Time to start planning my new computer

Okay, here you go. I'd like comments on all of this, but I'm particularly interested in opinions regarding the motherboards. I've separated them quote the total for each at the end.

Update  Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-B Blue Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail

$82.50 

Update  ASUS EN7900GTX/2DHTV/512M Geforce 7900GTX 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$489.99 

Update  SeaSonic S12-600 ATX12V 600W Power Supply - Retail

$169.99 

Update  AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ Toledo 2000MHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core Processor Model ADA4400CDBOX - Retail

$460.00 

Update  CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model Twinx2048-3200c2pt - Retail

$188.00 

Update  Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM

$274.99 

Update  ASUS 16X DVD

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I'm going to be up in the Napa Valley area on vacation in mid-July. Of course, could we trust each other? :Eldar's raised eyebrow with a hint of a smile icon:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Rumors abound that the insane GeForce 7950 GX2 is going to retail for around $600 at launch. Since you're already over budget, you probably wouldn't be interested. Still thought I should mention it since you'll get almost twice (subject to final clocks of course) your current gfx processing for $110 more.

Okay, how do you propose this would work, Child? BTW: I'm good for a coffee at any rate. It's just the specifics of this arrangement that worry me.

If I can get wholesale pricing on some of this stuff, of course I'm interested.

Obsidian Plays

I'm not sure, the real problem is the exchange of goods and money. I'd either have to come up with enough of my own to front it until I could get it down to you for the payoff, of you'd have to send me some (probably not the best idea over the internets).

After that it's easy, I give the list of parts to my boss, he uses his wholesale account to buy them, they get delivered and there's generally a small shipping fee, $12 or somesuch, then I pay him, I can do with the parts what I want, which would mean driving down to the Napa Valley and exchanging them with you for money assuming I fronted.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

I don't mind meeting you to get the parts. The real problem is exchanging the money for the parts so the parts are there so I can give you the money and you can give me the parts.

That's the problem with the internet. I mean, I sent a couple of boxes to Atreides a while back and he sent me a money order after he received them. ...But that was just a little over a hundred dollars, I think. I basically gave him my MtG cards and charged him for the shipping. This is going to be over a thousand dollars.

Well, I'd still like some comments on the components I've proposed. Maybe I can word on that. I might wait and get the upgraded GeForce 7950 GX2. It's like working a jigsaw puzzle. I can get x part but only if I substitute a cheaper part for y.

That's why it's so important to know which part should be a priority.

Obsidian Plays

The problem isn't that we disagree. It's that we can't find a way around it. :Eldar's ***-eating grin icon:

So, Which motherboard is better?

Obsidian Plays

Gromnir has found that a $1000-$1300 computer obsolesces, even with upgrades after a couple of years. a $2000 computer becomes obsolete 3 months later.

now monitors... monitors can be with you a good long time. we try not to go cheap on the monitors... but we is still frugal.

however, with the rig you is buying, why go cheap on the mobo?

asus ali: asus A8N32-SLI deluxe

asus crossfire: asus A8R32-MVP deluxe

if you suddenly decides that you is an oc freakboy, then go with one of the dfi lanparty boards

have never once regretted going with a better mobo for more money. in the long run our computers last lots longer with a better mobo... can only upgrade so much with a deficient mobo holding you back... but Gromnir is pretty simple as far as computer building goes... no oc stuff and no crazy configs.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

You know, angshuman, I was looking and the price for the GeForce 7950 GX2 seems set at considerably higher than $600. Where did you get the information about the pricing?

If you're right about the pricing, it might be worth it. I'm just wondering where you got the info.

Obsidian Plays

if you suddenly decides that you is an oc freakboy, then go with one of the dfi lanparty boards

Seconded. Nothing overclocks like a DFI Lanparty.

That's what I've got along with a Coolermaster Aero 7+ on my 2500+ XP chip and I managed to get it up there at 3200 speeds even though it's got the locked multiplier on it. :D

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

You know, angshuman, I was looking and the price for the GeForce 7950 GX2 seems set at considerably higher than $600.  Where did you get the information about the pricing?

If you're right about the pricing, it might be worth it.  I'm just wondering where you got the info.

http://www.theinq.net/?article=31719

Inquirer FTW. :D Don't hold me to it, I said "Rumor"! :)

I'm going to keep an eye out for it. Gromnir et al have convinced me to go all out on the motherboard.

Right now, the motherboard, processor, and video card are my main priorities.

Obsidian Plays

Don't forget harddrive: the Raptor is brilliant and arguably more important than CPU. Gromnir makes a good point about the monitor: you'll be staring at it for a long time.

Your choices are all great, maybe use OCZ RAM ... you haven't mentioned sound card or I/O (mouse and keyboard), either ...

After playing Quake 4 today, I now have less games I want to play (FEAR, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, etc), because my 'puter is not fast enough to play them ... :(

*goes off to play Tomb Raider on the PSone ...*

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I find the raptor hard drivers overrated personally. It lets me load programs faster and do all that file transfer stuff quickly, but the place where I'm concerned about performance is gaming and I don't see much improvement, outside of the initial load.

Having bucketloads of RAM probably helps.