome: Total War, I doubt his will.

I'm 99.9999% sure that that processor is not 3 years old. Especially seeing as I can still buy new ones. It's one of the dual cores from AMD, and my friend just got it not too long ago with a GeForce 7800 GTS, and there's nothing he can't play. He watches movies and surfs the internet (on his second monitor) while playing World of Warcraft on insane detail settings.

CPU power is not an issue with him.

Sargallath Abraxium

Sargallath Abraxium

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1325 posts

If I were going to buy right now, this would be a likely list.  However, coming in way under budget, I wonder if I should upgrade my CPU and Motherboard as a first priority or the Video card.  Comments?

Update ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$224.99 $224.99
Update AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ Manchester 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA3800BVBOX - Retail
$297.00 $297.00
Update CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail
$189.00 $189.00
Update Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$89.99 $89.99
Update ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW1608P2S - OEM
$36.99 $36.99
Update Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker - Retail
$103.99 -$5.00 Instant $98.99
Update Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM
$84.99 $84.99

Subtotal: $1,021.95

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...yer mobo looks good, as does the 3800+ X2 (I've mine OC'ed to 2.4 GHz an' can run 2.2 GHz on stock freakin' voltage; loverly, the AMD dual cores be)...but, if yer budget allows, why not grab a 4400+ X2 wit' the 2x1 mb L2 cache (me Cuz Clarie jus' dropped one in his new rig an' she smokes me 3800+; she'll do 2.5 GHz on stock voltage alone an' the extra cache seems ta help out loads)...also, if yer game, I'd drop the Corsair memory an' grab 2 gigs o' OCZ Platinum goodness (me next upgrade from the 1 gig o' OCZ Platinum Rev. 2 I gots now)...also, fergit Western Digital an' grab a new 320 gig Seagate 7200.10 16mb cache SATA 2 hdd...an' a BenQ DW1655 lightscribe burner...I gots the Logitech Z-2300 speakers an' they're sweet fer a 2.1 setup, good choice...an' if yer goin' wit' XP, go PRO...don't sell short on yer monitor, gpu, an' psu, though; three o' the most important decisions when it comes ta a good gamin' rig...if yer lookin' fer a good modular psu, both the Enermax Liberty 620W an' the AeroCool Zerodba 620W seem ta be gittin' some stellar reviews an' are dead silent (an' ya canna go wrong wit' Enermax; I luvs me 485W Noisetaker)...if yer not lookin' modular, I'd grab the 485W Enermax Noisetaker or the new OCZ GameXStream 600W (another one wit' some pretty sweet reviews)... :thumbsup:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Thanks for the input, one and all. Good to see you're still haning out, Sarge.

Anyhow, I'll look into these and post the new information with your suggestions in mind.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Don't believe teh meta. He must have mistaken your processor because my experience with those dual cores has been pretty good.

I'm getting the 4200+ for what it's worth, which is the next step up from your 3800+

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Okay, here you go. I'd like comments on all of this, but I'm particularly interested in opinions regarding the motherboards. I've separated them quote the total for each at the end.

Update  Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail
$82.50 

Update  ASUS EN7900GTX/2DHTV/512M Geforce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$489.99 

Update  SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail
$169.99 

Update  AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail
$460.00 

Update  CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail
$188.00 

Update  Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM
$274.99 

Update  ASUS 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black E-IDE/ATAPI Model DRW1608P2S - OEM
$36.99

Update  Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM
$5.99

Update  ZALMAN CNPS9500 LED 92mm 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan with Heatsink - Retail
$63.99

Update  Logitech Z-2300 200 watts RMS 2.1 Speaker - Retail
$103.99  -$5.00 Instant    $98.99 

Update  Microsoft Windows XP Home With SP2 - OEM
$89.99

Update  GENERIC 18" 2-Head Red SATA (SERIAL ATA 150) Cable Model SERIAL ATA 18 - OEM
$2.99

Now, I'm determined to come in at 2k. So, if you think a UPS is vital, then you should give me an idea of where I can cut corners elsewhere to meet budget. Already, this is a bit over, but I figure I can look around and find some of the items for less or get ideas on possible corners to cut.

Here are the totals for the two systems:

Update  Open Box: ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - OEM
$93.99

TOTAL:  $2,058.40

Update  ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce SPP 100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
$199.99 

TOTAL:  $2,164.40

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
If you wanted to drive up here to get them I could probably get them with my boss' wholesale account...

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
I'm going to be up in the Napa Valley area on vacation in mid-July. Of course, could we trust each other? :Eldar's raised eyebrow with a hint of a smile icon:

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Sounds like an invitation to gain your trust, take you to the "shop" out in the middle of the desert, and introduce you to the dirt, Joe Pesci style.

Llyranor

Llyranor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 6812 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:Gabrielle
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Nah, Fengshuang isn't that type of deranged individual.

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
Or am I?!! Dun, dun, dun.

Napa would actually be pretty good considering I've been meaning to take a trip out that way for awhile now. Hm.

angshuman

angshuman

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 679 posts
  • Deadfire Backer
  • Fig Backer
Rumors abound that the insane GeForce 7950 GX2 is going to retail for around $600 at launch. Since you're already over budget, you probably wouldn't be interested. Still thought I should mention it since you'll get almost twice (subject to final clocks of course) your current gfx processing for $110 more.

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
He wouldn't be over budget if he takes me up on my offer...

In fact he'd be insanely underbudget!

Cantousent

Cantousent

Forum Moderator

• Validating
  • 5895 posts
  • Kickstarter Backer
Okay, how do you propose this would work, Child? BTW: I'm good for a coffee at any rate. It's just the specifics of this arrangement that worry me.

If I can get wholesale pricing on some of this stuff, of course I'm interested.

Fenghuang

Fenghuang

(8) Warlock

• Members
  • 1087 posts
I'm not sure, the real problem is the exchange of goods and money. I'd either have to come up with enough of my own to front it until I could get it down to you for the payoff, of you'd have to send me some (probably not the best idea over the internets).

After that it's easy, I give the list of parts to my boss, he uses his wholesale account to buy them, they get delivered and there's generally a small shipping fee, $12 or somesuch, then I pay him, I can do with the parts what I want, which would mean driving down to the Napa Valley and exchanging them with you for money assuming I fronted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users